DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Out if curiosity, what all systems can it handle emulators for?

I used Project Eris, which also comes with Retroarch & Emulation Station.  It can handle all home systems from Atari 2600 through Dreamcast, timeline-wise.  There may be ways to make it go higher, I'm not sure, but that's what the mod I used came with.  Please feel free to PM me with questions/guidance.  I know this is a grey area but at the same time, I don't think I'm taking money out of anybody's pocket playing a game from 25 years ago ? 

Since I can't play Destiny 2 anymore and I am killing time waiting for my Switch to arrive - I went back to Horizon Zero Dawn to finish it up.

I am laughing because I didn't realize when I stopped playing I was at the final mission.

Needless to say - I am not doing that yet because I will need like a day to remember the controls.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I used Project Eris, which also comes with Retroarch & Emulation Station.  It can handle all home systems from Atari 2600 through Dreamcast, timeline-wise.

I assume excluding Saturn and to a lesser degree N64

9 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Are we finally starting to see the end of the "professional e-sport gamer" bubble?

https://kotaku.com/top-overwatch-team-loses-entire-player-roster-amidst-al-1843293398

No.  I'm still waiting for my Hoop Dreams -esque documentary about a Korean kid that gets away from the hard streets of Seoul by becoming the best Overwatch player ever and getting to the major leagues.

The biggest problem with current esports is honestly how many of the people they sign are teenagers that couldn't read a contract even if they wanted to. Some of those deals on the bad end are like 1950's "Hollywood studio owns you now, lol" bullshit.

Got my 168th Platinum trophy with Rogue Warrior. I'm officially a terrible trophy hunter.

The game is easy enough and online trophies are annoying, but it wasn't too bad until the last section of the last mission. Enemies all of a sudden were moving around and into cover a lot.

Well, fuck. I'm about to dip my toe into Apex Legends for whatever reason.

In other news - the most recent sale ("Hidden Gems") has finally given me the chance to buy Life Is Strange and Before the Storm for under $5 each, so I'm taking the leap on that.

(Unrelated to video games, but the Big In Japan sale has Attack On Titan S1 Part 1 for free, and the complete Cowboy Bebop series for $6 sooooo I'm sold)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

In other news - the most recent sale ("Hidden Gems") has finally given me the chance to buy Life Is Strange and Before the Storm for under $5 each, so I'm taking the leap on that.

(Unrelated to video games, but the Big In Japan sale has Attack On Titan S1 Part 1 for free, and the complete Cowboy Bebop series for $6 sooooo I'm sold)

Nice choices. You will probably cry when you play them. I know I did.

Other ones I recommend from the sale are:

Enter the Gungeon, Gris, Guacamelee! 2 complete, Talos Principle (a steal at $5), and Banner Saga Trilogy (all 3 games for $20).

I'm probably going to get Little Nightmares since I very rarely see it on sale.

Ayo, wutdafuq?! When did the Canadian PS Store stop selling movies and TV series? I've been waiting to buy Bebop for fucking ever and now I cannot? Legitimately the only movie or TV series I had on my wish list.That's some ol' bullshit right there. If I didn't just muse about how gross my backlog is I'd probably pick up some Castlevania, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, or Judgment, but I did just muse about how gross my backlog is, so I won't.

Fire Pro DLC is reasonably priced with that sale too for those that haven't picked up the DLC packs on console.

If we're doing recommendations, check out Fist of the North Star for PS4 if you haven't done so already. The engine is pretty much perfect if not very repetitive. But can one really get bored of the crossbow bolt catch and counter? Nah.

Edited by Oyaji

Tonight I finished and got the platinum on HELLBLADE: SENUA’S SACRIFICE.  It was just the right length for what it was.  I wish the combat was a little deeper, and some of the environmental puzzles were incredibly annoying, but overall I enjoyed the game.  I will not pretend to know what the fuck happened at the end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It's unfortunate that my play group doesn't have many who play it but I had a blast playing Apex when I tried it. It's brutal and honest and no BS. Closest I got was #2 but I felt like I learn something new every time.

On 5/7/2020 at 4:37 AM, J.T. said:

No.  I'm still waiting for my Hoop Dreams -esque documentary about a Korean kid that gets away from the hard streets of Seoul by becoming the best Overwatch player ever and getting to the major leagues.

I'm going to be more interested in the documentatries that will inevitably come out that follow former e-gamers as they struggle to adjust to the "real world" after e-gaming collapses.

The recent leaked Pokemon G/S pre-releases have lots of unused mons, beta mons and sprites and etc. Also the earlier version of Yellow was gonna have digitized anime voices for all creatures and some different sprites.

Pokemon Green compile rom for the west exists, but it seems it's just blue from the west with different title screens.

Hey, so what the fuck happened to Streets of Rage 3? SoR 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games and now I'm starting to realize a lot of the things I thought I loved about 2 and 3 were just me conflating 3 into 2. 2 Is a masterpiece. It starts off pretty damn easy and gets progressively harder. 3 is a fucking nightmare! It is INSANELY difficult even on normal setting. I'm reading that the Japanese version is considerably easier for some reason and a lot of enemy health buffs were added in the port. Is this true? If so, what's the story behind that? There are just so many OP enemies thrown at you at once and so very little health provided compared to the first two games. And the new character is an old robot or cyborg? What the shit is that? Just give me the kangaroo as a default, please. This game is kind of the shits compared to the first two entries in the series. If I didn't have the Sega Collection cheats of quick saves/loads and rewind, I'd still probably be at stage 2 (I'm at City Hall which I believe is 7).

Edit: and if I see one of you come in and do the "lol, git gud" shit I will do my best to put some sort of curse on you and your kin. Fuck off with that shit.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Hey, so what the fuck happened to Streets of Rage 3? SoR 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games and now I'm starting to realize a lot of the things I thought I loved about 2 and 3 were just me conflating 3 into 2. 2 Is a masterpiece. It starts off pretty damn easy and gets progressively harder. 3 is a fucking nightmare! It is INSANELY difficult even on normal setting. I'm reading that the Japanese version is considerably easier for some reason and a lot of enemy health buffs were added in the port. Is this true? If so, what's the story behind that? There are just so many OP enemies thrown at you at once and so very little health provided compared to the first two games. And the new character is an old robot or cyborg? What the shit is that? Just give me the kangaroo as a default, please. This game is kind of the shits compared to the first two entries in the series. If I didn't have the Sega Collection cheats of quick saves/loads and rewind, I'd still probably be at stage 2 (I'm at City Hall which I believe is 7).

Edit: and if I see one of you come in and do the "lol, git gud" shit I will do my best to put some sort of curse on you and your kin. Fuck off with that shit.

Agreed. 1 & 2 are a blast to play through any time. 3 has its moments but can get tedious. I've only ever beat it proper one time  a few years back, can't imagine bothering with the harder difficulties. I did always love playing as Roo.