DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Kinda shocked that SoR4 turned out good. I hope the music slaps like in the other games, especially SoR2. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Kinda shocked that SoR4 turned out good. I hope the music slaps like in the other games, especially SoR2. 

It really does and better yet there's an option for classic songs. 

The enemies and their weapons are so great in that game. I've only played the first two levels but the taser and baton in the police station are so powerful. Love it.

• Thanks 1

Streets Of Rage 4 definitely fucking rules. Absolutely gorgeous art and they made the combat true to the old games yet still amped up and improved.

I'm getting my ass whooped on normal difficulty because I immediately go back to my childhood and wanting to just jump headlong into the fight with zero patience or strategy ?

• Like 2

Streets of Rage 2 had an actual Tom of Finland meets Razor Ramon Hard Gay character as a boss and unlockable(but I think you have to play the Bloody Knuckle version) but they threw in every gay stereotype they could into one character and it doesn't age well.

I think I'm doing my best as Samoan Jax on the new one.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

My sister got me the Sega Collection on the Switch last year for a birthday present and I decided to go back and play Streets of Rage 1-3 until my friends get going with 4 shortly. I mostly played 2 and 3 as a kid but holy shit was 1 great for '91. The boss mechanics were brilliant, the back strike great for the time. Just a legendary game. Then in 2 they go even further in getting as much as they can out of three buttons with the different combinations and such without making it overly complicated. 

• Like 3

I hope you people telling me that Streets of Rage 4 is great are right cuz I just pre-ordered the physical PS4 version from Limited Run Games.

They did pretty much the ideal update of a retro game, not reinventing the wheel but giving us a whole lot of new stuff while modernizing it in smart ways. It's a brilliant love letter to the beat 'em ups of the early '90s. I didn't love the art style at first but it works pretty well and I quickly grew to like it once I was playing.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I hope you people telling me that Streets of Rage 4 is great are right cuz I just pre-ordered the physical PS4 version from Limited Run Games.

This reminds me how much I miss indie gaming.  I don't enjoy digital gaming that much - I prefer to own - and I find that during this crisis I'm just not spending money.  I've been a regular customer of the collectible physical publishers (Limited Run Games, iam8bit, Strictly Limited Games, etc.), but I've pretty much sworn off all of them until this settles down.  Too much uncertainty about production, shipping dates, international shipping, companies even being in business if they can't sell and ship for the next six months, etc.  The companies keep putting games up for pre-order and I say "nope" and play the Gamecube.  

I don't miss the shortages and inflated secondhand market LImited Run Games' business model creates, though.

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

This reminds me how much I miss indie gaming.  I don't enjoy digital gaming that much - I prefer to own - and I find that during this crisis I'm just not spending money.  I've been a regular customer of the collectible physical publishers (Limited Run Games, iam8bit, Strictly Limited Games, etc.), but I've pretty much sworn off all of them until this settles down.  Too much uncertainty about production, shipping dates, international shipping, companies even being in business if they can't sell and ship for the next six months, etc.  The companies keep putting games up for pre-order and I say "nope" and play the Gamecube.  

I don't miss the shortages and inflated secondhand market LImited Run Games' business model creates, though.

I have long opposed Limited Run for that very reason. This time I decided to make an exception. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tabe said:

I have long opposed Limited Run for that very reason. 

You have more willpower than I do.  I kinda want boycott LRS and the like, but.... games I want to play.

Honestly, I'm into gaming a lot less than I was three months ago.  Not sure I have much interest in spending much money on games right now.  I'm kinda assuming I'll pick up the indie titles I'm missing off eBay when people actually have them in hand (and probably pay a substantial markup), but that may not happen.  

• Like 1

Hooked up my PSVR for the first time since Christmas because I craved some full immersion Tetris Effect, and finally tried Astrobot Rescue.  It can be a little frustrating, but it's charming AF and I'm having a blast with it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Hooked up my PSVR for the first time since Christmas because I craved some full immersion Tetris Effect, and finally tried Astrobot Rescue.  It can be a little frustrating, but it's charming AF and I'm having a blast with it.

Speaking of PSVR: the previously Oculus exclusive Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is coming this summer to PlayStation.

Speaking of PSVR, one of my fucking cats chewed up the cable for the headset so that's awesome. I don't have the skills or patience to try to fix it myself, Sony's mail in repair service is not going on right now, and straight up new headset is impossible to find. 

So that rules. 

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I used the Coronavirus stay at home downtime to turn a cheap Playstation Classic into an emulation machine and it's so worth it.

Out if curiosity, what all systems can it handle emulators for?

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

It really is a fun game but Holy God does going for the chameleon challenges make you want to break the disc in half.

• Like 1