DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

In trying to install Cyberpunk on my ps5, I've had to delete the three or four ps4 games I had installed on the machine as well as Miles Morales. This lack of memory is the shits.

Damn dude, I've got the PS5 version of No Man's Sky and Miles Morales, and then Ratchet & Clank, Rise of Tomb Raider, Black Ops 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn and I still have like 240GBs left after Cyberpunk. How is this possible?!

Speaking of Miles Morales - about an hour or two ago, it got an updated that adds Performance RT mode. A somewhat weaker (but still gorgeous) version of ray-tracing with 60fps.

13 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 197th Platinum trophy with Destiny 2 for PS5. Probably the fastest I've ever earned a Platinum.

Essentially, download the PS5 upgrade, put the disc in, load the game, and voila instant Platinum if you've already gotten it for PS4.

I first read this as it was your 197 platinum ON the PS5 and I was like "Well POE! just confirmed he is a time traveler"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Has anyone who's played any of Path of Exile have an alternative recommendation for ARPGs?  Keep in mind I don't care for the cartoonish art style of Torchlight & Grim Dawn, and the biggest reason why I don't want to play PoE or Grim Dawn is that, frankly, the endgame content is too fucking hard to the point of being frustrating.

Last Epoch looks interesting on Steam, but it's still early-access.  I guess I could try Diablo 3, but I'm not the least bit interested in paying AAA prices for a game that's going on 7 years old.

Getting sick of/ragequitting PoE *still* makes me hate the fact that Marvel Heroes died as quick as it did.

Two MMOs I play updated this week, and goodness the difference in companies...

Star Wars: The Old Republic put out 6.2 yesterday, which we've been waiting for nearly a year. And it's bugged all over the place. Both flashpoints are nearly impossible in story mode even with top tier gear. Sounds glitches make a lot of the early dialog impossible to hear. I'll be waiting a long time to play this, mostly likely, since as a non-subscriber I don't have access to the best gear.

Final Fantasy XIV put out 5.4 Monday, and hey! It runs! It was obviously rigorously tested! I'm waiting a few days for the crowds to die down before I go through it.

Poor BioWare. How the mighty have fallen.

Been playing the heck out of Assassin's Creed: Rogue the last couple weeks.  I've had it for me PS3 for the longest time but never really got into it.  I tried it right after beating Black Flag and was kinda burned out.  And the choppy performance of the game turned me off.  Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I realize that I have the game in Uplay library from a giveaway or something.  "Hmmm...why not?"  I think and install it on my PC.  Now this is more like it.  1440p @ 60fps sure beats whatever the PS3 was trying to do.  

Mechanically, the game is basically identical to Black Flag with tons of the same activities - naval combat, harpooning, etc.  But it works really well, just as it did in that game.  The collectibles are almost all the right difficulty as are the missions so am going for 100% completion on everything.  And hardly any modern day stuff, which is a bonus.  There's the usual bunch of stuff that's annoying or weird, as with any AC game (random glitches like people or weapons that shoot into the sky, "optional" mission requirements that the game doesn't tell you about until you've finished the mission, etc) but overall the game is great.  So glad I gave it a shot.

• Like 1

I beat Assassin's Creed Valhalla today, just in time to play Cyberpunk which I'm getting in a few hours. I'll spoiler tag my thoughts on the ending since its still a fresh game, although I'll try to avoid saying anything overly spoily related to the plot itself:

Spoiler

I didn't like it. I enjoyed the game as a whole, as its my favorite play style in general, but the ending fell flat. It felt like the game had four different ending points but maybe only the first was satisfying, which was the part related tn the Animus and going back to Norway. But even someone that has played almost all the AC games (me) didn't get many of the references and implications, and since I didn't do all the side missions I missed out on some explanation of the story (I read about it online after I was done). The end of the "capture England" story just ended with a thud and didn't feel like a big moment, and while I liked the story they went for to end The Order storyline it also didn't feel like a climax. I guess I was looking for a big final fight, or a epic castle takeover, or something but didn't get it. I'd still recommend it for those that enjoy Ubisoft open-world games, it just didn't give me that "yay I beat the game after 80 hours" satisfactory feeling.

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't read reviews or watch play videos of games I know I am getting so I went in completely blind, and only read up on the post-game situations after I had beaten each storyline. I'm not sure I would have done anything different anyway but I didn't know what was coming.

Got my 198th Platinum with Battlefield Hardline for PS4. Had help with the three online trophies but overall the game is rather easy, even on Hardline difficulty. The only problem is you can't skip the cutscenes.

This is probably one of EA's best campaigns but not as good as Dead Space (for obvious reasons). I had wished Visceral survived and there were a Battlefield Hardline 2 to continue the story.

Spoiler

The ending literally has the character you play, Nick Mendoza, become the villain and take everything from the villain being chased for the entire game, Julian Dawes.

I imagine if there were a sequel, you would still play Mendoza and would have Khai Dao as your chief of security, Tyson Latchford as your vice president, and Marcus Boone as your chief of IT and R&D. You hear from Roark, who is threatening to blow the lid on Mendoza and his company. A person from Nick Mendoza's father's past reaches out to offer help -- it turns out to be Nick's father himself. Nick and his father team up to take down Roark after he unleashes a computer virus in Preferred Outcomes that siphons all the money away from Nick.

Too bad it won't happen.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tabe said:

Been playing the heck out of Assassin's Creed: Rogue the last couple weeks.  I've had it for me PS3 for the longest time but never really got into it.  I tried it right after beating Black Flag and was kinda burned out.  And the choppy performance of the game turned me off.  Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I realize that I have the game in Uplay library from a giveaway or something.  "Hmmm...why not?"  I think and install it on my PC.  Now this is more like it.  1440p @ 60fps sure beats whatever the PS3 was trying to do.  

Mechanically, the game is basically identical to Black Flag with tons of the same activities - naval combat, harpooning, etc.  But it works really well, just as it did in that game.  The collectibles are almost all the right difficulty as are the missions so am going for 100% completion on everything.  And hardly any modern day stuff, which is a bonus.  There's the usual bunch of stuff that's annoying or weird, as with any AC game (random glitches like people or weapons that shoot into the sky, "optional" mission requirements that the game doesn't tell you about until you've finished the mission, etc) but overall the game is great.  So glad I gave it a shot.

I am playing the Ezio collection randomly and have been playing Assassin's Creed II  Love the story so far. 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I am playing the Ezio collection randomly and have been playing Assassin's Creed II  Love the story so far. 

That's my favorite game, and game character, ever. The story is awesome. 

• Like 1

Space Invaders Forever is a huge missed opportunity. SI Extreme remains an absolute classic, but Gigamax isn't much fun outside of its gimmick (ultra wide screen game for 4, originally projected onto a building) and the mobile-to-console port of Arkanoid vs Space Invaders is so lazy that you have to use the touchplate on PS4 to move your paddle.  For both this and the Invincible Collection they should have dumped AvSI in favor of Infinity Gene. You can get Extreme by itself on Steam and that's my recommendation.

Finished (basically) Assassin's Creed Rogue.  There's a handful of extraneous naval missions that I haven't done, some stupid modern day stuff and one regular mission that's at 90% completion because of one those "haha, you failed an optional objective you weren't made aware of!" deals.  And one other thing*.  

Overall, the game is fantastic.  The story is terrific, the game looks great, and it plays great outside of occasional issues with the controls.  Am sooooo glad I decided to give the game a shot.  As a side note, this is the first PC game I've beaten in a long, long time.  Perhaps since the first Dungeon Siege or Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. Yeah, it's been a long time.  

Now to take on Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla.    Have the first two on PS4, just basically haven't played them.  We'll see if I play them there or stick with the PC where I'll have to rebuy them but performance should be better.

* - the one other thing I haven't done is complete a "Legendary" sea battle.  That particular mission is the most ridiculous, unfair mission I can remember in a game since I don't even know when.  Basically, the ship you're fighting is way, way, way, way more powerful than you in every way.  And then you have to beat two more ships when that one gets almost destroyed.  The other three Legendary battles are all rated 4* for difficulty and are pretty darn easy.  This one is 5* but is significantly more difficult in a cheap, unfair way.  When I Googled advice on how to beat that ship, at least 9 out of 10 links were to people saying "use the cheats".  Ugh.  

So, yeah, I'm at 97% sync right now and unsure I'll get the other 3%.  There's not much there I want to put any time into.

So I've encounted a bad glitch with Demon's Souls where it says I have 11/12 Miracles obtained and I learned the last miracle.

The trophy doesn't pop. I'm REALLY angry right now with Bluepoint Games and with my PS5. THIS is how you lose people, Sony.

EDIT: Someone on the trophy hunting site corrected me and it turns out to be that I have to have the spells/miracles on my character for it to pop. The new trophy system on PS5 is confusing to me.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Nintendo Indie World Showcase tomorrow.  Looking forward to it, though I wonder if this means we're not getting a Nintendo Direct.  Nintendo Direct's have aired past three Decembers around the 12th.

Switch had a kinda quiet year in 2020 for obvious reasons.  There are rumors Nintendo is planning a big year in 2021, but I'd like to see something actually announced.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’m not sure Animal Crossing, Origami King and Hyrule Warriors (plus clubhouse games) is a quiet year. Not to mention their sales this year. 

Yeah, I should probably walk that back.  I did a little research and The number of titles Nintendo developed/ published this year isn't much different from previous years.  

Looking forward to  the Indie World.  I end up loving at least a couple games from each presentation and there are usually at least a couple games that shadow drop after the presentation.  Trying to not get my hopes up for any huge announcements like Axiom Verge 2 or Hollow Knight: Silksong.  I do wonder if they'll announce Super Meat Boy Forever.  Apparently that's releasing on PC before the end of the  year.

I'm expecting smaller, interesting games.  Maybe Baldo?  That looked interesting.  Kinda assuming I'll have something new to play afterwards