DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

As soon as I get paid again, I'm going to buy a couple wiimotes and start opening up that library as well. I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the GC until buying the Switch Lite, so I have like 15 years worth of games to play.

Untitled Goose Game: I’ve cleared it and have done almost all of the post-game content except for doing the last two parts quickly. They are an ever-loving pain in my ass.

Mega Man 11: Beat it on the easiest level, gonna turn it up and do it again.

Tetris 99: Hoo boy I suck at this.

Saw that Dark Souls was on there, and I never played the PS3 version. Can anyone vouch for its quality?

• Like 1

The biggest obvious difference is that multiplayer is going to be dead on PS3 so depending on how good you are at the game that can prove a pain because you might have trouble finding help (I'm not even sure if multiplayer is still available on PS3 at all?). Otherwise I don't think there are going to be any giant differences beyond perhaps some more noticeable Strange Lag in Blightown that plagued most versions pre-Remaster.

Prepare to Die Edition is still my preferred version of the game due to remaster removing some pretty fun glitches, but that's really "people who have played this game too much and are now just making shit up to amuse themselves" levels of information.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The biggest obvious difference is that multiplayer is going to be dead on PS3 so depending on how good you are at the game that can prove a pain because you might have trouble finding help (I'm not even sure if multiplayer is still available on PS3 at all?). Otherwise I don't think there are going to be any giant differences beyond perhaps some more noticeable Strange Lag in Blightown that plagued most versions pre-Remaster.

Prepare to Die Edition is still my preferred version of the game due to remaster removing some pretty fun glitches, but that's really "people who have played this game too much and are now just making shit up to amuse themselves" levels of information.

The multiplayer is still available on PS3. It's just really dead lobbies for a lot of games. Sony has spent the last several years shutting down multiplayer servers for games (like Killzone 2 & 3, Warhawk,  ModNation Racers, Twisted Metal, Uncharted 2 and 3 on PS3, The Last of Us PS3, Starhawk, and mostly recently SingStar), but a lot of third party companies have left servers open. Unless it's Activision who just shut them down without any warning.

Edited by Andrew POE!

What are the standout games on the TurboGrafx-16 Mini?  I'm considering picking up one for the two Bonk titles, but I'm not very familiar with the lineup.  I've only heard of about half the titles, and there really aren't a lot of must-play games there for me, but I'm probably overlooking some gems.

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

What are the standout games on the TurboGrafx-16 Mini?  I'm considering picking up one for the two Bonk titles, but I'm not very familiar with the lineup.  I've only heard of about half the titles, and there really aren't a lot of must-play games there for me, but I'm probably overlooking some gems.

Devil's Crush may be "just" a pinball game, but it's awesome and addictive.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW HORIZONS [3]
Instead of a review here's a funny thing that happened to me: I won a contest on twitter that was supposed to send me a switch and a copy of the game. After winning, they basically stonewalled me so I just send them fifteen updates about my black bean burritos. They eventually blocked me, while other people started tweeting at me about how "WE'VE EXPOSED THE SCAM" and I'm like idk man i won a drawing and my prize was annoying this goober about my burritos. I got to have a good time. Anyways I was trying to win the thing for a friend and that's why I have this game anyways, so it's exactly as good as it needs to be.

THEM'S FIGHTIN' HERDS [4]
"hey lamp i notice that every time you yell about some weird game being your frontrunner for game of the year no one believes you"
yes that's true more often than not
"and now you feel that strongly about a fighting game that started as a My Little Pony fan game"
mhm
"are you like... are you trying to make this harder?"
I can see your point, inner monologue, but honest to god this game's fucking great. If you can break through the barrier of "Bootleg MLP Aesthetic" everything in it mechanically is pretty ingenious. It's got a great in-depth tutorial, a LOT of different singleplayer content (Story mode, target challenge, combo training), it's got an incredible lobby system and impeccable netcode. This isn't my line (I think it's Sajam's?) but it's still the truth: if you make a checklist for everything you want out of a fighting game, and then play Them's Fightin' Herds, see if you don't check off like 90% of it. The one problem right now is character depth (only 6 characters at launch and no dedicated grapplers) but they're adding more and they wont be charging for them.

"ok but how much of saying this is your game of the year is related to you not admitting you've totally lost interest in doom eternal less than halfway through"
OOPS GOTTA GO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I played Them's Fightin' Herds at Magfest and bootleg MLP aesthetic aside it was pretty darn fun.  We've been considering getting it but have been busy enough with other stuff that it might not be for a good while.

21 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I remember liking Splatterhouse a lot as a kid.

Terraria is actually bonkers. I put it down for like 5 years, and with 1.4 out now I can't remember why. It might be one of the best indie games ever made. The sheer amount of content in the game is bordering on absurd, and with Steam mod support being added as a finale there's actually the potential that it becomes a limitless, generation-crossing vehicle. The new difficulty option is Actually Difficult for anyone outside of the 0.1%, you know what I mean? It has something for everyone.

The only other thing I've been playing lately is Link to the Past randomizer, which is also bonkers. Taking maybe the best Zelda game and turning it into a roguelike? Fuck yes inject that into my veins. I also briefly played around with Final Fantasy 4 Free Enterprise, which is also a wonderful piece of work, but I lack the raw game knowledge to really be in on that yet.

I made my worst impulse buy in awhile and found a Switch in the wild and snagged one with Mario Odyssey. My backlog and budget will both be angry at me.

Edited by Chaos

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Cosmic Star Heroine is a delightful little game. And I usually hate games like this. But the turn based combat is so basic that even I can tolerate it.

If you enjoyed that the company's other games, Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII, are similarly enjoyable.

They also made a Penny Arcade game but the less said about that the better.

So I ended up going with Zelda Breath of the Wild after Monster Boy, which was a great game btw. Fun, challenging, and a great mechanic with the different forms you take on.

I hadn't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time, which I beat in my teens as a very, very casual gamer. Yeah, I'm still kind of proud of that one.

BotW is....big. I was not prepared for the sheer size of the map. I'm probably 10-15 hours in, still just wandering around and solving shrines and climbing towers. I've done a bit of the main mission (went to one town to talk to somebody, went to another town and upgraded my sheikah as much as I could). Since then, it's just been wandering and dying a fair bit but that's kind of the point when you're throwing yourself in areas you probably shouldn't be in outfitted in basic gear.

The only enemy I've found impossible are the lion/horse hybrid dudes who just destroy me everytime. The big cyclops guy was easy. Took out the first one fine, the second one surprised me when he picked up a tree and I didn't really know what he was going to do. Spoiler : he hit me with it and I died. After that, he went down easy enough though.

In short, enjoying the game. This is the type of game I'll sink 100 hours into and probably still end up at a completion rate of like 50% if it was keeping track because there's no way I'm going to go looking for koroks or explore every nook and cranny because it's just so damn big.

Quick off-topic, but I've got mixed feelings on the Switch not having a trophy / points system. On the one hand, I'm glad there's no incentive to grind doing something that I wouldn't want to do otherwise. On the other hand, when you're really enjoying a game, it is nice to be rewarded with that *bing* you get when the trophy/points pop.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:23 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

The lineup as a whole is really solid.  There are only a couple of duds like China Warrior and JJ & Jeff. 

Alien Crush
Blazing Lazers
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Dungeon Explorer 
Fantasy Zone
Galaga '88
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Gradius
Gradius II
Lords of Thunder
Military Madness
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Spirit
R-Type
Salamander
Snatcher 
Space Harrier
Splatterhouse
Super Darius
Super Star Soldier
Ys Book I & II

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

It also had the first two Fire Pro games as well. Fun little machine that I wish I had as a kid.

Did Bonk games sell well in England or did they have to rename it?

The TurboGrafx never was formally released in Europe.  It tanked in North America because NEC waited too long to bring it out, so it was going up against the Genesis, which had better graphics and sound, more well-known games, and came packaged with Altered Beast, which is kind of a shit game now, but was a big arcade hit at the time.  So NEC cancelled the European release, though some distributors already had some units (basically US ones modified for PAL) that were eventually sold in stores.

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

If you enjoyed that the company's other games, Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII, are similarly enjoyable.

They also made a Penny Arcade game but the less said about that the better.

2 PA games!

18 hours ago, Setsuna said:

So I ended up going with Zelda Breath of the Wild after Monster Boy, which was a great game btw. Fun, challenging, and a great mechanic with the different forms you take on.

I hadn't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time, which I beat in my teens as a very, very casual gamer. Yeah, I'm still kind of proud of that one.

BotW is....big. I was not prepared for the sheer size of the map. I'm probably 10-15 hours in, still just wandering around and solving shrines and climbing towers. I've done a bit of the main mission (went to one town to talk to somebody, went to another town and upgraded my sheikah as much as I could). Since then, it's just been wandering and dying a fair bit but that's kind of the point when you're throwing yourself in areas you probably shouldn't be in outfitted in basic gear.

The only enemy I've found impossible are the lion/horse hybrid dudes who just destroy me everytime. The big cyclops guy was easy. Took out the first one fine, the second one surprised me when he picked up a tree and I didn't really know what he was going to do. Spoiler : he hit me with it and I died. After that, he went down easy enough though.

In short, enjoying the game. This is the type of game I'll sink 100 hours into and probably still end up at a completion rate of like 50% if it was keeping track because there's no way I'm going to go looking for koroks or explore every nook and cranny because it's just so damn big.

Quick off-topic, but I've got mixed feelings on the Switch not having a trophy / points system. On the one hand, I'm glad there's no incentive to grind doing something that I wouldn't want to do otherwise. On the other hand, when you're really enjoying a game, it is nice to be rewarded with that *bing* you get when the trophy/points pop.

Don't look for the koroks, you'll save yourself a lot of misery for literally shit. Yes, shit.

For whatever reason, I'm wanting to Platinum Mirror's Edge Catalyst next, despite owning the previous game and not really playing it.

Catalyst is fairly interesting and the most recent mission I did have strong Portal 2 vibes. The only annoying thing will be the Dashes which hopefully aren't as annoying as the time trials from the original Mirror's Edge.

And there's fucking collectibles everywhere.