DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 hours ago, Super Ape said:

So...

Switch game recommendations? I don’t have any of the higher-powered current gen stuff, and the most current system I had before I got the Switch was a PS3/Xbox 360.

You got a lot of great recommendations already but I'll just mention Untitled Goose Game.  I mean, how can you go wrong with being a goose and trolling fools in various ways?  It's just so darn fun.

I did like Arms though as it was a surprisingly good fighting game.  And Smash Brothers is just a big ol' variety of characters that's bound to have somebody/somebody to get into.

26 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You got a lot of great recommendations already but I'll just mention Untitled Goose Game.  I mean, how can you go wrong with being a goose and trolling fools in various ways?  It's just so darn fun.

Untitled Goose Game is literally the one game he said he played already ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Untitled Goose Game is literally the one game he said he played already ?

D'oh!Not sure how I missed that but at least I recommended other stuff to go with it.  But at least he picked a good one so far.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I did like Arms though as it was a surprisingly good fighting game.  And Smash Brothers is just a big ol' variety of characters that's bound to have somebody/somebody to get into.

Arms was a very fun early Switch game before they started releasing games of higher calibre. 

• Like 1

Here's what I got so far:

- Mega Man 11
- Untitled Goose Game
- Tetris 99
- I'll be getting Fitness Boxing soon. My wife got me a regular Switch (I don't want to know how much over sticker price she paid...) because she saw a FB post I made about needing one for Ring Fit Adventure, which is sold out everywhere.

I see Super Mega Baseball 3 is on there now, as is Football Manager 2020 Touch; I know that non-Mario sports games on Nintendo consoles tend to be inferior ports these days, but are there any decent Switch sports games?

3 hours ago, Control said:

This Sierra humble bundle looks fun.

I’ve probably mentioned it before, but the story of Police Quest IV getting made is bonkers and makes me want to see a mini-series based on its origins.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/a3n8ea/how-sierra-and-a-disgraced-cop-made-the-most-reactionary-game-of-the-90s

I've heard the rumor as Super Mario All-Stars 2, as in, they'll put 64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games on the same disc.

That sounds wild to me, but that's the scuttlebutt.

I think they're also re-releasing 3D World separately. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I feel like 3D World got slept on. The last level is absolute madness. It took me days to beat but it was so rewarding when I finally did. It was a bit strange because the rest of the game was mostly very easy and then they really pull out the platforming stops in the last level. 

But that All-Stars 2 idea sounds delightful and will make lots of money, some of which will be mine. I have never played Galaxy because I didn't have a Wii and neither did my friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

@Brian Fowler Sir, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is turn based combat. Supposedly the second isn't, but it's a PS4 exclusive.

Those two games, Horizon, and AC Egypt one are the PS4 games I've neglected for too long. Hopefully this summer? Hopefully!

The idea of Nintendo giving you four games, three of which are argued about as potentially the greatest games ever made in the mainstream and a fourth that they're going to have to put in work to remake just to fix its issues, one one disc for only sixty American dollars seems insane.

This is the same company that ported DKC: TF over and asked for sixty dollars. Funky Mode wasn't worth no damn sixty dollars for a game that had just been released like three years earlier. 

Then again, maybe they view their WiiU games as basically new since relatively few people played them. It sure didn't hurt them to sell Mario Kart 8 + all DLC for sixty dollars, that's for damn sure. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I feel like 3D World got slept on. The last level is absolute madness. It took me days to beat but it was so rewarding when I finally did. It was a bit strange because the rest of the game was mostly very easy and then they really pull out the platforming stops in the last level. 

Yeah, try doing that carrying a seven year old on your back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super Ape said:

I see Super Mega Baseball 3 is on there now, as is Football Manager 2020 Touch; I know that non-Mario sports games on Nintendo consoles tend to be inferior ports these days, but are there any decent Switch sports games?

I only got FIFA 18 and 19 and NBA 2K20. I think it was 20 as it had Giannis on the cover. FIFA might have had issues compared to the other ports but I enjoyed them. And NBA was a pretty good port too. There's also NBA Playgrounds 1 and 2 that were more like NBA Jam. All were pretty fun to play. 

10 hours ago, Super Ape said:

So...

Switch game recommendations? I don’t have any of the higher-powered current gen stuff, and the most current system I had before I got the Switch was a PS3/Xbox 360.

Aiming more for downloads etc. since Nintendo's big first-party games are borderline duh:

Lode Runner Legacy is $10 and the LR formula is still maybe the best action-puzzle game ever. it has all the old Apple II/C64 levels plus a ton more.

Get yourself a Flip Grip and buy PinballFX3, SNK 40th Anniversary and Namco Museum if you're interested in classics

River City Girls and Streets of Rage 4 are both amazing brawlers.

Do you have a minute to hear the story of our lord and savior Shovel Knight?

Yoku's Island Express is a neat Metroidvania built on pinball mechanics

Next time it goes on sale you may want to pick up Collection of Mana

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a very cool combination of Nethack and a rhythm game, and its side story/Zelda crossover Cadence of Hyrule has some absolute banger remixes of classic songs.

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I've heard the rumor as Super Mario All-Stars 2, as in, they'll put 64, Sunshine, and the two Galaxy games on the same disc.

That sounds wild to me, but that's the scuttlebutt.

I think they're also re-releasing 3D World separately. 

If they were to do this, I would really hope they'd come up with an alternative play control scheme for Galaxy 1+2.  On Wii it was exactly the kind of game I can never play (because I couldn't simultaneously sit close enough to the TV to see the screen and far enough away for the Wiimote to work).  

3D World getting a reissue would be RAD.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Then again, maybe they view their WiiU games as basically new since relatively few people played them. It sure didn't hurt them to sell Mario Kart 8 + all DLC for sixty dollars, that's for damn sure. 

Honestly, can you blame them? Games they made with good or even great reviews, strong install rates (especially Mario Kart 8), generally beloved by the people who actually played them... But on a console that only sold 13 million units. Considering they killed the Wii U early, and launched the Switch pretty much in the middle of the generation, it made it pretty easy to have an absurdly strong First Party lineup of games during the first couple of years. 

That said, now that I have a Wii U, there's a lot of really great games that can be had cheap used instead of paying 50-60 bucks for them on the Switch.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The idea of Nintendo giving you four games, three of which are argued about as potentially the greatest games ever made in the mainstream and a fourth that they're going to have to put in work to remake just to fix its issues.

I'm literally unsure which one isn't universally acclaimed? I mean, their Metacritic Scores are 94, 92, 98, and 97.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm literally unsure which one isn't universally acclaimed? I mean, their Metacritic Scores are 94, 92, 98, and 97.

I'm assuming he means Super Mario Sunshine.  It's review scores were great, but there's a sizable number of fans (and critics) who think it's rushed, fairly flawed, etc.  

Mario 64 was remade for DS, both Galaxies were built for use with the Wiimote, and Sunshine was teased by Nintendo's twitter last summer.

Having played through a lot of old Mario in the last five years, I'd argue strongly that Galaxy 2 is the weak link of the four - hell of a weak link, but it's a lot less that the sum of it's parts. Tons of great levels without a unifying purpose. Sunshine, on the other hand, is the third-best Mario game ever and I won't hear a word against it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Sunshine, on the other hand, is the third-best Mario game ever and I won't hear a word against it.

Yeah, Sunshine is one of my favorite Mario games.  Never really agreed with the backlash.

I actually don't like the Galaxy games that much.  I generally dislike any Wii controller except the Classic and a lot of games you'd think would support the Classic controller do not.  Especially dislike the Mario Galaxy setup, which called for players to use both the  Wiimiote and the nunchuk.  Ugh.  So, yeah, I'm good with Switch remasters that will (presumably) support a more traditional control scheme.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 5/12/2020 at 9:37 AM, Brian Fowler said:

So for some reason I bought a Wii U that was delivered Monday. I'm kinda digging this weird ass totally misguided console.

I like mine a lot. Don't play it much, but I like it. I took a big gaming holiday (save for Marvel Puzzle Quest) for years. Switch brought me back, and it also made me want to play on the U. So I've got Wind Waker HD on the go before I try BotW. Despite not playing the console very much (well, I played Mario Kart a lot), I do have a decent little game collection for it. Bayonetta 2, Mario 3D World, Xenoblade, Wonderful 101 etc. 

I missed out on Wii, as well, so the plan was I'd play key Wii games on it. I still might. I've got Metroid Prime Trilogy on there, for instance. 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:34 AM, Andrew POE! said:

I don't know if it's my PS3 but I legit wonder if my copy is possessed. I was playing along and all of a sudden I heard a female voice screaming IN THE GAME. It was very loud too. Scared the crap out of me too.

I misread that at first, and thought the voice was screaming "IN THE GAME" like a lost soul from EA Sports

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Yeah, Sunshine is one of my favorite Mario games.  Never really agreed with the backlash.

I actually don't like the Galaxy games that much.  I generally dislike any Wii controller except the Classic and a lot of games you'd think would support the Classic controller do not.  Especially dislike the Mario Galaxy setup, which called for players to use both the  Wiimiote and the nunchuk.  Ugh.  So, yeah, I'm good with Switch remasters that will (presumably) support a more traditional control scheme.

I like the idea of Galaxy but between the control scheme and going around various planets it made for a dizzying time at points.  Not sure if that's something I want in a video game be it Mario or otherwise.  Maybe it'll work better for Switch but I prefer the others games.

WiiU was fine though it only got so much love from us.  I found a lot more use for Wii and that's largely due to Wii Sports, Resort and even Wii Fit.  The other games were just a bonus.  Heck, it's high time that they get on a Switch version of Sports or Resort as that shit was fun.  Doing boxing or bowling with controls that don't require a sensor would be the best.