DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

9 hours ago, Gonzo said:

The NFL and 2K Sports have entered an agreement to allow 2K to produce "non-simulation" NFL games.

They won't be able to produce a direct competitor for Madden, but I guess they'll be doing other stuff.

Can't wait for microtransactions and the developers of WWE 2K to provide 'enhancements' to NFL 2K21. EA's deal for Madden ends next year.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War any good? It's currently something like $5 on the Switch eShop. I'll probably end up getting it regardless, since it's just a fiver and I've been looking at it for a few weeks, but still.

I also bought Civilization VI for the Switch, so, uh, goodbye free time.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Valiant Hearts: The Great War any good? It's currently something like $5 on the Switch eShop. I'll probably end up getting it regardless, since it's just a fiver and I've been looking at it for a few weeks, but still.

I played the PS4 version and it's fantastic.  Totally worth $5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly I haven't been as depressed in years as being a 38 year old man trying to hang on by one claw to whatever is left of my reaction time in Apex Legends. I am a totally useless slug and it feels bad.

FPS games are cancelled.

*cackling* and "Join the club, kiddo" over here

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

What a lot of people no doubt suspected has been confirmed. E3 is cancelled this year due to health risks.

This one is actually probably doing a lot of people a favor

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

What was that football game where you could have players doing steroids and shit like that?

Yeah, make another one of those.

Blitz: The League II is arguably the finest video game of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

He took that man's helmet off and hit him with it. I imagine this is NSFW due to violence.

edit: broken ribs, out for 2 plays. Wait, I thought this wasn't a simulation!?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

He took that man's helmet off and hit him with it. I imagine this is NSFW due to violence.

edit: broken ribs, out for 2 plays. Wait, I thought this wasn't a simulation!?

Holy shit. What Jae said. I need to play this. I've never seen a video of this until now. I only read reviews or articles. This is hilarious.

The story mode was written by the people who wrote that ESPN show "Playmakers." 

You play a version of The Longest Yard against a prison team QB'd by a Mike Vick expy named Mike Mexico (the last name, of course, referring to Vick's "Ron Mexico" name that he used to sign into hotels and give women gonorrhea). 

It's one of the few edgy games that actually doesn't feel too try-hard. The soap-operatic aspects of it all work perfectly. Plus, the gameplay is excellent!

You should also play the first one, which isn't as good as II (though it is still damned good), but which has a storyline that carries through to the second game, which is, of course, a FUCKING MASTERPIECE, legitimately one of my favorite games ever. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

I think I only ever played the regular Blitzes. I don't think I knew there was a sequel with a story mode.

I actually introduced my son to NFL Blitz a few months back when we went to Galloping Ghost(the greatest arcade ever). He was enthralled by it. I think we may have had more fun on that than most any other machine. 

NFL Blitz: Bringing Families together.

Just a lil summary: the coronavirus seem to have made the Asian regions raise their gaming demands. More systems are in demand and games are selling more. It maybe because they have to stay indoors with nothing to do.

One of the hot ticket items is Ring Fit Adventure, which is getting a huge markup on the aftermarket.

14 minutes ago, turk128 said:

Just a lil summary: the coronavirus seem to have made the Asian regions raise their gaming demands. More systems are in demand and games are selling more. It maybe because they have to stay indoors with nothing to do.

One of the hot ticket items is Ring Fit Adventure, which is getting a huge markup on the aftermarket.

Great, so the Asian imports I get regularly on eBay may go up price-wise.

Started playing Life is Strange: Before the Storm (it was £3.99 on PSN). It's a prequel to the first game and you play as the best friend character. Feels very strange to be in these locations and not have any powers though. The special skill in Life is Strange is Time Control. In Before the Storm,  it's arguing.

Nightdive Studios & Alcon Entertainment are restoring the 1997 Blade Runner PC game and releasing it later this year for the PS4, Xbox One, Switch and on Steam.

"It's true that the original Blade Runner source code was lost," says Larry Kuperman, head of business development at Nightdive. "We painstakingly reverse-engineered the code, importing it into our own KEX engine, a powerful tool that allows us to do console ports of classic titles, even in the face of quite challenging situations."

Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will feature a "polished and premium restoration" from Nightdive Studios via the company's proprietary KEX game engine, which it has used to restore Turok and System Shock for contemporary platforms, among other titles. The game will feature updated character models, animations and cutscenes, as well as widescreen resolution support, keyboard and controller customization and more. The original foreign language translations (which include German, French, Italian and Chinese) of the original game have also been sourced for the Enhanced Edition.

• Like 2

I bought Far Cry 4 yesterday because I had like eight dollars of PS Store credit and decided to finally play it. I am very ready for a "go there--->shoot that" game to beat slowly over a couple of months.

Though it's getting ignored next Friday as soon as I get my hands on my copy of Animal Crossing. 

39 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

You can probably beat it by then pretty easily.

Even with the way I play these games, which is to do every sidequest and level up all the things?

Though I guess I already did beat it technically, since the first thing that I did was to trigger the secret ending.

Edited by Smelly McUgly