DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I uploaded a few of my custom designs on AC:NH today, since the tailor shop opened.

So far I've done a WWF scratch logo shirt, Supreme hoodie, Creeper (Minecraft) tank, and a Dodgers cap.

Couldn't get the WWF vintage logo to look right, so I'm taking a break from that one.

Will be doing band shirts as time (and creativity) permits.

My creator id is: MA-8710-9921-0031

https://imgur.com/a/gQktLCT

Edited by Travis Sheldon
Fixed url

Progressing further into Far Cry 5 - I've barely scratched the surface of stuff to do in Faith's region, but I'm already loving this section. The random encounters with her are nice, keeps you guessing what's real and what isn't in her game area. Went to shoot a deer with my Blood Dragon sniper rifle, and low and behold, it was actually a bear. I feel bad for Faith, though. If her story is true, anyway. Going with the assumption that it is, she's just a broken girl that's being taken advantage of by Joseph. I don't want to kill her when I get to that mission, damnit. Unless something changes. Everyone in-game is saying she's a liar, so it's possible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I uploaded a few of my custom designs on AC:NH today, since the tailor shop opened.

So far I've done a WWF scratch logo shirt, Supreme hoodie, Creeper (Minecraft) tank, and a Dodgers cap.

Couldn't get the WWF vintage logo to look right, so I'm taking a break from that one.

Will be doing band shirts as time (and creativity) permits.

My creator id is: MA-8710-9921-0031

https://imgur.com/a/gQktLCT

Tried searching your creator ID, my man. It says there are no designs available for that ID. Just letting you know. 

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I have never played a Persona game and only seeing bits and pieces of it I'm not actually sure what the fuck is going on, but Persona seems Extremely Video Game and I would probably like it.

It's a great game.  I'd still say the best in the series is Persona 4 Golden, but I haven't beaten 5 Royal yet and it's gonna be a long time before I do.  Right now I'm so early in the game that new stuff is minimal.

22 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

It's a great game.  I'd still say the best in the series is Persona 4 Golden, but I haven't beaten 5 Royal yet and it's gonna be a long time before I do.  Right now I'm so early in the game that new stuff is minimal.

I want to play Persona 5, but I'm about 40 hours into Trails of Cold Steel and there are two more games in the series that I want to play.  Not to mention that Final Fantasy 7 Remake is coming out in a little over a week.  I just don't know when I'll have time to play a game that can take over 100 hours to complete.

Since I know both had different bugs upon release, does anyone know which version of Jedi: Fallen Order runs better if you have a base model PS4 and an Xbox One S, or is the answer that they both run poorly?

Everyone that has left a Switch friend code in this thread in the past three pages: I've added you. I don't play Animal Crossing (yet?), but I added you guys nonetheless. So if you see a friend request from someone named Casey, that's me... obviously.

Mine is SW-4387-8502-7604

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

For those who remember the original fondly, the Resident Evil 3 remake is releasing tomorrow. 

only buying this so i can get the mod that puts Nemesis in an Umbrella Corporation thong

How did i not realize until now how well the GameCube holds up?  Most games from that generation don't hold up for me, but a lot of the Gamecube exclusives still do it for me.  Maybe because Mario and DK games weren't trying to do "realistic graphics" before the hardware was ready.  Currently having a blast playing Alien Hominid and Super Mario Sunshine 

KInda feel the same way about the N64.  The platformers still hold up.  Admittedly, not much else does aside from Sin and Punishment, but there are a lot of great platformers for that console.  I feel like an N64 Classic would sell really well.

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

How did i not realize until now how well the GameCube holds up?  Most games from that generation don't hold up for me, but a lot of the Gamecube exclusives still do it for me.  Maybe because Mario and DK games weren't trying to do "realistic graphics" before the hardware was ready.  Currently having a blast playing Alien Hominid and Super Mario Sunshine 

KInda feel the same way about the N64.  The platformers still hold up.  Admittedly, not much else does aside from Sin and Punishment, but there are a lot of great platformers for that console.  I feel like an N64 Classic would sell really well.

One I guess good thing about being stuck at home as it takes away many excuses to not get things done.  So I finally got around to hooking up N64 and man does it feel good playing it again.  I'm mainly fucking around with wrestling games but am looking at getting back into the platformers we have.  The others systems may or may not get hooked up upstairs as well but once the basement's finished they'll all go down there.  But we got the CRT TV ready to go and everything, it's just that we need proper furniture to put all this on.

Oh, and my wife said many thanks to those who visited her island in AC Wednesday.  She had a lot of fun seeing those from here and elsewhere visit and if anybody wants to visit again I'll let her know.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

@jaedmc is it that bad? That's on my next games list.

I'm playing Kingdom Hearts III right now and I'm realizing that I don't have the same patience (even in a lockdown) that I did in my early/mid 20's to 100% this game. In particular the gummi stuff, they had all these years to make that interesting and it still stinks.

• Like 1

I guess your mileage may vary. The characters you deal with the most are fine. I think my issue is that almost all the dudes look tough but sound like accountants moonlighting at the local improv. Like no one really feels battle hardened.  

It doesn't totally ruin the game because I just skip through dialogue, a lot of which is extraneous and redundant.

The game play can be fun though and killing giant machines can be a blast. I like that there's really more than one way to skin a cat. Laying traps, being stealthy, that shit is fun. 

I've only got two major complaints. One is clipping in combat. Like if I'm hiding behind a pillar and the monster is on the otherside - I think it's shitty if I die because it uses its pounce attack and clips part way through the pillar to kill me. That shit happened a lot early on.

The other is a lack of LEDGES. There's so much to explore and I hate that there are a ton of flat ledges that you can't jump and latch on to. This comes up way more than I expected. Like unless it has a white worn edge or it's yellow rope, you can't grab it. Bullshit.

Not as fun as say Shadow of War or Spider-Man, but it does some different shit, and the story concept itself is very interesting and overall I am enjoying myself. It should also be noted that because of how open it is, it's totally possible that the shit I'm complaining about is something you rarely struggle with. So it could be even more fun to you. 

19 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I'm playing Kingdom Hearts III right now and I'm realizing that I don't have the same patience (even in a lockdown) that I did in my early/mid 20's to 100% this game. In particular the gummi stuff, they had all these years to make that interesting and it still stinks.

I hated the gummi ship stuff in III. II was probably the best of the titles for that, the open space stuff of the newest game is just confusing. You are trying to head to where you think the next area planet is and suddenly you're getting smashed by enemies 10 levels above because the map is garbage. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, twiztor said:

made it my mission to beat the original Metroid this weekend. had played it minimally until now. once i hit my stride, i freaking loved this game. hand made my own maps for maximum enjoyment. had to reference my old ass strategy guide for 2-3 things but otherwise this was a blind run. 

tons of fun. i want to play this all over again but may jump right into the gameboy sequel

On 3/28/2020 at 9:54 AM, twiztor said:

and now Metroid II is completed!

much like the first, i didn't think much of it early but investing time made me really appreciate and enjoy it. unlike the first, this seemed to be very linear early on. IT IS NOT. i had to resort to an online map as i was fooled until it was too late.

the limitations of the gameboy made for quite a few "leaps of faith" in the vertical areas. odd use of music as well- some places it was practically nonexistent while others it was heavy and foreboding.

OK, Metroid has officially become one of my favorite video game series. 

i just finished up Super Metroid. holy shit, is that a great game. took 10hr, 3 min. finished at 78%. I'd say that's not bad for a first time playthrough with no assistance. 

This game improves everything that the first two games lay out. I can't get over just how solid this game is. It has a reputation of being a masterpiece, and it earns every bit of that praise.  And that final boss fight is.....emotional (!). 

I am so fully addicted to the Witcher 3. I realize I'm really, really late to playing it, but I bought it and all the DLC from PSN for $15 forever ago and never really started playing until just after we finished watching the Witcher on Netflix. I play this thing for 2 to 3 hours a night and I'm currently level 21. I have no idea if my build is good or not, but I'm having so much fun with it. I think what is most surprising is just how engrossing all of the storylines are. Some of the stories are super dramatic and I never expected that or the voice acting to be as good as it is.

I also just now went to Skellige. The reason why it took me so long to go to Skellige is that I just have to visit every single question mark on the map to see what's there. It's rare that a game grabs me like this where I have to see everything, but this one has somehow done it. I also love having to find recipes for armor and weapons in order to create them. Right now I have the full set of level 18 Griffin armor and swords. Next step is to start finding the next step up from this level of gear. I also made my choice between Triss and Yen. Triss forever. That seems like a better relationship for Geralt. Hitching my wagon to Yen seems like it would just be very frustrating so I don't think I'll be romancing Yen when I have Triss waiting for me back at home. 

See, shit like that is stuff I never expected to write about for any game. I'm not sure why I'm so invested in who Geralt winds up with, but here I am. This is just such a good fucking game.

• Like 2