DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

PS5 arrived today. I googled it but found little information. Has anybody else had issues getting DTS working correctly? Dolby Digital works just fine but DTS, which I get no issues out of the Xbox One X, is barely audible and doesn't really register on my receiver. Weird.

Other than that, just booted up Demon's Souls. It seems fitting to go from Hades to this. So much dying.

So'z I bought the MK11 Ultimate edition for PS4/5 and now that I'm downloading it for 5 it's saying I have the vanilla version and the separate dlc MINUS the 2nd and latest kombat pack with Rambo n co. What the hell is going on here? The website says the ultimate pack has all the dlc, including that aforementioned pack. 

Got my 193rd Platinum trophy and 1st ever Platinum trophy on PS5 with Astro's Playroom took a relatively short time to Platinum. The only drawback is the count doesn't change on my PS4 but it shows up on PSNProfiles and on PlayStation app correctly.

Getting closer to 200 Platinums. I have a few ideas as to what to do next.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, Craig H said:

So Alanah Pearce's next job after Funhaus and other stuff is writing a game for Sony Santa Monica Studios. That's pretty cool. Good on her!

Presumably not God Of War: Ragnarok - most likely the new sci-fi IP they're working on. But yeah, either way, that's cool as fuck, I'm so happy for her.

Speaking of Alanah and Funhaus, though: James & Elyse Willems, Alanah, Rahul Kohli, Bruce Greene, some IGN people, Xavier Woods, Cesaro, Tyler Breeze & Adam Cole all live streamed together playing Among Us for charity.

My worlds are colliding. Xavier was on Funhaus before, years ago, but it's so weird to hear Rahul talking to fuckin' Cesaro.

So due to not being on PS4 as much I finally got around to finishing up Ghosts of Tsushima.  I don't play as many games as others do but if that wins game of the year it more than deserves it.  Incredible story, gorgeous graphics and incredibly fun gameplay make it one of my favorite games I've played this side of Spiderman.  I created two save states so I saw both the kill and non-kill endings.  The non-kill was nice and satisfying enough but the kill option was such a punch in the gut.  Really drove home the emotional weight of the story for sure.  Now I just need to work on platimuning the game but I'm not in a huge hurry for that since it seems easy enough compared to other games.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So due to not being on PS4 as much I finally got around to finishing up Ghosts of Tsushima.  I don't play as many games as others do but if that wins game of the year it more than deserves it.  Incredible story, gorgeous graphics and incredibly fun gameplay make it one of my favorite games I've played this side of Spiderman.  I created two save states so I saw both the kill and non-kill endings.  The non-kill was nice and satisfying enough but the kill option was such a punch in the gut.  Really drove home the emotional weight of the story for sure.  Now I just need to work on platimuning the game but I'm not in a huge hurry for that since it seems easy enough compared to other games.

Ghosts Platinum might be the easiest AAA platinum I've ever seen.  Most of it came organically, I only needed a guide for the hidden shrines and to figure out what was needed for the Sly Cooper trophy.  

• Like 4

PS Store has a good Black Friday sale if anyone hasn't played some of the bigger games of the year. I got both Last Of Us Part II and Streets of Rage 4 for $50.

Almost got Avengers again, but I'm sure it'll be in another sale around the new year or Christmas. And I'm not doing that until I see and hear good things about the Kate Bishop DLC.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

PS Store has a good Black Friday sale if anyone hasn't played some of the bigger games of the year. I got both Last Of Us Part II and Streets of Rage 4 for $50.

Almost got Avengers again, but I'm sure it'll be in another sale around the new year or Christmas. And I'm not doing that until I see and hear good things about the Kate Bishop DLC.

Yeah, a lot of the "heavy hitters" are on sale.  Lot of first-party games and some of the bigger third-party hits.  Didn't see anything  of interest that I hadn't played, but decent discounts on a number of games I want to pick up digital editions of so I don't have keep the physical editions handy.

Finished Miles Morales.  Probably my game of the year.  

Played a little Black Bird this morning.  It's very strange and dark.  It was directed by Yoshiro Kimura, the ex-Square employee who co-founded the weird, experimental studio Love-de-Lic back during the PS1 era.  Love-de-Lic only put out three games - none of which got released internationally - but it gained a reputation with fans who like experimental games.  KImura is prob. best known for Moon (PS1 anti-rpg that got ported to the Switch recently) or Chulip, a weird PS2 title about a boy learning to kiss.  Anyway, Black Bird is a strange scrolling shooter about a little girl who gets ignored when she collapses on the sidewalk.  She dies, is reborn as a black bird/harbinger of destruction, and sets out to destroy the kingdom and the people who ignored her.  Short, difficult, and strange, but kinda fun.

Speaking of Black Bird, does anyone want to suggest any Switch indie exclusives?  Looking for something new to play.  Basically looking for a Switch game that's some sort of hidden gem or obscure find.  Most of my indie library is on the PS4.  Switch has a lot of indie titles that I don't know a lot about, but it seems like the better games get released for PS4 as well.  Looking for something different that's not on PS4.

Caveat: I own several hundred indie games, mostly for PS4.  I also keep up with indie review sites.  I've played the bigger name Switch "exclusives": Carrion, Hades, Ape Out, etc.  Probably looking for something that's not well-known or widely reviewed.  I.E., Black Bird, OkunoKA, Rolling Gunner, The Almost Gone, etc.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Have you played A Short Hike? I think that's only out on Switch as far as consoles go, and it's excellent. 

I'd just start going through Annapurna's stuff, which is either only on Switch or best on Switch because of the touchscreen: A Short Hike, Donut County, Florence, Gorogoa.

EDIT: I do recognize that Annapurna-published games are probably higher-profile than you're interested in, though.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

Finally got the PS5 set up, played a little... Miles Morales is great, and it's nice to drop right into it without having to relearn an unfamiliar controller scheme. Bugsnax is silly as hell but I'll absolutely play it all the way through. Astro's Playroom is a blast and another freebie that'll get played til the Platinum. Loving it all so far - especially having the PS+ Collection and being able to replace some games we owned on disc with digital. 

In short? Fuck yeah PS5.

Edit: in case anyone hadn't gotten this answered - once you add a game to your library via the PS+ Collection through the PS5 console, you can also download it on your PS4. That's pretty fucking cool. 

Edited by christopher.annino

Miles Morales is just Spider-Man PS4, but with more options for combat and none of those bad depowered Miles/MJ stealth sections, which is to say that it's a big improvement on an already great game.

Bugsnax is fucked up. Definitely play through it because it's not long and that ending is some straight fuckery. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Miles Morales is great but it's just a prettier and re-skinned version of Spider-Man 2018. Similar story beats and missions, etc. Ignoring recycled side quests like capturing pigeons again, the first combat you're thrown into as Miles Morales is basically the opening to the first game, except trade thugs for hire for convicts. I mean, it's still a great game, and the ending to this one hit me way harder than anything in the first game (I actually legit teared up).

Fuck some of these trophies, though. 100 hit combo trophy? Goddamnit.

The post-credit scene:

Spoiler

I know there was an animated series where Harry Osborn is Venom/Anti-Venom, but I'm not sure how I feel about this if that's the route they're taking. Connors will be the Lizard obviously, but I'm really curious if they'll do the Green Goblin with Norman or maybe start him out as someone trying to be a hero in public (Iron Patriot) but turns into a villain (Green Goblin). I suspect if Harry is actually Venom in the next game, he'll do the reverse - start off as a villain but by the end, if he survives the game, will be a hero/anti-hero.

Seems like money being left on the table if they don't do a solo Venom game, either a full one or something like Miles Morales.

I'm going to talk around Casey's post to say that I think this Spider-Man series doesn't make a separate game about that character set in a separate universe unmakeable. 

Sony's got multiple versions of Spider-Man and the Spider-Family going in films, so they can take that same strategy in games if they really want to. 

Oh for sure, there's still a world of possibility. Miles Morales PS4/5 is a really great extension of the earlier Spider-Man game. It's nothing groundbreaking but sometimes seconds of the same meal hit just as well as first servings. 

Yeah I love the game, I'm not trying to shit on it. I think if Sony or Insomniac or whoever decided to price the standard edition at the PS5 regular price of $69.99 I'd feel real cheated - but at $39.99 I'm not mad about it at all.

But seriously fuck that 100 hit combo.

Got an email from Microsoft saying that my (replacement? Repaired?) Series X has shipped. I don’t expect to see it this week because of the holiday, but hoping it gets here quickly. 

Edited by Shane

Final time for Yakuza 6: 46 hrs and 10 minutes, over 30 hrs shorter than my next quickest run thru one of the games (78 hrs for the Fist of the North Star spinoff) and over 200 hours less than 5. I can definitely understand why the fandom trashed it at the time; the story is a bit out there and jettisons almost the entire supporting cast, there isn't nearly as much to do and the new fighting engine was sloppy as hell. 

Still, the ending works for the characters who remain and it's been a really great couple years with these characters.  Not sure what my next "big" game will be; I'm sitting on Avengers, Star Wars Squadrons, Persona 5 Royale and, yes, Like A Dragon but maybe I'll just focus on quick hit stuff like Fuser and Spelunky for a bit.

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Okay, so the "GPU" song in Astro's Playroom is fucking GREAT, and that's on top of what's basically a glorified tech demo being an awesome experience. Please PLEASE give us a full length game ASAP. 

You mentioning the GPU song makes me want to listen to it again. Kraftwerk would be so proud of Team Asobi for that song.

• Like 1

Shadow of Mordor is probably one of the worst AAA games I've ever played that I've tried to Platinum.

The combat sucks, stealth really sucks (like you have to be quick or you break stealth easily) and the missions/collectibles aren't fun.

Nemesis system is neat I guess -- but the game feels like they spent more time working on the Nemesis system and forgetting to do everything else.