DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

As if I wasn't already crushing on her hard like a junior high schooler, St. Vincent said she's put in 300 hours with Breath of the Wild after getting hooked on it filming a movie in which she plays it. 

Anyone ever have a game disc get stuck in the PS4?  I was deleting some games and installing a few new ones and one of the discs seems to be stuck.  Console isn't recognizing the game, so the menu command won't work nor will the eject button.

Google suggests turning it on its side (vertical), so I'm going to try that.  If not, there's a way to manually eject the disc by taking a section of the cover off and turning a screw, but I'm hoping to avoid that.  Kinda concerned the console is broken (though it was fine right before this).  Console is only 7 months old with moderate use.  I was going to upgrade to a Pro soon anyway, but it's the limited edition Days of Play model, do I'm hoping it's not going bad already.

Is this a common occurrence, or should I be concerned something else is going on.

Edit: Tried the recommended methods to get the disc out.  No luck.  Fortunately, it's still under warranty, so I hopefully can get it fixed or replaced.

Edited by Whodathunkit

37 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I had this happen once, just unplugged it for a while and everything was fine after a hard reboot.

I unplugged it for about half an hour and set it on its side (per advice on the internet).

What should I do for a "hard" reboot?  I booted it into safe mode, but wasn't sure what to do after that.  

I'm leaving it unplugged overnight.  Will check it again tomorrow.  If no progress, I'll call customer support and see what my options are.  It's still under warranty, so there should be a solution.  I was planning to buy a Pro sometime in the spring anyway. 

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Finally playing through Sleeping Dogs and it is a blast, and for only $5?! I actually got it for that price a good while back but it's currently on sale for $5 yet again, great pickup for anybody who's been curious.

Yeah, incredible game. Sold like two million copies and "didn't sell well enough" to justify a sequel.

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Just unplugging it for a couple minutes is a hard reboot.  No need to do it longer than that.

Thanks.  I already had it unplugged twice tonight, so I'm guessing that won't solve the issue.  I can always ask the it guys at work to take a look at it or exercise the warranty, so it's not a big issue.  Been playing a lot of PS3, X360, and Wii lately, and the games I was planning to buy this month were mostly for older consoles, anyway. 

I feel like it's time to go out and buy a PS4 Pro.  Should have done it last summer.  Walmart has them marked down to $299 and I have a relative that used to work there and still gets the employee discount.  So.....

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Sleeping Dogs is fucking awesome and I'm sad it never got a follow up.

If it got a follow up, it needed to have the driving fixed and it could've used a wanted system more similar to GTA.  Since Wei is and undercover cop, it didn't really sit well with me to have to potentially kill a shit ton of cops to make my getaway.

That's also the reason I didn't max out the Triad tree.  Didn't feel good about putting up a high HK Metro body count.

It's not like the GTA games where you're a criminal and putting down police bots is almost par for the course, and even then I try to no totally give in to my inner FRUTVALE STATION, MOTHER FUCKERS~! spirit and drive up my wanted level higher than I can manage because I smoked every pig in sight.

BLACK LIVES MATTER~!

BLUE LIVES SPLATTER~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

So, uh, the problem with my PS4 was that I stuck the disc in the PS3 (one shelf down, right below the PS4) by mistake.  The PS4 console didn't detect the disc because.... there was not disc in the F***ing machine.

I am dumb.  Seriously, seriously dumb. 

Fortunately, the console seems no worse for wear even after I poked around with it last night.

Still kinda thinking I'll buy a Pro when I get paid mid-week.  Or at least start watching sales.  We're starting to see some games that run well on a Pro and really poorly on a standard slim (Control).  I'll be really surprised if Ghost of Tsushima runs well on the vanilla console.  Planned to pick up a Pro before TLOU 2 and Ghost hit shelves anyway.  As many 7th and 8th generation games as I still have to play, I'm kinda wanting wait awhile before I pick up a next gen system.   We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Alright, best Switch games, go. But spare me the JRPGs because I'm not into that. I've already got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Let's Go Pikachu, LA Noire, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Everspace. And I'm already going to get Mario Odyssey, so suggest some games I should buy with it.

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

Alright, best Switch games, go. But spare me the JRPGs because I'm not into that. I've already got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Let's Go Pikachu, LA Noire, Ultimate Alliance 3 and Everspace. And I'm already going to get Mario Odyssey, so suggest some games I should buy with it.

Breath of the Wild... or is that too obvious