DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Every European country except the UK closes the schools to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus. And so PSN Store decides now is the time to release this:

image?w=240&h=240&bg_color=000000&opacit

• Haha 4

In fairness, there was never going to be a right time to release that, or any other, weirdo loli game. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

In fairness, there was never going to be a right time to release that, or any other, weirdo loli game. 

OOOOoooOOOO, look at Mr Fancy-pants "I'm too good to spend my quarantine cranking it to creepy anime video games" here.  

• Haha 4

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/steam-new-concurrent-player-record-20-million/

Steam surpassed 20 million concurrent players on the evening of March 15, setting a new record as gamers stay indoors amid concerns over the new coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.

The peak concurrent player count, according to Steam’s official statistics page, was 20,313,476 players. The achievement comes just a day after the gaming platform set the previous record of 19,728,027 players.

I guess people are hoarding Switch consoles now?  My neighbor wanted to pick up a Switch for her son and no chain store in the area has one, apparently (I did call a mom-and-pop retro store for her and discovered they have a couple).

Amazon is out of stock too.  Chains like Best Buy and Walmart seem to have Switches available for online orders, but I'd be a little leery of that.  No idea what their supply chain is like right now.  Also, who the f*** knows if mail will still be running end of the week.

Looked around.  Supply of PS4 Pros and Xbox Ones seems fine.  Amazon seems ok on game stock, though I did notice that delivery for Amazon prime members is usually four or five days instead of 1-2.  Nioh 2 is out of stock already on Amazon, backordered until April.  Yeah, that sounds like a bad bet.  We'll probably be living without electricity and internet by then.

Nintendo has mastered the art of "create an artificial shortage to drive up demand" since the days of the Wii.  It's insane the amount of money that company leaves on the table.

Hard copy delivery is fucked right now though.

I would guess it's less Nintendo's artificial scarcity and the one-two of an highly-anticipated game coming out and a lot of people figuring out that they'll be stuck inside a lot for the next couple of months.

Wasn't there some kind of issue involving Switch production that tied into the trade war with China?  I know they moved some of their hardware production to Vietnam as a backup plan for possible China problems, but I doubt that was enough. This current shortage likely ties in to all that.

He seems like a fun character so far.  Didn't really play a whole lot as him yet; my office job hasn't shut down so I'm actually away from home a significant amount of time during the day still. 

Don't let the tutorial fool you.  He isn't as boring as they make it look.  It doesn't show you any of the cool stuff, really.  Probably the worst tutorial to character representation I've seen out of all the characters in the game.

I'm not sure he really meshes with my playstyle but he's pretty cool.

Edited by Tromatagon

Nioh 2 seems like "all the stuff that sucked in Nioh 1, but more, so the cracks show more easily". I hope you like seeing the same 5 enemies but their damage just scales up.

Nice to see they're still designing bosses that have a visual tell that could just lead to 3 totally different things. I'm sure someone thinks this is good but it sure isn't me.

I just finished Ori and the Blind Forest, since it's been on sale a lot leading into the sequel's release, and man, this game was always sold to me as "it's good" but that feels like it was undersold to me. This was incredible. One of the best platformers I have ever played. Obviously it's stunning visually and sonically, but it's so nice to play a game where the narrative and the action both keep up to that same high standard. 

There was only one puzzle I just didn't understand and didn't make sense to me, but other than that it was pretty close to flawless.

• Like 2

GameStop is telling employees to keep stores open - even if local authorities try to force them to close.  Apparently, the chain considers itself an essential business.

https://www.ign.com/articles/gamestop-employees-told-to-keep-stores-open-because-they-are-an-essential-business-amid-covid-19-outbreak

I have no words.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

GameStop is telling employees to keep stores open - even if local authorities try to force them to close.  Apparently, the chain considers itself an essential business.

https://www.ign.com/articles/gamestop-employees-told-to-keep-stores-open-because-they-are-an-essential-business-amid-covid-19-outbreak

I have no words.

Honestly, until someone gets the coronavirus in a Gamestop in a state/county that's under lockdown, nothing will be done. I'm not even sure that would curtail their practices.

My wife: "We're stuck in here. The kids are stuck in here. Let's just get a PS4. Our newest consoles are a Wii U and a PS2."

Me: "I'm going to buy a $15 dollar battery replacement for our WiiU controller that dies after 20 minutes instead."

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

My wife: "We're stuck in here. The kids are stuck in here. Let's just get a PS4. Our newest consoles are a Wii U and a PS2."

Me: "I'm going to buy a $15 dollar battery replacement for our WiiU controller that dies after 20 minutes instead."

Matt, why are you hustling backwards?

Strongly considering taking a half day to go home and start Animal Crossing.

What is currently breaking me is that our copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl crashes at the same point during story mode so we can't progress and I'm not sure what else to play with the 7 year old at this point (We have almost every co-op game with a story mode but some of the Lego ones, the Yoshi one, and Hyrule Warriors here). 

I'm not actually sure a PS4 fixes this problem. If I get the Wii U thing fixed I can just play another few hundred hours of Breath of the Wild.

Plus i mean, it's the apocalypse!