DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

They made the game harder for the west. Lot of times this was done so the game would last longer and to combat the renting market. But they made special attacks consume less of the players health for the west. (without a full power meter)

Anyway the cutting room floor wiki goes into more detail about what they changed.

Many other retro games are easier in Japan. But not always.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Hey, so what the fuck happened to Streets of Rage 3? SoR 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games and now I'm starting to realize a lot of the things I thought I loved about 2 and 3 were just me conflating 3 into 2. 2 Is a masterpiece. It starts off pretty damn easy and gets progressively harder. 3 is a fucking nightmare! It is INSANELY difficult even on normal setting. I'm reading that the Japanese version is considerably easier for some reason and a lot of enemy health buffs were added in the port. Is this true? If so, what's the story behind that? There are just so many OP enemies thrown at you at once and so very little health provided compared to the first two games. And the new character is an old robot or cyborg? What the shit is that? Just give me the kangaroo as a default, please. This game is kind of the shits compared to the first two entries in the series. If I didn't have the Sega Collection cheats of quick saves/loads and rewind, I'd still probably be at stage 2 (I'm at City Hall which I believe is 7).

Edit: and if I see one of you come in and do the "lol, git gud" shit I will do my best to put some sort of curse on you and your kin. Fuck off with that shit.

A big part of it was rental syndrome.  Game companies were terrified of releasing stuff that two average kids could beat in a weekend, and tweaked shit for US release to make them harder (see also Contra Hard Corps). If you have the PS4/XB1/Switch/Steam Genesis pack, it will let you play both the US/EU and JP versions. The JP is still rough, but not nearly as gouge-your-eyes-out nasty as the Western version.

• Like 2

Me and my son finally beat Streets of Rage 2 a couple days ago. Very satisfying. Weird moment when I realized during the final boss that I'd beat it before years earlier with my cousin, probably when we were the same age as my kid.

His reward for finishing the Python Coding book and creating his first platformer,  is Streets of Rage 4, so I'll be hammering it out soon.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Oyaji said:

If we're doing recommendations, check out Fist of the North Star for PS4 if you haven't done so already. The engine is pretty much perfect if not very repetitive. But can one really get bored of the crossbow bolt catch and counter? Nah.

I actually got this last weekend. It’s as you say, very repetitive, but it’s Hokuto no Ken. It’s gotta be repetitive. It’s been pretty fun so far, but does take a long time before the tutorial ends. Like roughly 3-4 hours till you get to the Yakuza aspects of the world design. Like they needed a mess of exposition to explain why random gangs attack you in a relatively civilized area of the post-war world. 

I do love killing armies of baddies though. But they stand no chance against Kenshiro, even on the hardest of difficulties, just like the series. The only difficult part of the combat so far is making a fight look as close to the source material as possible, which isn’t as easy as you expect. The Yakuza fighting engine isn’t very smooth, and trying to remember every button command for all the secret techniques can be a bit of a pain. Batman Arkham games this is not, in terms of emulating it’s source material in gameplay. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

You're gonna HATE the Rei fight, be warned

I beat his ass down. Actually the toughest fights I’ve had are the non-story combat arena fights. They basically make it more difficult by not allowing you to use inventory items. Took me a while to beat a level 27 challenge. 

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I beat his ass down. Actually the toughest fights I’ve had are the non-story combat arena fights. They basically make it more difficult by not allowing you to use inventory items. Took me a while to beat a level 27 challenge. 

Wow.  I'm impressed as it took me two solid hours because I kept biffing the randomized QTE where you both climb the cage.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

53 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Wow.  I'm impressed as it took me two solid hours because I kept biffing the randomized QTE where you both climb the cage.

GoW QTE’s are my jamb. These are also very forgiving though. The QTE’s outside of a few during boss fights just amount to I believe filling up your star meter faster, eating up the enemies life, and also raising your letter grade. I think I only fucked up one during the Rei fight just to see what it did to me.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

For whatever reason, after doing the PS4 version, I decided to go ahead and try for the Platinum on Saints Row Gat Out of Hell on PS3. I'm 15 trophies away from it after doing the co op trophy over two nights.

I don't know if it's my PS3 but I legit wonder if my copy is possessed. I was playing along and all of a sudden I heard a female voice screaming IN THE GAME. It was very loud too. Scared the crap out of me too.

Occasionally I would hear garbled noise as well and music would just drop. I'm hoping it's Volition having a hard time with the PS3 port, but who knows.

EDIT: I'm hoping people don't think this is some creepypasta, but it happened to me while I was playing.

Edited by Andrew POE!

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

For whatever reason, after doing the PS4 version, I decided to go ahead and try for the Platinum on Saints Row Gat Out of Hell on PS3. I'm 15 trophies away from it after doing the co op trophy over two nights.

I don't know if it's my PS3 but I legit wonder if my copy is possessed. I was playing along and all of a sudden I heard a female voice screaming IN THE GAME. It was very loud too. Scared the crap out of me too.

Occasionally I would hear garbled noise as well and music would just drop. I'm hoping it's Volition having a hard time with the PS3 port, but who knows.

EDIT: I'm hoping people don't think this is some creepypasta, but it happened to me while I was playing.

Is there a way to document this? I would love to see what happens while this is going on. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Man, I slept on Dragon Quest XI for way too long, but it's eating up more of my Switch time than even Animal Crossing.

Oh man, I was thinking of diving in this one soon too. I try to space out my games so I'm not jumping from one with 50+ hours to another. I'm pretty much finishing up as much as I plan to do with Slay The Spire and Prison Architect, and finished Owlboy not too long ago. Right now I'm at a toss-up between Breath of the Wild or Dragon Quest XI for my next long playthrough,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Is there a way to document this? I would love to see what happens while this is going on. 

I probably should have recorded it with my cellphone. I'll do that next time. The thing is game wise everything appears normal.

Eh, I replayed it enough on 360 and now I have it just sitting in my library for the PSVR.

Things like Breath of the Wild, I guess? I was intrigued by Dragon Quest, but then I saw it’s turn based and I just can’t do that. Never have been able to for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Eh, I replayed it enough on 360 and now I have it just sitting in my library for the PSVR.

Things like Breath of the Wild, I guess? I was intrigued by Dragon Quest, but then I saw it’s turn based and I just can’t do that. Never have been able to for whatever reason.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I've got it sitting on my Switch but haven't gotten around to it yet. Golf Story too, I guess.

I ended up going with Monster Boy for my next game it's really rpg-ish in a lot of ways. I'm enjoying it so far. While not terribly hard, it's a lot harder than the artwork makes you think it will be. Might be worth a try for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

So is there a good RPG (or JRPG) for the Switch that doesn’t have turned based combat?

Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma & Final Fantasy XII all have non-turn-based combat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Eh, I dunno about all that. It's still a DQ game but it has nothing on DQVII's braised-Kafka slog of an intro.

DQ XI is actually relatively short, for a AAA JRPG. I am sure that you can finish it way below 50 h and even the platinum did not take me 100 h.