DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Celeste (required for Switch owners, probably on sale now)

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 (so people can see you rage)

Dead Cells

Guacamelee 1 & 2

The Binding of Isaac

Ori & The Blind Forest Definitive Edition (If you don't have a Xbox One, perfect good reason to get this)

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove

Bayonetta 2 (get a new copy)

DKC Tropical Freeze

• Like 1

Can someone who upgraded from the PS4 slim to PS4 Pro give me an idea how big the difference is, in practical terms.  I don't have a 4k tv in the room the consoles are in, and have no immediate plans to buy one for gaming.  I'm debating whether to buy one now, or wait.  Honestly, I'm just fine with the way most games look (I still play PS3 and X360 regularly and have no issues with the way those games look, for that matter).  

Only real reason to buy a Pro now is for the handful of games that might not run well on the Slim.  I've still got God of War, Nier Automata, and Sekiro on my pile.  I kinda want a system that plays those three fairly well.  Not too concerned about occasional frame rate drops unless they're frequent and terrible.

Debating buying a pro.  Might be a waste of money if I decide to buy a PS5 soon after release.  I'd prefer to wait a while till the library is built up, but I may not.  If most games are really backwards compatible and the console launches with some system sellers I want....

FWIW, most of my PS4 collection  and want list is indie games and remasters - which don't require the power of the PS4 slim, to begin with.

Can someone throw out some pros and cons, or games that run poorly on the slim?

Thanks.

God of War runs perfectly fine on a PS4 Slim, no frame drops.  I can't speak to the other too games.  

The only game I really know runs poor on a non-PS4 Pro is Control and anything VR.

1 minute ago, Whodathunkit said:

Can someone who upgraded from the PS4 slim to PS4 Pro give me an idea how big the difference is, in practical terms.  I don't have a 4k tv in the room the consoles are in, and have no immediate plans to buy one for gaming.  I'm debating whether to buy one now, or wait.  Honestly, I'm just fine with the way most games look (I still play PS3 and X360 regularly and have no issues with the way those games look, for that matter).  

Only real reason to buy a Pro now is for the handful of games that might not run well on the Slim.  I've still got God of War, Nier Automata, and Sekiro on my pile.  I kinda want a system that plays those three fairly well.  Not too concerned about occasional frame rate drops unless they're frequent and terrible.

Debating buying a pro.  Might be a waste of money if I decide to buy a PS5 soon after release.  I'd prefer to wait a while till the library is built up, but I may not.  If most games are really backwards compatible and the console launches with some system sellers I want....

FWIW, most of my PS4 collection  and want list is indie games and remasters - which don't require the power of the PS4 slim, to begin with.

Can someone throw out some pros and cons, or games that run poorly on the slim?

Thanks.

I'm willing to bet money that you will never notice the difference between a regular PS4 on a 1080p television and a PS4 Pro on a 1080p television.  It especially won't matter if you just save that cash now and use it towards the PS5 which is backwards compatible.  If you were switching televisions, maybe it would make a difference, but probably not.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm really digging the hell out of The Division 2, just wandering around and cleaning out DC.

I'm also impressed how accurate the map is.  I mean, it's still condensed from the real City, but still pretty overall accurate.

I didn't realize Sony had confirmed that the PS5 would play all PS4 games.  The console is based on the PS4 architecture so it should play all PS4 physical discs right out of the box.  None of the goofy emulation that Microsoft does.  

I thought backwards compatibility was still in the "wait and see" phase.  Apparently not.  So, yeah, no reason to buy a PS4 Pro unless I spy a limited edition console on eBay that I like.

Edited by Whodathunkit

On 2/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, odessasteps said:

I figured that fell under the jrpg umbrella. 

JRPG =/= dialogue-light open world action/adventure games based on exploration, real-time combat and puzzle solving with no leveling or stats. Zelda is not a JRPG. It is, however, essential.

The other exclusives I'll back up Bayonetta 2 (which I started recently, wow), Golf Story (which is ten times the JRPG Zelda is), Smash Bros Ultimate (really good single-player story mode), Super Mario Odyssey (an A- Mario game, which still smokes 99% of the field), the hilarious West of Loathing and the shockingly good Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which is super-cheap to pick up now. If anyone who does like JRPGs is reading, Fire Emblem and DQXI:S are wonderful, refined and bursting at the seams with content.

Indies I've dug on Switch are Hollow Knight, Celeste, Sonic Mania, and Cave Story +. There's tons of others I'd be playing if I didn't have a huge retro backlog, but I've got my eye on Baba is You and either Dead Cells or Slay the Spire.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Yeah, Mario + Rabbids wasn't exactly a challenge but it was really enjoyable. Hollow Knight and Sonic Mania are great on the Switch, so I back John E. Dynamite on those suggestions. Luigi's Mansion 3, despite its dogshit controls, is really neat especially when you start getting to the themed levels and bosses. I need to beat that and Pokemon. Unless you adore Marvel and the previous games, I thought Ultimate Alliance 3 was a huge waste of money. Splatoon 2 is great. 

I couldn't get my friends into Crawl but it looks good. Blaster Master Zero is excellent and a must if you liked the original on NES. And Tetris 99. I had never really gotten into Tetris before, so it was a huge learning curve and I'm still not good but now at least I can eliminate people and not necessarily be in that first wave of eliminations every match.

Edit: and if you haven't played Rogue Legacy, get that! It's one of my favourite roguelikes.

Edited by Oyaji

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Unless you adore Marvel and the previous games, I thought Ultimate Alliance 3 was a huge waste of money.

This is pretty much my opinion as well.  I don't know why they took that formula and stripped away all of the fun, but that's exactly what they did.  Maybe it's better in multiplayer, but the AI of your team is so dogshit awful that I found some boss fights unbearable.  When your entire squad dies, because they have no idea that they are supposed to avoid attacks, you have a piece of shit game.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Enjoy!

1568828152458.gif

Try to get it cheap tho.

Yeah that didn't happen, I bought it for like $42 or something. That was last week, though. Keep up!

Nothing to do with anything, but I think I enjoy Bloodstained more on my TV than I do portable.

I just beat Bloodstained last weekend.  It was a fun time, but short.  I got 99% of the map and don't give enough of a fuck to try and figure out where that last percent is since you don't get anything but a trophy for it anyway.

I got 200.6% on Symphony of the Night but that was a better game.

ya'll are nuts, Ultimate Alliance 3 is awesome and is exactly like the old games from what I remember. Only got it the other day and I'm already at level 20. Some of those Infinity challenges are fucking hard - I had to redo one about 4 times (where it's a constant wave of 200 total enemies). Ms. Marvel is definitely my #1. It's fun handheld, but it's a lot better seeing it on a big screen.

Everspace is actually pretty cool - game doesn't end when you die, but it's randomly generated space levels with enemies, resources, mission objectives, travel jump points, etc. It's perfectly fine handheld, haven't done it on my TV yet, but I imagine it'd be better with a pro controller (which I'm looking into - there's a bundle on Amazon that has that and Breath of the Wild).