DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

After the way too long epilogue of Trails of Cold Steel II, I'm taking a break and I've started Persona 5 Royal.  So far, I'm not sure about it, but I've been assured it gets better.  So far, I've gone to sleep , sat in traffic, gone to school, and got taken prisoner by my naked PE teacher.  I have no idea what to think of this game yet.

THe first 45 minutes every quest is like a visual novel. Once that ends you get a little more freedom to run around and do shit. But it's pretty much that same cycle every chapter.

First time I played I stopped and did something else, but when I came back I pretty much fell in love with everything in the game.

persona 5 is interesting because it gets better but then it makes sure to take a brief moment near the end to have the worst JRPG dungeon ever designed and that soured my entire opinion on the game. Maybe in Royal they fix it! God I fuckin hope so!

Anyways.

I had an existential crisis a few days ago. I was talking to someone about Dark Souls, a game I'd never beat. I reminisced about how far I got, but something about that felt off so I went and checked my steam achievements. I only had six hours in the game, and I had no achievement pointing that I got anywhere close to where I thought I did. At the same time, Dark Souls is one of my favorite games to watch speedruns and lets plays of. I've watched that game get completed dozens of times. Which means that my mind constructed a memory of a playthrough entirely through other people's playthroughs. These vicarious lives congealed in my head to trick me into thinking I had a lived experience.

So I started Dark Souls two days ago and it's going OK. I figure the only way to burn that hideous memorytangle out of my head is to make my own experience beating it. I started Deprived, and I think I'm going to be doing the entire game with the Zweihander and miracles. I also have the Demon's Great Hammer (black firebomb gift) so maybe I'll do that.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

persona 5 is interesting because it gets better but then it makes sure to take a brief moment near the end to have the worst JRPG dungeon ever designed and that soured my entire opinion on the game. Maybe in Royal they fix it! God I fuckin hope so!

Anyways.

I had an existential crisis a few days ago. I was talking to someone about Dark Souls, a game I'd never beat. I reminisced about how far I got, but something about that felt off so I went and checked my steam achievements. I only had six hours in the game, and I had no achievement pointing that I got anywhere close to where I thought I did. At the same time, Dark Souls is one of my favorite games to watch speedruns and lets plays of. I've watched that game get completed dozens of times. Which means that my mind constructed a memory of a playthrough entirely through other people's playthroughs. These vicarious lives congealed in my head to trick me into thinking I had a lived experience.

So I started Dark Souls two days ago and it's going OK. I figure the only way to burn that hideous memorytangle out of my head is to make my own experience beating it. I started Deprived, and I think I'm going to be doing the entire game with the Zweihander and miracles. I also have the Demon's Great Hammer (black firebomb gift) so maybe I'll do that.

So, should we call "Thinking I progressed further in a game than I did because of watching speed runs" The Lamp Effect?

Just got the Limited Run Collector's Edition of Cosmic Star Heroine for the PS4 in the mail. That thing is beautiful. The box is pretty big, but still so satisfying. The Sega CD style jewel case, the 70ish page booklet (two of 'em! one in the jewel case, one in the PS4 case), the character art cards, the poster, and most of all - that soundtrack.

Very happy I got this on eBay for exactly what Limited Run were charging when these things were originally in stock.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, J.T. said:

As if I didn't have enough fetchits to do in Dragon's Dogma, last night I discovered that I can fish along the water's edge.  So far, I have been afraid to go too near any large body of water because of the Brine; a mysterious species of microscopic creatures that will eat you if you venture too far out into oceans and rivers.

Capcom's way of not allowing PC's to be able to swim.  I think the Brine are stupid, because if they are lethal to me, they should be lethal to everyone and if that's the case than how does anyone make a living off of the water?

The hero of the game is a fisherman by trade for fuck's sake.

I am thinking that some of the items I need for the Patron's Board quests in Gran Soren may only be obtained through fishing.

It's been a LONG time since I last played Dragon's Dogma but I don't remember ever having to fish.  There are a couple of fetch quests where you have to look for things in water, but IIRC those were optional.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:32 AM, AxB said:

The thing about Last of Us 1 is, once you've played the Left Behind DLC, you start thinking they were mad to have released it without that included originally.

I can’t say I enjoyed playing it perse but it added so many layers and nuance to the narrative that it’s definitely a must 

the last of us is one of the worst games I've ever seen and played, but because of me and my big mouth I'll be playing through the second one for the personal benefit of a "friend". look forward to my eventual psychotic break and combative review next month!

Dark Souls update: I have reached Blighttown. Everyone has told me that it's the worst part of the game. Considering I just got finished learning about the Curse status effect and then creeping through the basilisk dens in the depths to get a ring, I'm going to say there's no way it's going to stress me out as bad as "don't get cursed again, don't get cursed again, for the love of fuk don't get cursed again"

After playing Broken Age and Deponia and some of the King's Quest games and giving Monkey Island a shot (and then Jolly Rover) and eventually My Brother Rabbit, I started on Deponia with the 7 year old. I quickly decided it wasn't appropriate but played it on my own beating the first one and slowly working through the second.

There is one puzzle in the second one that is just insane. 

At one point you have to

Go into the menu and turn the music volume down!

I would have never in a million years figured that out on my own because it's so metatextual.

• Like 1

I just 100%'d Life Is Strange, and I need more Max and Chloe. I have no desire to play the sequel knowing that it focuses on a new set of characters (although there are references to the original game in it, that I've already read on the LiS wiki). I'm aware that the developers consider the Arcadia Bay story "finished" but fuck that. I'm emotionally connected to these characters now and I want more of them.

I saw the swerve coming a mile away, but I appreciate that they made it hard for you to pinpoint exactly who was doing stuff in the Dark Room. They gave you a plethora of people that could have theoretically did it, but ultimately, it's always going to be exactly who you think. But it didn't take away from the story.

This entry into the series was way more on the nose with the Twin Peaks stuff, and the last episode especially was just a mindfuck at times.

CHLOE & MAX 4EVER.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

I just 100%'d Life Is Strange, and I need more Max and Chloe. I have no desire to play the sequel knowing that it focuses on a new set of characters (although there are references to the original game in it, that I've already read on the LiS wiki). I'm aware that the developers consider the Arcadia Bay story "finished" but fuck that. I'm emotionally connected to these characters now and I want more of them.

There's the followup comic series from Titan Comics.  I haven't read it, though, so no idea how good it is.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

After playing Broken Age and Deponia and some of the King's Quest games and giving Monkey Island a shot (and then Jolly Rover) and eventually My Brother Rabbit, I started on Deponia with the 7 year old. I quickly decided it wasn't appropriate but played it on my own beating the first one and slowly working through the second.

There is one puzzle in the second one that is just insane. 

At one point you have to

Hide contents

Go into the menu and turn the music volume down!

I would have never in a million years figured that out on my own because it's so metatextual.

I played through the Deponia series about a couple months ago and glad I wasn't alone here. Here's what I wrote here:

Chaos on Deponia

point and click I've put down for a couple days. Will jump in again but I'm pretty sure I'm about to finish the first main part ( getting Goal to come back to get surgery) and am expecting another big area to search. This one had one puzzle that pissed me off where you needed to go into the settings to alter the sound - I ended up having to search a walkthrough because I'd felt I'd done everything I could. I never would have considered to bring up the settings.

The series itself started out good but kind of goes down hill. There are some very questionable decisions in the third game that were especially jarring. You'll know them when you see them.

Edit : I really should just say it crashes and burns. Part 3 soured me on the rest of the series.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

Maybe I'll stop when I finish the second game then. I wonder what else I have in my library.

Any idea if there are any great adventure games of the lucasarts style in that giant indy pack that's available right now?

21 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

There's the followup comic series from Titan Comics.  I haven't read it, though, so no idea how good it is.

Yeah, I heard about it. And I’ve already ordered the first three volumes ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Maybe I'll stop when I finish the second game then. I wonder what else I have in my library.

Any idea if there are any great adventure games of the lucasarts style in that giant indy pack that's available right now?

I doubt I'll be of any help, but do you have a link to it? Point and click adventure games are pure nostalgia for me and I love firing one up every couple months. I'd also love to know if you have any recommended titles for the PS4 or Switch.

4 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

the last of us is one of the worst games I've ever seen and played...

Gotta know more about this opinion. I actually went into it not enjoying it at all but it won me over in the late game. 

1 hour ago, Setsuna said:

I doubt I'll be of any help, but do you have a link to it? Point and click adventure games are pure nostalgia for me and I love firing one up every couple months. I'd also love to know if you have any recommended titles for the PS4 or Switch.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

Most things I've played in the last year are metroidvania instead of adventure games, but let me take a look.