DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

7 hours ago, Setsuna said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I've got it sitting on my Switch but haven't gotten around to it yet. Golf Story too, I guess.

I ended up going with Monster Boy for my next game it's really rpg-ish in a lot of ways. I'm enjoying it so far. While not terribly hard, it's a lot harder than the artwork makes you think it will be. Might be worth a try for you.

No reason to buy Xenoblade 2 when the remaster of Xenoblade 1 is out by the end of this month. The original Wii release ranks very, very high on my list of JRPGs. Comfortably in the single digits. 2, on the other hand, is loads of deep gameplay, hearty amounts of content and sidequests, and beautiful environments slathered in the corniest anime bullshit I have ever played through in my life.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

On 5/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, Control said:

Discovered that in SoR4 that if you can hit the arcade games with a taser, it’ll transport you into a fighting game. Fought a Blanka knock-off. And lost.

Pretty cool extra there. That's actually a boss and level from SoR2.  2 was probably my fav in the series, it's only negative being it's the only one in the series without a level to throw enemies off of.

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Still the strangest release trailer I've ever seen for a console. The literal trailer keeps talking about controllers and never actually makes it clear it was a new console at all. Completely bizarre.

Oh they killed the damn thing in the cradle all by themselves. I think it was over a year before people realized it wasn't just an add-on/revamp of the Wii, and by that time third party support was gone and the XBone and PS4 were building momentum.

But, a few hours in... I kinda like the Gamepad? Like, it's weird and they clearly refined the idea and made it much more useful with the switch, but the option to play a lot of games in hand when the tv is in use was pretty cool.

Plus I really want the HD remakes of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess plus there's a lot of great virtual console stuff not on the Switch.

I am going to have to get an external for it though. The 32gb models were going for to much for me to buy it on a whim, so I only got the 8gb version. Such is life.

Friends and I played Sea of Thieves for the first time in over a year and boy was it fun even though we were super rusty and got caught twice with our pants down because of it. Adore that game.

Soooooooo my wife got me a Switch for an early birthday present yesterday. I went ham, getting Tetris 99, Mega Man 11, Untitled Goose Game, and I’m gonna get Fitness Boxing (I wanted Ring Fit Adventure, but it’s sold out everywhere, and I want to get something workout-y).

Untitled Goose Game fucking RULES. I already beat the base game, and it’s as fun as advertised. I legit laughed at the ending/final task.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:47 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Oh they killed the damn thing in the cradle all by themselves. I think it was over a year before people realized it wasn't just an add-on/revamp of the Wii, and by that time third party support was gone and the XBone and PS4 were building momentum.

But, a few hours in... I kinda like the Gamepad? Like, it's weird and they clearly refined the idea and made it much more useful with the switch, but the option to play a lot of games in hand when the tv is in use was pretty cool.

Plus I really want the HD remakes of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess plus there's a lot of great virtual console stuff not on the Switch.

I am going to have to get an external for it though. The 32gb models were going for to much for me to buy it on a whim, so I only got the 8gb version. Such is life.

Zombi U was pretty fun and made good use of the gamepad.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, Control said:

Discovered that in SoR4 that if you can hit the arcade games with a taser, it’ll transport you into a fighting game. Fought a Blanka knock-off. And lost.

Hitting the arcade machines like that is how you unlock secret levels. There's four or five of them. 

So...

Switch game recommendations? I don’t have any of the higher-powered current gen stuff, and the most current system I had before I got the Switch was a PS3/Xbox 360.

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

So...

Switch game recommendations? I don’t have any of the higher-powered current gen stuff, and the most current system I had before I got the Switch was a PS3/Xbox 360.

What kind of games do you like/are you looking for?

The games that I own and would outright recommend to anyone not put off by their genre would be...

Action/Adventure/Plaftformer: Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2

Multiplayer: Mario Kart 8+, Super Smash Bros.

JRPGs: Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (not out yet, but...), Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Indies: Hollow Knight (Metroidvania), Sonic Mania (Sonic if it was as good as you remember it), Golf Story (Golf RPG, think Mario Golf on GBA), Night In The Woods (anti-capitalist millen-Z-al queer furry 2D walking simulator), West of Loathing (actually funny), Celeste (optimistic masocore platformer, Soundtrack of the Decade contender)

Game That I Spent The Most Time Playing: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth +

How Is This Good?: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

I own but haven't spent a lot of time with Valkyria Chronicles 4, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, or Super Mario Maker 2. I'd like to pick up a copy of Astral Chain, DK Tropical Freeze, and the Link's Awakening remake. Tons of ports and remasters of games I love, like Cave Story, Ikaruga, Bayonetta 1, Undertale, Katamari Damacy, Mega Man X Collection, Monster Boy, Blaster Master, Meat Boy, Ni no Kuni,  not to mention a ton on indies I just don't have time for like Baba is You, Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, Thimbleweed Park, Enter the Gungeon, Cuphead, etc. that I do plan on playing one day. I've got Panzer Dragoon (which just got hell-of patched, btw), Streets of Rage 4, and Kentucky Route Zero on pre-order. There's so damned much. And don't even play Animal Crossing.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Link's Awakening remake was fun despite the really bad frame rate drops. 

I'd also recommend Stardew Valley for soothing gameplay and Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably my second favourite Nintendo release for the console after BotW. Really neat boss battles and great puzzles. Did not love Odyssey all that much after really enjoying 3D World for the WiiU. Splatoon and Mario Kart are both worth it. I don't love Smash but do enjoy the Tennis game. If you like beat em ups Streets of Rage 4 is a must. Totally agree with Dynamite's call on Rabbids. Game looked dumb but somehow completely over delivered. Pokemon Sword/Shield was very much a Pokemon game, so go off whether you like the old ones or not. Tetris 99 is a must and it's free. Octopath Traveler looks great and plays really well but the characters are super flat even for a JRPG and the lack of a unifying story hurts it. Need to put more time into Mario Maker 2 but I've dug it. Overcooked is good stuff if you want to fight loved ones and have high anxiety while feeling rushes of great accomplishments after grinding out successes. Blaster Master 2 is a very solid game if you like the original for NES. Heck yes to Sonic Mania as well. 

Games I've played on other consoles but are available for the Switch: Divinity Original Sin II, Shovel Knight, Into the Breach, Cuphead, Dragon Ball Z Fighter, Rocket League, Slay the Spire, Witcher 3 is one of the best games of this generation despite floaty combat, and Two Point Hospital if you like old school management games. 

It really is a tremendous machine. I love chilling in the backyard in the cabana with my cat during the summer days playing the ol' Switcharoo. 

I was surprised to see Mario Paper as a summer release. What is going to be their big Christmas release this year, if not Mario Paper? I would imagine BotW2 won't be ready. A new Mario Kart? Haven't heard anything about a new Metroid, have we? Those are the obvious two they haven't done this generation.

Edited by Oyaji