DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Rami Ismail, Dutch/Egyptian muslim (and one half of game studio Vlambeer), has had dozens of tweets covering his use of Animal Crossing to hold a form of Ramadan celebration. This little interview is a good summary, but overall it's been a really uplifting little thing I've had popping up in my feed every day. He just seems so happy about it, and Animal Crossing is an impossibly cute venue for this sort of experiment.

• Like 2

The PCE port of Ninja Gaiden is surprisingly bad.  I expected way better from Hudson porting an existing game to their own 5 year old console.  

In other news I got my Turbo Mini and my pile of shame is on hold while I play Ys again.

Beat Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Decent game and actually not a bad campaign -- although the last 13 trophies will be annoying to obtain (collectibles, runner specific action trophies, beat 10 enemies with full focus, highground attack, 3 stars on all Dashes).

I may go back to Just Cause 3 or Shadow or Mordor or start on SR3 Remastered and do that Platinum this weekend.

19 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I forgot how much I hate the first couple missions of SR3. 

My nightmares of Heli Assault kept me from buying the remaster.

I’m loving Cosmic Star Heroine so much, goddamn. I had to force myself to put it down just now because it’s 4:30am and I had been playing it since probably 10pm.

On the completely opposite side of the genre, Mother Russia Bleeds is a nice SoR-type clone that’s ultra violent as shit and really fun.

Both of those games cost less than $3 on the Switch (sale might have ended?) and I’m not even joking when I say I would pay full price for them if I had to, knowing what I do now.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Brian Fowler said:

As soon as I get paid again, I'm going to buy a couple wiimotes and start opening up that library as well. I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the GC until buying the Switch Lite, so I have like 15 years worth of games to play.

I hooked my Wii up again after a lonngggg break.  Basically, I like the Wii library quite a bit but am not a fan of the Wiimote and nunchuk, and the wife hates the Wii enough that she doesn't want it left plugged in full-time.  Too many cords.  Especially the controller sensor bard and it's long-ass cable.

Anyway, yeah, one of my favorite consoles, really.   I'll never own more than 40-50 games for it (my PS2, PS3, PS4 collections run into the hundreds each), but the Wii games I do own, I really like.

I like old-school platformers, so the Wii has a lot there.  Three Mario platformers (4 if you count Paper Mario) and a Donkey Kong reboot.  Then there's the kinda obscure games.  A Boy and His Blob (from WayForward), a so-so NiGHTs Into Dreams sequel, Ivy the Kiwi from the programmer of Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.  There's also a great remaster compilation of the NES Mario games.

Other categoreis aren't as deep, but have enough to recommend them.  Played a lot of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor over the weekend.   Metroid Prime 3 and the remasters of 1 and 2 are good even with the control scheme.  RE4 Wii is solid enough. Several good action RPG.  I really like the XSEED 3 (Pandora's Tower, Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles).

Throw in a few decent imports and a couple limited edition consoles I really like (power blue Wiii released in conjunction with Olympics, Red Wii released for Mario's 25th anniversary) and you have a fun little console.  

If I didn't hate the nunchuk and sensor bar so much, Wii would be in my top 3 or four 4 favorite consoles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

So. . .am I the only person that didn't know that the motion capture work for Kratos in the most recent God of War game was done by Shad Gaspard?

https://www.thegamer.com/late-wwe-star-shad-gaspard-did-motion-capture-work-for-kratos-in-god-of-war/

I think so.  He also did the mocap work for Bane in one of Telltale Studios's Batman games.  He was starting to carve out a nice niche for himself through stuntman work and mocap until the recent tragedy.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:07 PM, J.T. said:

My nightmares of Heli Assault kept me from buying the remaster.

Yeah, just aim with the sniper rifle at the cars and blow those up during the first Heli Assault mission. I hate that mission as well.

I had the game crash on me tonight. I was working on an assassination mission for Zimos (which was sorta glitchy anyway) and completed it. I started on the next one at Rim Jobs and bought a mod. Saving icon comes up then....the game freezes and it crashes to dashboard. Then it tells me the save is corrupted. Thankfully it had another one there but it took me back to before I completed the previous mission.

I didn't remember how tedious the challenges were from SR3. SR4 and Gat Out of Hell had way better challenges and they actually felt fun to do (of course if you're doing those 2 games 6 times total they better be).

Oh and I must have night blindness but I can't see anything in game when it's at night. I have to turn the brightness on my TV all the way and fiddle with the in-game brightness. Otherwise, I'm wrecking my car making turns into building corners or into bridges.

Oh and "Wallflower" is up there with "Firework" from Rocket League for catchy as fuck pop perfection.

Edited by Andrew POE!

20 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I hooked my Wii up again after a lonngggg break.  Basically, I like the Wii library quite a bit but am not a fan of the Wiimote and nunchuk, and the wife hates the Wii enough that she doesn't want it left plugged in full-time.  Too many cords.  Especially the controller sensor bard and it's long-ass cable.

Anyway, yeah, one of my favorite consoles, really.   I'll never own more than 40-50 games for it (my PS2, PS3, PS4 collections run into the hundreds each), but the Wii games I do own, I really like.

I like old-school platformers, so the Wii has a lot there.  Three Mario platformers (4 if you count Paper Mario) and a Donkey Kong reboot.  Then there's the kinda obscure games.  A Boy and His Blob (from WayForward), a so-so NiGHTs Into Dreams sequel, Ivy the Kiwi from the programmer of Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.  There's also a great remaster compilation of the NES Mario games.

Other categoreis aren't as deep, but have enough to recommend them.  Played a lot of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor over the weekend.   Metroid Prime 3 and the remasters of 1 and 2 are good even with the control scheme.  RE4 Wii is solid enough. Several good action RPG.  I really like the XSEED 3 (Pandora's Tower, Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles).

Throw in a few decent imports and a couple limited edition consoles I really like (power blue Wiii released in conjunction with Olympics, Red Wii released for Mario's 25th anniversary) and you have a fun little console.  

If I didn't hate the nunchuk and sensor bar so much, Wii would be in my top 3 or four 4 favorite consoles.

I've been a major Wii booster for awhile now. When I was first getting serious about collecting retro games I realized you could get a lot of good, cheap Wii games on 2-for-1 sales at Gamestops, and that there were some concurrent factors that lead me to believe the value of the system's games wouldn't stay low long. Chiefly, the fact that a lot of Wii-mote heavy games likely won't get remade, the distain from the hardcores over the Wii's tech specs fades with time, Nintendo is stingy with their first-party games being released digitally and the kids that grew up with the biggest nostalgic attachment to the Wii hadn't achieved financial independence yet.

That last point is sort of becoming true now - the quarantine has made the price of some really good retro games SKYROCKET, Nintendo games particularly so. Some gems like Metroid Prime Trilogy, No More Heroes 2, Rhythm Heaven, Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories are easily going for double what I paid for them. But... compared to spikes in Gamecube (jesus), rare couch multiplayer games and certain series that have gained a lot of interest in the last few months (SMT, Final Fantasy, the DS Pokemon games), the Wii library is still very viable and buy-able. 

There's a healthy amount of meat of the Wii's bones once you get past the initial layer of first-party franchise classics. I like a lot of the system's compilation games, like the SNK Collection, bit.trip.complete, the Metal Slug Anthology, Data East Classics, Ultimate Shooting Collection and Kirby's Dream Collection stand out. Sin & Punishment Star Successor is amazing and it kills me there aren't more games like it (on the Wii or in general). There's some games that look like kiddy point-and-click titles that have some seriously depth (and are actually challenging), namely Little King's Story and Zack & Wiki. Also gotta give props to the Trauma Center series, which I greatly prefer on Wii over DS. Same goes for Bully, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Metroid Prime, Pikmin and RE4 - I think motion controls make them all better. 

I think Xenoblade's the best game on the system but I still haven't even started Last Story. If I ever actually finish Little King's Story that's my next one up.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

I am now addicted to The Mahjong Huntress on Switch. It was really goddamn cheap, too.

EDIT: I also bought: Flashback, Goblin SwordThe Way Remastered, Flashback and What Remains of Edith Finch. I have a spending problem.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I am now addicted to The Mahjong Huntress on Switch. It was really goddamn cheap, too.

EDIT: I also bought: Flashback, Goblin SwordThe Way Remastered, Flashback and What Remains of Edith Finch. I have a spending problem.

There are a lot of good Switch sales, you might as well. Give yourself credit for not biting on Night Trap being sold to you for vending machine money.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Little King's Story on the Wii is really, really good.

There's actually (now delisted) Vita version called New Little King's Story. I'm surprised there isn't a PS4/Switch port.

54 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Night Trap is worth all of the money in the world.

For whatever reason, Night Trap shows up on sale on Switch a lot. I think I may bite the bullet this week for it.

It's a bad game but it's a cheesy early-to-mid '90s bad game with incredibly fun FMV. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to beat without a guide and difficult to beat with one.

23 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

There's actually (now delisted) Vita version called New Little King's Story. I'm surprised there isn't a PS4/Switch port.

The developer went out of business and Konami doesn't care  about video games anymore so unfortunately it's an orphan.

For things that make me rage: a fucking lamppost in Trail Blazing in Saints Row The Third Remastered makes me mad. You press accelerate and...nothing happens. Pretty sturdy lamppost apparently.  I don't remember the original having that many problems with objects in the environment.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Alright guys, I upgraded my desktop PC and have a new 1440p 144hz monitor on the way.  Ryzen 3700x, Radeon 5700 XT, 32 gigs of RAM.  I need recommendations for a game - preferably cheap - that's gonna show me what I've been missing, graphically.  Driving games, shmups, 3rd person action, etc, pretty much whatever.  Whatcha got?

• Like 1

Is there a reason the original Bonk the Caveman isn't in the Turbografx 16 mini?

Also, thumbs down for not getting the rights to the PC Engine versions of Afterburner and Chase H.Q.

Edit: Bonk is on there as P.C. Genjin.

Edited by Southside Jim

17 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

For things that make me rage: a fucking lamppost in Trail Blazing in Saints Row The Third Remastered makes me mad. You press accelerate and...nothing happens. Pretty sturdy lamppost apparently.  I don't remember the original having that many problems with objects in the environment.

Guessing that's a pretty common problem.  My favorite instance is the tank stopping volleyball net in GTA5.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Guessing that's a pretty common problem.  My favorite instance is the tank stopping volleyball net in GTA5.

My favorite thing about GTA5 is that every light post and junction box is apparently made out of the most delicate spun sugar but every bus stop is pure adamantium

• Haha 1

two bits of potential interest that i haven't seen mentioned here:

unreleased NES game prototype uncovered. Never released, never promoted, never announced. More news Sunday.

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-sega-big-announcement/

Microsoft and Sega planning a big announcement in June: 
most populous rumors i've seen: M$ buys Sega; Dreamcast Mini release; Sega launches new console