DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Cliff Hanger

Live Music 2020

Posted (edited)

The old Live Music thread hasn't been posted to for a while, so I figured this was preferable to necromancy.  Saw TSOL and the Dwarves last night, having never seen a truly old school punk act live outside of festivals, and I'm not sure if I've ever felt more out of place at a show.  It was a lot of fun, but man did I feel like a tourist as someone who likes the music but has never been part of The Scene.

So far this year I have tickets to Queensryche in January and Bad Religion/Alkaline Trio in April.  Got my eyes out for other stuff; I'd really like to get back to one show a month even if nobody on my bucket list is playing.

In 2019 I managed to knock TSOL, GNR, the Cure, Bruce Hornsby, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Metric and mc chris (shut up I was 23 when Adult Swim started) off my bucket list, saw Dream Theater, Joe Jackson, Bob Mould, Weird Al and Robyn for a second time and CHVRCHES for a third, plus saw the Slants at their last-ever con show.  So not bad.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

Posted (edited)

Last ever Avoided show, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Deceased/Bat/Savage Master, a local punk show... Jesus fuck, I only went to four shows last year?! Unless I was dragged to something drunk and don't remember. I bought a ticket for Blood/Nunslaughter but never got a ride up and wasn't going alone. That made me really mad. 

My first hope for the year ahead is to see Autopsy/Cianide/Molder in March. 

Oh, and my buddy Greg saw TSOL last year too, loved em

Edited by Curt McGirt

Sadly, no word on a 2020 US tour for Mark Knopfler... I am bummed. I really want to see both Roy Wood and Knopfler one more time before they hang it up for good. Knopfler's new album is the best thing he's done since the glory days of Dire Straits, I'm totally digging it. At 70 he's making quite the case for being the best guitar player alive.

Posted (edited)

Forgot that I did get drunkenly dragged to go see La Armada, who for pretty much being a nu metal band in anarcho/crust clothing, are fun live. 

And my buddy (and musical genius) Chris Black is also performing at the Autopsy show with his Professor Black project. Though it doesn't match his work in High Spirits, Dawnbringer, Superchrist, or Pharoah, it's his tribute to Lemmy and Motorhead and believe me, there isn't anyone more suited for such a task than him: 

https://heavymetalismyway.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-rock

Edited by Curt McGirt

Concert Goals for 2020: (not sure how many of these I will accomplish)

Catch Multiple Umphrey's McGee Shows this year

Joe Russo's Almost Dead (I've yet to see this one in person).

Dead & Company

Foo Fighters

Greensky Bluegrass

Sweetwater 420 Fest