DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

39 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

For whatever reason, I'm wanting to Platinum Mirror's Edge Catalyst next, despite owning the previous game and not really playing it.

Catalyst is fairly interesting and the most recent mission I did have strong Portal 2 vibes. The only annoying thing will be the Dashes which hopefully aren't as annoying as the time trials from the original Mirror's Edge.

And there's fucking collectibles everywhere.

I had such high hopes for both of the games and both times I rage quit about 1/4 of the way through and traded them back in.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I had such high hopes for both of the games and both times I rage quit about 1/4 of the way through and traded them back in.

I will play both on your behalf. I will probably rage quit at some point too but I will get the Platinums lol.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Don't look for the koroks, you'll save yourself a lot of misery for literally shit. Yes, shit.

Man, I'm not going to check exactly what said shit does, but really, what reward could you get for finding them that would really make it worth it? Kind of hearkens back to my last post about trophies/points as unless you're a completionist and going for that 100% clear, there's nothing that could make that worth it aside from a shiny icon on your gamertag.

To be clear, I'm not putting down people who 100% games - there are always a lot of really tough challenges mixed in with the grindier ones so mad props to them. I know there have been trophies/points I've aimed for in the past, couldn't pull off and gave up.

Still digging the game though. Stumbled across the Rito(I think, the bird people) village and finished off one of the four things I have to do to get the thing( Yeah, I really haven't been paying that much attention to the storyline). Killed my first lion-horse today too. The extra hearts I've added helped big time because he wasn't one-shotting me like the other times I ran into one.

Edit : I knew there was someone on here that posted regularly about their platinums and of course my post falls right under @Andrew POE!'s, just couldn't remember who it was when I was writing it. You're a mad man Andrew. A talented mad man, but a mad man nonetheless ?

Edited by Setsuna

Considering I have been strongly debating restarting the game (since I cant get my save off my son's switch) I was gonna find this thread anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There is a zelda thread in the archives if you want some tips, not necessarily spoilers. 

My big piece of advice: play the game vertically, not horizontally. 

I'll probably avoid the thread for now as I'd rather stumble across everything on my own. I have no idea what you mean though. I feel like I spend 90% of my time on a cliff wall. Does that mean I'm doing something right?

Yes. What I meant was I found very advantageous to build up my climbing stamina as quickly as possible, because you can both avoid enemies and travel farther by gliding from towers and other high places than just running or riding a horse. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:53 AM, Zimbra said:

If you enjoyed that the company's other games, Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII, are similarly enjoyable.

They also made a Penny Arcade game but the less said about that the better.

I don't suppose you know of any other games on the Switch that are similar to Cosmic Star Heroine? I'm mainly talking about the art style, I realize all/most RPGs like that are turn based so I'm not too fussed about that. But like, 16 bit graphics, etc. Now that I think about it, my main gripe with RPGs are they usually have the same settings, just a few things changed around. What I like about CSH is that it's in space and kind of quirky.

Found one on the eShop that looks different from the usual stuff like Mana, FF, DragonQuest, etc. called YIIK: A Postmodern RPG. The art style is definitely different, and you play as a regular dude, too.

I bought another game, a non-RPG one, called No Thing and it looks wayyyy out there and very different. I haven't tried it yet, though.

I've heard amazing things about Control from things I've listened to. 82 on Metacritic is probably a good sign.

And for @Setsuna, if you're not going to collect all those damn things, literally check what I mean by what you get when you collect all of them. It's one of the dumbest collect-a-thon rewards they could troll you with and it will take you til time stops at your play rate.

Spoiler

Handing over the 900th seed to Hestu results in Link being given a turd-shaped object with the following description:

A gift of friendship given to you by Hestu. It smells pretty bad.

Edited by Ryan

Okay, yeah, that's pretty much a kick in the ____.

900 though? I knew it would be a lot because of the size of the map, but 900? I grab them when I see them because I want the extra storage space. Not that I've seen the guy I give the seeds to since early in my playthrough. I'm sure I'll run into him again.

@John E. Dynamite That is was and man is it ever useful. I feel like it's cut down my climbing cliffs to only like 50% of my gameplay now  ?

I know we're cluttering up this thread though, so that will be the last thing I post on the game for quite awhile. It's easy to see why it's a franchise game though because it does have an epic feel.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

doesn't it run like shit on a regular PS4?

Well it wouldn't matter for JT since he is XBOX only but... yes??? maybe???? no???

The only reason I say that is they definitely released patches to work on it so maybe not anymore might be the best way to answer that question

Like this was after the very first patch from a Eurogamer story

The September update released on PS4 consoles a couple of days ago, promising "improved general frame-rate performance through optimization made to multiple systems and content" - and the good news is that the game is significantly better and we are one step towards a much more consistent console experience.

Let's be clear here though - we're still nowhere near a locked 30 frames per second, especially on the base PlayStation 4, the console that has the most problems in smoothly rendering the game. However, just as Remedy says, the general level of performance via Patch 1.03 is higher than it was and when the frame-rate does drop hard, the game seems to recover more quickly. In short, the dips aren't quite as bad as they were and the hit doesn't last as long. Bearing in mind that Control only launched a couple of weeks ago, getting this level of improvement to users so quickly is impressive.

There's still a long way to go, but the improvement is palpable

-----------

The situation is somewhat more complex on the vanilla PlayStation 4, which was the least stable version in our initial testing. Isolating the hot spots in our prior testing, there's no doubt that the worst of the performance drops are mitigated - but by no means addressed completely. Frame-rate drops to the teens are still a thing, but similar to the Pro's readout, they're less pronounced and less sustained than they were on the day one code. The main issue with the standard PS4 version of Control right now is the overall sense that the level of polish isn't quite up to scratch: drops below the target 30fps are relatively commonplace compared to the Pro, while performance oddities like the map overlay causing a frame-rate hit are somewhat baffling.

So again that was a month in and since we are approaching almost a year I would like to believe it got better but maybe not

7 hours ago, Casey said:

doesn't it run like shit on a regular PS4?

It did at launch, even for a PS4 Pro. The most recent patch has improved things a lot and it runs better, especially on a PS4 Pro.

I will likely have this be a Platinum I will work on soon, probably after the 175th Platinum trophy (Horizon Zero Dawn).

To be fair - I have already seen one review that wasn't that high on it.

Though the majority of that is based on things like jokes not aging well since the game original came out.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Figure I'll get it.  Probably spend the first week or so doing tank rampages, or whatever they're called, with Eek A  Mouse on infinite loop.

Yeah, I was pleased that they retained the rights to the entire radio station soundtrack. 

I think that the El-P joint and MF DOOM / Dangermouse collab were my go to songs.

I also remember six beer night when Melraz, Stout, and I were singing the Squidbilly song, Save Me From Myself (Wild As Hell), while evading the law one night in GTA Online.

Edited by J.T.