DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I also just now went to Skellige. The reason why it took me so long to go to Skellige is that I just have to visit every single question mark on the map to see what's there.

Just a hint: don't try to do this in Skellige, at least not the ones on the sea, as killing harpies from the boat is maybe the most annoying thing in the whole game.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:33 PM, JLSigman said:

I hated the gummi ship stuff in III. II was probably the best of the titles for that, the open space stuff of the newest game is just confusing. You are trying to head to where you think the next area planet is and suddenly you're getting smashed by enemies 10 levels above because the map is garbage. 

I am currently re-playing Kingdom Hearts II, or more precisly playing the Final Mix for the first time. The gummi ship part there is somewhat entertaining, even though I feel I have little influence at what really happens on the screen. Just having a good gummi ship build (a donut ship, as suggested everywhere) and keeping "X" pressed is enough to get an S ranking in every standard mission of the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Just a hint: don't try to do this in Skellige, at least not the ones on the sea, as killing harpies from the boat is maybe the most annoying thing in the whole game.

Ohhhh ok. I saw the vast amount of question marks in the sea and thought that all looked annoying to travel to by boat and then I wondered what it could all be for. My complaints for the game are few and far between and always have to do with movement. Like, this would be the best game ever if you could climb like you can in Breath of the Wild. Other than that, some of the close fighting gets weird when the camera loses track of what's going on and traveling by boat is so slow. Also, some of the short falls you take that kill you are really annoying.

Mortal Kombat 11 on the Switch is some good fun. So is Darksiders. I've been buying a lot of games for the Switch lately since I'm essential at work, but nobody is there, so I have nothing to do for 13 1/2 hours a night, 3 nights in a row.

Over on the PS4 side of things, I've just been fishing a lot in Far Cry 5. I've only got one Seed sibling left to kill, but still like 20 missions across the John and Faith regions to find. I think that's the most annoying part - finding the people in these regions that give the info that triggers the missions.

I beat the original Persona 5. I probably won't re-buy the Royal version even though I actually want to replay the game again(another 100 hrs of my liiiiife), and would like to see the new shit. But the game is fucking awesome regardless. Some real gross monsters. Like the....

Spoiler

Green Penis Chariot

I don't think you need to spoiler Mara, it's been in the games since the first Shin Megami Tensei

There's a new monster for golden that look like it has a dick for a head in the photos I've seen but it might not from other angles when it's actually fighting.  But Mara is an unmistakable dong.

More Witcher 3 talk. Man do I hate Skellige. For starters, there's way too much fucking water to traverse and there's not remotely enough signposts available when you go there. To add to that, most of the quests and contracts you get are so spread out that you wind up having to walk or ride for entirely way too long. I seem to recall from the Giant Bombcast when the game came out that White Orchard is where the game dragged because it's such a small area and it's kind of boring, but after those few hours, the game really opens up. That's true, but I feel like Skellige is going so much slower than White Orchard. I think I just hate all the traveling you have to do and how spread out everything is, which is impressive because it's a smaller map than Novigrad or Velen. The other problem is that the area is so mountainous and climbing in Witcher 3 is a chore. This part of the game has definitely bottle necked the experience for me.

Another problem is that I'm running into a lot of broken quests and contracts. Like, I can't complete some of them for whatever reason, but I find that if I meditate for a couple days away from the area where the NPC is at then I'll be able to finish the quest or move onto the next part.

One final issue is that the level of difficulty doesn't make sense. For instance, I decided to work a contract to find out what happened to a father's son. That leads me to a fiend and fiends are fucking huge. The last time I fought one it wiped the floor with me and it was only maybe 6 levels higher than me. This time around, I was at level 21 and the fiend was at least level 29. I hit it with an enhanced devil's puffball bomb and wipe the floor with it. Even when he blinds you and you can only see a foot in front of you I was able to easily kill it. Previously, if I happened upon a griffin or something like that I'd run. Now, it feels like everything is many levels underneath me even when something is nearly 10 levels above me. If it isn't that, then it's still running into level 1 to 6 enemies that I can one hit or all of the supposedly level 19 wolves that I can one hit. The game and level design definitely takes a hit with Skellige and the sooner I finish this part of the game and never have to return there, the better.

Oh, one last thing, sorry. So in addition to there being so much water to traverse by boat in Skellige, the main castle and the other areas are like a maze and it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out how to even get around. I was trying to go to a question mark on the map and there was no way to get there from the main castle, so I took a boat to go around the island. No joke, it took me at least 20 minutes to sail by boat around the island to try to figure out how to get to the question mark and I never found a way because each side of the island is a giant wall that you can walk up. This is why I like Novigrad and Velen because there's mountainous areas there, but you can traverse those areas and much of the surrounding lands are flat or marshy. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I liked Skellige from what I remember, though I liked taking that boat around admittedly. 

What are some examples of video games that you were unable to buy, for one reason or another, and then years later, when you got the chance to watch "Let's Play" videos or play the games on emulators or as part of retro collections, you were really thankful that you didn't waste a bunch of money buying it all those years ago?

For me, it was the Cinerama games for the Amiga.  Defender of the Crown, The Three Stooges, and Rocket Ranger all looked incredible in the promo photos that would appear in Commodore Magazine, but when I finally got to rent the NES ports years later, I was incredibly disappointed that they were all just a bunch of mini-games.

Darkwing Duck for the Turbografx 16 is another one.  I was such a huge Disney Afternoon fan, and I was upset when my local video store decided to stop renting TG16 systems and games.  In hindsight, that game is usually viewed as one of the worst ones ever for the TG/PC Engine.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I will probably take heat for this, but the original Dragon Warrior is a fucking awful game. There might legitimately be 500 better JRPG style games.

Not only is that a terrible game, the first Final Fantasy is a terrible game.  Someone more knowledgeable than me could speak on this, but I don't know if there are any truly great RPGs until the 16-bit era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Not only is that a terrible game, the first Final Fantasy is a terrible game.  Someone more knowledgeable than me could speak on this, but I don't know if there are any truly great RPGs until the 16-bit era.

FF1 was a great game If a bit derivative.  The plot really does make no sense at all, but the discovery learning was the best.  

Especially the first time you got experimental and asked yourself, "What would happen if I unequipped the Monk's nunchaku and let him used bare hand attacks?  HOLY FUCK LOOK AT THAT DAMAGE~!!"

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I will probably take heat for this, but the original Dragon Warrior is a fucking awful game. There might legitimately be 500 better JRPG style games.

I agree.  Dragon Warrior I sucked.  Dragon Warrior IV is arguably the best of the 8-Bit franchise, especially with Taloon Tormenko the dirty fighting merchant.

Taloon sweeps the legs!

WHAT~!?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I picked up the Dragon Warrior I & II remake for Game Boy Color and banged the first game out in a weekend. Very, very simple but I had fun with it. Granted, there's still a lot of QoL improvements and rebalancing that make it far more playable. Like a lack of a "Stairs" command.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29548c44d7651d8a9e97

I'm so upset right now. I just need to kill and skin a hare so I can get the hunting & fishing trophy in Far Cry 5... but I can't find a hare for the life of me in the hunting spots. I even get Boomer to be my companion, and nothing. Ugh.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Death From Above said:

I'm pretty sure the only reason that 95% of the people in the US had a copy of the original Dragon Warrior is because Nintendo was giving it away with subscriptions to Nintendo Power.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 1:28 AM, Southside Jim said:

What are some examples of video games that you were unable to buy, for one reason or another, and then years later, when you got the chance to watch "Let's Play" videos or play the games on emulators or as part of retro collections, you were really thankful that you didn't waste a bunch of money buying it all those years ago?

The correct answer is Alpha Protocol.  I had high hopes for the espionage based RPG but the gameplay looked clunky and the protagonist had the charisma of burnt toast.  Thank God I have resisted the Let's Give It A Chance urge lo these many years. 

I am saddened that no producer has picked up the IP and given Obsidian a chance to take another crack at it after Sega said "we're done," just as I am still bitter that Bioware hasn't done anything further with the Jade Empire IP.

The game may have sucked, but the concept is still worth exploring.  I thing that the mechanics from Watch Dogs 2 is a step in the right direction.

Edited by J.T.