DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

The Witcher 3 story is pretty freaking awesome. I don't get the whole watching it on stream thing. That itself sounds boring as fuck. It's a game. It's meant to be played so you're fully immersed in that experience. Just watching it doesn't do it justice.

I'll also say that I didn't choose Yennifer. See was strong, but I didn't think she was very nice. I settled down with the other one instead.

And I like the combat in the Witcher 3. Yeah, it's slightly derivative of the Batman games and is a little floaty, but the combat physics and spell casting works really well.

• Like 1

So, I mentioned a bit back I bought a Wii U. Tonight I was scrolling through the Nintendo Selects cheap game section on the console eShop and noticed it said I had purchased Super Mario 3D World, which I certainly had not. I figured "probably gave me a free demo" and figured, hell, I'll download and play it.

As far as I can tell, no, the full game just randomly appeared in my account at some point. It didn't ever say it was a demo with a time limit or level limit or whatever, I knocked out the first couple levels just giving it a look see, it appears to really be the full game. No idea, but I definitely never gave them money for it. And it wasn't in my list of games available to download last night.

• Like 1

Playing through Just Cause 3 since Sayonara Wild Hearts gives me a headache and is making me mad. I don't know if it's just me with JC3, but the audio mix is really low. I guess I've been spoiled by games with voice acting audible and in the mix. Then some of the other audio is way too loud.

I'm finally to the point in Dragon's Dogma where I can adventure beyond the roads a bit and am not so squishy against bandit attacks.  Starting on the Wyrm Hunt quests for the Duke.

I am lazy, so I am not terribly thrilled that Dragon's Dogma has a fast travel network that you have to set up on your own via the use of ferrystones and portable telecrystals.  Naturally each portacrystal has weight and adds to your encumbrance, so you can't just keep everything on your person or have your pawn carry everything.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

Anyway, the Ronin storyline was the best.  The Boss and Johnny Gat burying Shogo Akuji alive and then leaving Kazuo to burn to death on board an exploding ship may have been the most satisfying end mission cutscenes I have ever watched.

That probably makes me a horrible person.

Well, I'm also a horrible person then, because good gods that was so satisfying. SR2 was a blast, and the only one I was ever interested in.

• Like 2

I've been really sucked into Satisfactory the past week.  It's a first person game about building factories on an alien planet.

In practice that means building ridiculous a ridiculous spaghetti of conveyors, pipes, and power lines to get all of your inputs and outputs to where they need to go and it kicks ass.

Big week for retro comps.  Namco put out two Museums of their NES stuff, mostly arcade ports of the usual suspects but also including Legacy of the Wizard, Mendel Palace (a very cool action puzzler and the debut of Game Freak) and the console-only sequels to Mappy, Dragon Buster and Dragon Spirit, plus the SD Splatterhouse game and an entirely new (and awesome) NES de-make of Pac-Man Championship Edition in v1 and a new port of Gaplus in v2.  10 games on each for $20, with v1 being mostly core classics and v2 being stuff like Pac-Land and Dig Dug 2.  

There were also two Darius collections dropped today. I could just about justify $45 for the arcade compilation if I hadn't just spent $40 on the Namco sets but the Console Collection is six SNES/Gen/Turbo games and it costs $60 on Switch and, somehow, $78 on PS4.  I can't imagine there are more than twelve people who want to pay an extra $33 to play the Genesis version of Sagaia instead of the arcade.

Legacy of the Wizard is one of those lesser known NES games that is pretty unique and good. It was a tough game to figure out how/where to explore next, I remember struggling with it as a kid, but it was rewarding. It also had a horrible, very long password system that any modern version instantly improves by not having to deal with. For those who haven't played it, the gimmick with the game is you're exploring your classic dungeons and dragons environment in side scrolling action, but with a family of adventurers as your party, so each area of the dungeon is meant to be ideally explored by a different family member who specialize in different items and powers. You were free to pick different characters and treasures as you go. It was actually a pretty unique game for the time.

Holy fuck.  Dragon's Dogma sure does like sending me to remote corners of the planet just to farm the materials I need to upgrade new armor.

Bought a set of Chainmail Bracers and then saw that the materials required for the best quality upgrade were back in some skeleton infested dungeon far to the northeast of the capital that I cleared two days ago.

Thank God I have set up two portacrystals in the extreme north and south of the game world so I have some semblance of a Fast Travel network now.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Holy fuck.  Dragon's Dogma sure does like sending me to remote corners of the planet just to farm the materials I need to upgrade new armor.

Bought a set of Chainmail Bracers and then saw that the materials required for the best quality upgrade were back in some skeleton infested dungeon far to the northeast of the capital that I cleared two days ago.

Thank God I have set up two portacrystals in the extreme north and south of the game world so I have some semblance of a Fast Travel network now.

Just wait until you get to the endgame portion or start tackling the Bitterblack Isle stuff...

2 hours ago, dogwelder said:

Just wait until you get to the endgame portion or start tackling the Bitterblack Isle stuff...

I'm not messing with Bitterblack until the aftergame when I am 200 and right now my Strider is just 31.   I haven't even finished the Wyrm Hunt quests yet.

I wish the game would stop teasing me with adventure leads I cannot complete at my present level. 

I thought I was ready for bandits at Level 10. I was not.

At some point, I need to remember to go to the Abbey to shoot crows with my bow and continue to boost my affinity with Quina.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Just a head's up.

The fact that there are complaints about violence against dogs and it's just accepted that there is violence against people is probably a sign of a failed society.  The entire series is full of brutal, up close and personal, violence against realistically rendered human beings and no one bats an eye.  People decide they should warn you about dogs.  I'll never understand that.

• Like 2

Anyone play Lode Runner Legacy and have an opinion about it?  I'm on the fence about picking it up.  

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of ordering the physical edition from Strictly Limited Games (EU), not just downloading it.   I'd like to have a stronger feeling about it one way or the other before I invest $50-$100  and several weeks of waiting on international delivery.  Doesn't look like it was reviewed by the usual sites I rely on.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Anyone play Lode Runner Legacy and have an opinion about it?  I'm on the fence about picking it up.  

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of ordering the physical edition from Strictly Limited Games (EU), not just downloading it.   I'd like to have a stronger feeling about it one way or the other before I invest $50-$100  and several weeks of waiting on international delivery.  Doesn't look like it was reviewed by the usual sites I rely on.

Thanks.

It is the best $10 game on Switch but I can't imagine paying $100 for it.

15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

It is the best $10 game on Switch but I can't imagine paying $100 for it.

Lol, I say that a lot when I buy from physical game publishers (Limited Run, Strictly Limited, iam8bit, etc.).  Then I go to checkout and pay for my order.

Physical editions are €30 for standard and €50 for collector's edition.  I usually go for the collectible editions unless they're big boxes with statues or replica batomobiles or whatever inside.  Exchange rate with the dollar is 1.12 this morning, so that adds another $3-$5 + whatever shipping is.  I don't remember what Strictly Limited's shipping options are, but I generally pay for shipping upgrades - especially now when international shipping is kinda uncertain.

$100 is probably an overestimate.  When I did the math in my head, I used the conversion rate for the pound, not the euro.  

On the fence.  Games looks interesting, but not a must buy and my actual want list is still rather long.  On the other hand, I do enjoy having games from publishers like Strictly Limited on the shelf and it will most likely go out of print and I'll eventually end up paying someone on eBay a healthy markup.