DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-sega-big-announcement/

Microsoft and Sega planning a big announcement in June: 
most populous rumors i've seen: M$ buys Sega; Dreamcast Mini release; Sega launches new console 

I'd probably prefer to see a Saturn mini.  Though the Dreamcast has a ridiculous number of good shooters and 2d fighting games that were never released in North America.  Eh, I'd buy either, really, though I honestly am a bigger fan of the Saturn.

I'd love to see a new Sega console announced, but I'm skeptical.  I feel like a new Sega console would have to offer gamers a lot of console exclusives to get people away from Sony and Microsoft and I don't know that they could pull that off.  There's a tremendous financial incentive to makes titles available on multiple platforms.  

MS buying Sega doesn't seem like the sort of industry-changing news being teased.  Then again, neither do Sega minis.  Maybe it is a new console announcement.  Segagaga 2 and Seaman: Even Creepier?  I can live with that.

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well this is never a sentence you want your game to see

Amazon's Crucible Is Looking Like Another Battleborn

Yes, I would like my game to remind people of Bloodborne, not Battleborn.

Edited by J.T.

Really not psyched about the big game console companies buying up studios so we get even more exclusives bullshit but that's the way the cookie crumbles...

Struggling to play through The Last Of Us. I'm doing the remastered version but it still feels so much like a game from another time, even though it is fairly pretty. I think what I hate the most is the manufactured difficulty, like the idea of a dude I kill not dropping their weapons or whatever. After playing something like Dying Light, where you can loot every body, or pretty much any game of the modern generation, it just seems so lacking in a way that makes it needlessly harder as opposed to the gameplay itself being a challenge.

• Like 2

Been playing some "under the radar' titles lately and enjoying them quite a bit.

Marvel Epic Pinball Collection - digging this quite a bit.  Not enough of a pinball expert to really appreciate the difference between tables so I don''t really have a favorite or least favorite.  First exposure to Zen Studios and it's a positive one.  Think they released a Star Wars pinball compilation on the Switch.  Intend to buy that one soon.

Yoku's Island Express - speaking of pinball.... Yoku's is a wacky pinball/platformer hybrid.  Basically each environment has pinball flippers and you use those to slingshot Yoku through the levels.  It works a lot better than it sounds.  Probably one of my favorite PS4 games.

Rayman - The original.  I've had copies of this game in my Saturn library for years and never played much of it.  Playing through it now on the PlayStation mini.  Colorful, whimsical 2d platformer.  I probably like Legends and Origins more, but this is still a great game.

Toki Tori 2 + - this was a real surprise.  I read enough reviews and clickbait articles (Best metroidvanias, best of the year, hidden gems, etc) that I rarely get completely blindsided by a game, but this one caught me off guard.  Had heard very little about it until I saw a game designer praising it on Youtube.  It's a sickeningly cute, very simple puzzle platformer with very simple control mechanics.  Lots of ingenious puzzles involving things like causing water to flow, collecting fireflies, growing grass.  Level design is ingenious in that you can basically go anywhere or do anything at any time, but you probably won't even think to try a lot of things until the tutorial leads you to try them.  Maybe my favorite PS4 platformer, and PS4 has an awful lot of indy platformers I really enjoy.

Got a couple of visual novels in the mail, so I'll probably be playing the Nonary games compilation next week.  May pick up Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair this weekend too.  Designers are ex-Rare staffers who left Rare when they couldn't get a new Banjo-Kazooie game made.

10 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Got a couple of visual novels in the mail, so I'll probably be playing the Nonary games compilation next week. 

I'm here for you. Getting through the real ending of 999 is a door you can never un-walk-through? Yeah.

And the first DLC character (who will be FREE) is Chris Bey.

Picture

Possibly he was in the works for a while. Possibly someone looked at the launch line-up and asked why it was all white guys, and they panicked. Who knows?

12 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Struggling to play through The Last Of Us. I'm doing the remastered version but it still feels so much like a game from another time, even though it is fairly pretty. I think what I hate the most is the manufactured difficulty, like the idea of a dude I kill not dropping their weapons or whatever. After playing something like Dying Light, where you can loot every body, or pretty much any game of the modern generation, it just seems so lacking in a way that makes it needlessly harder as opposed to the gameplay itself being a challenge.

I actually didn't mind TLOU using ammo scarcity as a difficulty slider since that's how Resident Evil games have done it lo these many years.  It made you appreciate your base weapons and forced you to be smart about when to lean on your high caliber guns.  I think that Destiny 2 and Anthem's practice of making enemies more tanky is the difficulty boost that annoys me the most.

I agree that companies need to increasing gameplay challenge through means other than bullet sponges and ammo manipulation, since enemies still do the same dumb things even though the difficulty is allegedly higher.  The gun play and tactics rarely change and there aren't too many games that force you to respect cover or use suppressive fire to give yourself opportunity to move to a more advantageous position.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

And the first DLC character (who will be FREE) is Chris Bey. 

Possibly he was in the works for a while. Possibly someone looked at the launch line-up and asked why it was all white guys, and they panicked. Who knows?

Jeff Cobb? 

Going through Streets of Rage 4. I think the lack of vertical roll is throwing me off since I play the SoR Remake fan game a decent amount and that's in there. I also picked up Windjammers and the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection which is pretty tough but's all arcade versions so it's expected.

• Like 1

I played it on the filthy casual settings and easier difficulty level, but I beat FE Three Houses last night with one path and fuck I loved that game and I might just dive straight back into it for another path.

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are like $8 combined on the PS store, so I think I’m about to add two more games to my collection that I’ll never possibly have time to play.

• Haha 1

this morning i beat Castlevania 3 for the first time. this quarantine has given me ample opportunity to beat some of the games on my "pile of shame".  definitely the toughest game i've played through. the last 2 levels especially are brutal.

games i've beaten for the first time since this all started: Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, TMNT (gameboy), Little Nemo (NES), Super Mario 3d Land, and now Castlevania 1-3. 

next up is Kid Icarus. wish me luck.

4 minutes ago, twiztor said:

this morning i beat Castlevania 3 for the first time. this quarantine has given me ample opportunity to beat some of the games on my "pile of shame".  definitely the toughest game i've played through. the last 2 levels especially are brutal.

games i've beaten for the first time since this all started: Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, TMNT (gameboy), Little Nemo (NES), Super Mario 3d Land, and now Castlevania 1-3. 

next up is Kid Icarus. wish me luck.

Kid Icarus, OOF..

Still, if you got past OG Metroid, you should be ok.

I've actually never beaten Super Metroid. Given that I have played basically every major SNES and NES title it's probably the weirdest thing in my pile of shame. That game is actually hard as hell. The movement tech that exists in it is ridiculously advanced for a game of that time, and watching people speedrun/race it is totally mind blowing by comparison to my weak scrub efforts.

Kid Icarus is really hard casually. My biggest complaint about it is that the first quarter of the game is clearly the best part.

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Super Mario 3d Land

I love that game so much. The gameplay is obviously excellent. But the combination of the play zones and the fact it's a handheld game makes it feel like you're playing an actual toy. If that makes sense. A bunch of little 3D toy worlds in your hand.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:11 PM, Doc Townsend said:

I'd probably prefer to see a Saturn mini.  Though the Dreamcast has a ridiculous number of good shooters and 2d fighting games that were never released in North America.

That's great. And I agree. But what is the likelihood of a mini-DC having a bunch of obscure games on it?

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I liked Phantom Pain, from the little bit I’ve played. What makes you not like them?

TPP starts off Ok, but falls apart about half way through, when it becomes obivious that Kojima is on his way out and Konami is fucking around.  The missions get repetitive, hell, they actually repeat a couple for story mode.  Story is disjointed and way out there, even for a Metal Gear game.  The game itself is ok, but it's not worth the time investment for an incomplete game, bad voice acting (especially from Sutherland), the back half of the game being Kojima and Konami taking swipes at each other and way too bloated.  

I mean, there are good concepts and a good game in there, but between change in direction for Konami, Kojima's turfing, incompleteness, and repetitiveness, it just isn't worth it overall unless you're a completionist trying to finish off the Metal Gear series.

The good of the game already existed with Peace Walker (even though that suffers from the same repetitiveness in the back half of the game), and the bad ended up in Death Stranding.