DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Yeah, I am not sorry to see Mixer go, especially after learning of the allegations concerning their racist manager.  

Microsoft had to burn it down.  No one would've paid good money to buy that piece of shit company.

Ninja's streams showed me what an awful game Fortnite is, so I thank him for that.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I’m really enjoying TLOU2 so far (about 10 hours in, in the middle of Seattle Day 2).  But, man, the difficulty swings wildly for encounter to encounter.  All the Infected encounters are incredibly easy because they’re so predictable and have a hard time detecting you, but human encounters (especially with dogs) can be balls hard.  It’s almost impossible not to get drawn into a firefight with humans.  And all the guns handle like garbage unless they’re heavily modded.  And even then, they don’t feel great.

BTW - the Mixer stuff is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to horrible humans in video game related things

A lot of stories are coming out in regards to everywhere (stuff in the Destiny streaming community was already put in that thread) but here is just one example

The whole thread is full of... just... wow

13 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m really enjoying TLOU2 so far (about 10 hours in, in the middle of Seattle Day 2).  But, man, the difficulty swings wildly for encounter to encounter.  All the Infected encounters are incredibly easy because they’re so predictable and have a hard time detecting you, but human encounters (especially with dogs) can be balls hard.  It’s almost impossible not to get drawn into a firefight with humans.  And all the guns handle like garbage unless they’re heavily modded.  And even then, they don’t feel great.

Agreed about the difficulty being all over the place.  I just finished the game an hour ago and about halfway through I really started to get frustrated by the smallest things getting me in a hole but what should have been big fights being a quick sweep.

On 6/20/2020 at 1:22 AM, Tabe said:

It's AWESOME. Absolutely perfect example of how to update a retro game. The "classic" version has identical timing to the old Apple version. 

I played a little last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Lots of levels, the classic version, etc.  Liked it enough to order the physical version this morning.

It reminds me a little of Cubic Lode Runner, if anyone's played that?  KInda the same idea, to "reimagine" and update the classic Lode Runner formula without getting too far away from traditional gameplay.  Cubic Lode Runner was 3D, though, so it isn't really the same thing.  I think I prefer Cubic LR, but I'll have to play more of Legacy before it's fair to say that.  Besides, I don't remember Cubic Lode Runner being released digitally, and copies are kinda obscure and hard to come by, so you probably haven't played it unless you were into GameCube and PS2 imports back in the day.  And there are very few GameCube importers out there (not many GameCube imports worthwhile and English language options for import titles really didn't become a thing until the PS3 era).

• Like 1

Just barely into Seattle Day 1 in TLoU2 and I can't even imagine the fits certain folks must've thrown when they saw a woman with armpit hair ?

Games are fucking gorgeous nowadays, incredibly stoked for the next gen. 

I'm so close.

"Beat" the base game of Dragon Quest 11. The post game is cooler than DQ8, Instead of it being a lot of grinding to beat Dragons it's a whole new (important) plot that answers lots of unanswered questions. I've really really enjoyed the game. I'm around Level 70 and I think I'm going to go ahead and finish the game tomorrow.

My family got me The Last of Us 2 for Father's Day and they wanna start digging on that. So I'm stoked to move off of turn based RPGs back into some action adventure shit.

I beat Just Cause 3 and got 3 trophies left before I Platinum it. I have to get five gears on 112 challenges, have every Gear MOD active, and 100% the game (which will come from getting 5 gears on everything).

Game is probably one of the jankiest AAA games I've ever seen. There's a lot of polish but some stuff was just annoying to do (see YouTube videos on trying to get a speedboat Squalo X7 from a lake). The collectibles were ok and the game's story isn't deep stuff at all. Probably written on a cocktail napkin or a sheet of paper.

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I'm so close.

"Beat" the base game of Dragon Quest 11. The post game is cooler than DQ8, Instead of it being a lot of grinding to beat Dragons it's a whole new (important) plot that answers lots of unanswered questions. I've really really enjoyed the game. I'm around Level 70 and I think I'm going to go ahead and finish the game tomorrow.

DragonQuest's weird "This is the ending LOLNOPE this over here is the ending" really soured me when I played 8. If there's actually more to the game (especially a single player, not Elder Scrolls type), why not just say so?

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I beat Just Cause 3 and got 3 trophies left before I Platinum it. I have to get five gears on 112 challenges, have every Gear MOD active, and 100% the game (which will come from getting 5 gears on everything).

Game is probably one of the jankiest AAA games I've ever seen. There's a lot of polish but some stuff was just annoying to do (see YouTube videos on trying to get a speedboat Squalo X7 from a lake). The collectibles were ok and the game's story isn't deep stuff at all. Probably written on a cocktail napkin or a sheet of paper.

My son got 77% towards to base game trophies, and I'm tempted to do clean up just for the Platinum. He's since started using his own PSN account, which is nice, but has a good few years of unfinished games on my account. 

I'll gladly take his Jedi Fallen Order plat, though (and to be fair he redid it on his account too). 

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

DragonQuest's weird "This is the ending LOLNOPE this over here is the ending" really soured me when I played 8. If there's actually more to the game (especially a single player, not Elder Scrolls type), why not just say so?

It's a little weird to me as well. I get the idea of alternate endings but in order for 8's post game to work it takes you back to your save BEFORE the final fight. Which I didn't care for. Emotionally I've already done it, I'm not interested in doing it again. And really the post game amounts to fighting Dragons or going to that island to grind on some Metal Slimes, which is tedious (but I did it anyway because the carrot on the stick looked tasty.) For 11 it's handled differently in that the post game section takes place AFTER the final fight. Like you could technically stop and say yeah, I saved the world. But if you fire up the post game it's revealed that (sort of spoiler but doesn't reveal anything superspecific specific to the main game plot)

Spoiler

You can possibly go back in time and change something tragic that happened. But you're still you, not a nerfed version of you that has to re-do all those levels. You know what's coming.

And if you do that it changes the events of the entire last act. So it gets butterfly effecty.

Me and my kids were gutted by the moment of tragedy in question so we were like FUCK YEAH let's go. 

And it's not just tacked on. Like there are multiple unanswered questions in the main game that aren't like super germane to the plot that are used for the post-games plot. 

It felt like those moments in tabletop RPGs where the players beat the main quest and are like "Hey that thing we saw earlier that we didn't know what it did... let's go figure that out now." And I appreciated it.

• Like 1

So.... there's a petition going around asking (demanding) Naughty Dog to remake The Last of Us Part II.  I didn't bother to read the articles, but I'm assuming they are demanding story changes.

Also, for the 12 people out there who though TLOU II's story needed to be even darker

Spoiler

Neil Druckmann said that, throughout much of the development cycle, the story ended with Ellie killing Abby 

Yeah, cause the story needs to be even more grim.

Finished TLOU P2 earlier this week.  Loved it.  I'm not sure it's my favorite game this year, but I'm fairly sure it will be the best game I play this year.  Game mechanics were good enough to put it near the top and the story makes it feel more like art than just a game.  I dug the story beats and what it had to say about grief and revenge, maintaining your own agency, the pointlessness of violence, etc.  It's more of an artistic achievement than, say, FF VIII Remake, but I don't know that i enjoyed TLOU more than FF VII Remake.  They're close in terms of enjoyment and both will be in my top 5.

I think my personal game of the year is still Ori and the Blind Forest.

Last night I got to the first stalker encounter in TLOU2 and fuuuuuck that.

Apparently, that enemy type was in the first game, but I don’t remember them at all.  That first stalker section was like a 10-minute anxiety attack.  Then I got out of the building, felt tremendous relief...only to find out I had to go right back in.

I had to stop for the night.

What percentage of TLOUII resentment culture is a smokescreen for not being able to control any male characters? I really don't know - I plan on finally starting Uncharted 2 this year. I'm nowhere near the loop.

The ending to DQ11 tries to have it both ways and doesn't totally fail. The first ending tells a far better story, the second ending provides a bunch more great gameplay. I like to think of the last third as top-shelf DLC they were kind enough to just give us.

• Like 2

Tonight I learned from a friend that a guy I used to know online really well (but haven't actually talked to in probably a decade) has become a rather famous Destiny streamer on twitch, even presented at E3 last year.

The bad news is the context of being told this: https://www.dexerto.com/amp/entertainment/destiny-streamer-saynotorage-accused-of-harassment-by-multiple-women-1382207

Yup, one of the key figures in the current Twitch hellscape.