DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

7 hours ago, throughsilver said:

I read an interesting review from a guy on another site. He said it was pretty boring, with too much emphasis on resource management and chainsaw. 

But then he tried it on the hardest difficulty, and every fight becomes survival, something to really think about. He got a kick out of it when that happened. ymmv

The chainsawing and platforming just suck the fun out of the game for me. I'd love it if it was just running around doing hard fights where you can find ammo but I don't get the feel of that from the game. Like I've said before, everything is an f'n bullet sponge unless you're hitting the weak spots and Doom has never been about precise sniping. Then there are just platforming sections that stop my momentum cold and make me not want to keep playing for a while.

Almost done with Kingdom Hearts 3. Collected all of the treasure chests, the Mickey Emblems and cooked all of the items at the Bistro. That's as far as I'm going to go since I'm not a fan of the mini games. I will say that the Keyblade you get from finishing The Caribbean is great especially when it's fully upgraded.

• Like 1

Alright, this is inspired by the bombcast and then by me changing one of the answers and bringing it to my friends, only to discover I'm the only person I know to feel this way.

Fuck Marry Kill:

• Procedural Generation (roguelikes, minecrafts, dwarf fortress)
  • "The Meta" (includes Team Comp for team multiplayer stuff, tier lists for fighting games)
  • Deck-building (MTG, Slay the Spire, etc)
Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

It makes me actually angry to see the side by side examples of a Very Good Game like Slay the Spire and a Very Horny For Wallets game like MtG and yet, it is correct.

Anyway, kill the meta. fuck deck building, marry procedural generation.

Never forget that the procedurally generated parts of Darkest Dungeon were consistently better than the hand crafted missions.

Also, i am back on that Terraria bullshit after literally 5 years away. So, there's that. They're putting out their "final" major update next month. Honestly, a ton of my favourite indie games of the last decade were quite procedural heavy.

5 hours ago, throughsilver said:

That's fair enough. 2016 seems really good though, and that's the one I can get for my Switch ?

I loved the 2016 version. I really enjoyed the snap map feature too. Here's one I made back then

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, Liam said:

The Big In Japan sale is on the EU PSN store.

With that being said, are Romancing Saga 2 or 3 worth playing?

Actually, might as well throw out Star Ocean Last Departure or whatever it is called.

All tempting, but old games don't always age well of course.

If anyone is looking for a quarantine RPG to dive into, I can't recommend Trails of Cold Steel enough.  I put over 100 hours into the first game and I'm already about 15 hours into the second.  Both are under $30 bucks in the Playstation store.  

• Like 1

A mix of my Dragon Con crew (people I used to MUSh with in the 90s) and my local Geeks Who Drink team have been running various Jackbox games a couple times a week and it's been rad.  Tonight we finally broke out a few games we hadn't previously run, and both Earwax (Cards Against Humanity-type "assemble an answer to a prompt from random pieces" game, but with sound efects) and Bomb Corp (which distributes rules across multiple players and makes you talk them out to make sure nobody breaks one) are amazing.  We'd already been having a great time with the games that have made these famous (Fibbage, Quiplash, YDKJ and Trivia Murder Party) but this was some shit we'd never looked at and took us by surprise.

Would there be any interest in a DVDVR night for these games every week or two? I can set up a discord server to host and I own all 6 packs.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:29 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Glitches in WWE games never fail to amuse me.  Messing around this morning, and i had a ref cross the ring and argue with an outside wrestler who had walked down to ringside and climbed up on the apron.  Due to a glitch, the ref and wrestler got stuck in a loop and spent approx. 7 minutes arguing.

On the other side of the ring, my opponent cradled me in a small package.  Since there was no ref to count the pin, we spent the seven minutes reversing the small package, but never managing to break it up.

When the ref finally got the outside wrestler out of the ring, he immediately dropped to his knees and counted the pin.  Keep in mind, the referee has been on the other side of the ring facing away from me (towards the crowd) for the past seven minutes and never turned my way before he counted.  He stared into the crowd the whole time and could not possibly have seen the  small package much less known if someone's shoulders were down.  

WWE refs really are blind.  It's not a problem, apparently.

That's not a bug, that's a feature!

On 4/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, supremebve said:

If anyone is looking for a quarantine RPG to dive into, I can't recommend Trails of Cold Steel enough.  I put over 100 hours into the first game and I'm already about 15 hours into the second.  Both are under $30 bucks in the Playstation store.  

Yeah, I can also co-sign that recommendation. Spent quarantine finally completing the first one and am now on the Epilogue of the 2nd one.

35 minutes ago, Liam said:

Yeah, I can also co-sign that recommendation. Spent quarantine finally completing the first one and am now on the Epilogue of the 2nd one.

It's crazy that none of the major game sites seem to have paid any attention to these games.  I learned about these games on a random YouTube video about great games you may have missed.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:21 AM, jaedmc said:

That's totally worth ten bucks.

It's on my wish list but I can't pull the trigger because I got enough to play as it is.

By the way, my first crack at Streets of Rage 2 in over 20 years and I made it to stage 7(out of 8 ) with my five year old. Not as good the second time around with my 12 year old, who felt like he'd brought the family great dishonor by not achieving more with the old man. 

So a great night for ME.

Streets of Rage 4 comes out in three days and is getting some great reviews. "I'll be playing the for years", "best game in the series", "perfect couch co-op", "the soundtrack is good enough", etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You know, I just got that Capcom beat 'em up pack for the Switch not knowing Streets of motherfucking Rage 4 was coming out in hours, but I'm getting Streets of motherfucking Rage 4. The Kotaku and Polygon reviews make it sound pretty much perfect. Now, for some reason, my PC has been having some video playback slowdowns for a second here and there the last week or so within Chrome, so I'm not sure if the frame rate drops are on my end or the game but that's the only thing I am not loving. Vintage music, characters, gaining health back after specials, familiar baddies... All looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 2

Streets of Rage 4 looks totally tempting. But when I ask would I have time to play?

Well, we are in a quarantine.....

Lizardcube can do no wrong. If you love Streets of Rage 4, please get Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap from the same developer.

All we need now is a Sword of Vermilion, Fatal Labyrinth or Ristar remake from them and all will be right in the world.

I've had SoR4 on my Switch wishlist for a minute now. I'm just curious if it's like the Beat 'Em Up Bundle, where you can save your progress. That's all I really hate about side scrolling beat 'em up games - if you quit the game, you have to start over. It was a welcome surprise to discover that the Bundle let you save and you started off in the level where you saved. I've beaten 3 of the games so far in there, but then I got Animal Crossing, and, well, yeah....

Unrelated but fuck Tom Nook.

• Like 2

The kotaku review said the missions are not even in an order outside of the incredibly difficult sounding arcade mode (no continues!), so there's no order and if you run out of continues in normal mode you pick up at the start of the level again. 

I was trying very hard not to impulse buy SoR4 because I already have so many fucking games, but when I told my co-worker about it coming out he immediately purchased it in front of me and, well, that was enough peer pressure. Grabbed the Capcom bundle while I was at it. At this rate I'll never finish Last of Us. That's probably not a terrible thing.

• Like 3

I impulse bought SOR4 with no regrets.  But I'm going to wait until my wife gets home so we can both get into it.  We pretty much picked who we're going to be (saw UpUpDownDown's livestream for a bit) and can't wait to dive in.  The fighting game bundle still needs to be played so depending on how long it takes to beat SOR4 hoping to have time to get into that.