DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

40 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I really wanted to like Metal Gear Solid.  I quickly grew frustrated with it, however.  Then, still early in the game, I needed to stand against a wall and throw a grenade.  My dude had his back against the wall.  I hit the button to throw the grenade without moving.  My guy took a step away from the wall, turned around, and then threw the grenade against the wall so it landed at my feet, exploded, and I died.  That ticked me off so much I quit playing.

I tried to go back and play Metal Gear Solid at one point, and the controls are stupid.  With that said, that game was revolutionary when it came out.  It was one of the first games that really stretched the limits of the 32-bit era.  It is borderline unplayable at this point, but a lot of it is because they were the first to even try some of the things they were implementing in that game.  Those games were created for stealth first and shooting/fighting second...and the shooting sucks...especially if there is someone shooting back.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-06/nintendo-says-shipments-of-peripherals-delayed-by-coronavirus-k6ae2slj

Nintendo Co. said shipments of its Switch console and related peripherals such as the Joy-Con controllers have been delayed by the coronavirus outbreak.

Many predicted that delays were eventual. Not just hardware either, but also software.

I've been loving Legends of Runeterra since the open beta started a two weeks ago. It's a CCG. It doesn't really try to reinvent the wheel but improves on little things that other digital CCGs have done. Both players being able to play units and spells during the turn makes for some interesting strategy. The game is full of lore from League of Legends and cards will react to each other with voice-overs on the battlefield making for some funny moments.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I didn't play Bloodstained because I thought it was ugly since it didn't have pixel art.

I WAS WRONG

I LOVE THIS GAME

FORGIVE ME IGA I LOVE YOU

People told you.

I think they did anyway.

Probably due to a lot of factors:

• Sony pretty much saying that they will no longer have a presence at E3 and making their announcements at their own con and sosh media outlets..
  • Nintendo probably going to follow Sony's lead.
  • The big personal information leak last summer.
  • The ESA taking a more trade show approach which has tanked attendance to Geoff's E3 Coliseum events and pretty much sucked the fun out of the entire convention..

AFAIK, he's still slated to host Gamescon.

I'm not going to speak on it too much since rules and what have you but I got a Retropie (running on Raspberry Pi 3 A+) system and it was worth every penny. Not that it was even that expensive, but damn. Why didn't I do this sooner?

29 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The Game Awards have clearly, and rapidly, eaten a lot of their momentum. Granted a lot of the games that chose to debut there last time were not AAA titles, but the ball is rolling downhill.

Yeah the transition from media outlet to pure trade show is understandable, but it really sucks the fun out of the event and I am not sure if E3 realizes that it has given up it's heralded role as video game industry buzz vanguard to competitors like the TGA, PAX, GamesCon,or even Comic-Con.

I don't think it was just personal information leaks from last year, I think it's the fact that there was a Twitter account actually saying what Nintendo/Microsoft/third party publishers were going to announce before they announced it. ESA's response (or lack thereof) to that was abysmal at best and I think that soured participation for this year.

I'm playing Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and I'm so happy right now. Just had a nice little Kobashi/Hansen match that was nasty. It's weird how this is basically every other AKI game but it just plays so different.

• Like 1

I also feel like it's the game that does the best job of replicating high flying and dives to the outside. Fire Pro is incredibly difficult (gotta get them dizzy on the outside) and 2K is a mess with that stuff. I absolutely loved doing tag matches with junior heavyweights in VPW 2.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm playing Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and I'm so happy right now. Just had a nice little Kobashi/Hansen match that was nasty. It's weird how this is basically every other AKI game but it just plays so different.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the second they ever announce a PS4/XB1/Switch/PC port of this, they'll have my money.

I'd love a port, too, because FirePro ain't doing it for me. All the wrestlers that I downloaded the other day through the shitty FPW.net site that I had to fight with are not playable because I don't own the DLC that includes some of the features that were used to create those wrestlers, and I'm basically sick of even trying to set this fucking game up to be playable, and I miss when they'd do the thinly-disguised expies of actual pro wrestlers and companies for you so that you could just edit in the proper names yourself. 

Fuck that game. 

• Sad 1