DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Speaking of classic systems, I'm thinking I need a new Raspberry Pi board, as now it's just not outputting on HDMI, which pretty much renders it useless.  I'm more considering just replacing it with the actual mini systems to remove the pesky input lag issue that makes most games 20x harder to play(and by play, I mean speed run) than usual.

I don't really care about the PSX mini because everything I really care about for PSX I have the PSN version of on either my PS3 or PS4 (or the better PC ports in the case of the Resident Evil's)

• Like 1

The PS Mini can run RetroArch and can easily take USB thumb drives with no extra adapters, and you can get them in stores for $20.

SNES/NES Minis are not being made any more, so they are usually more expensive on eBay/Amazon. 

Yeah, I gotta push for those mini's as I'm more interested in the NES/SNES stuff than PSX, and don't want to spend the  money on new controllers for my consoles and the SD carts.

I'm finding myself unnaturally in love with Elite Dangerous, even just doing courier missions (mostly because the Bounty stuff requires a ton of tracking that I don't feel like doing)

Finally bought a Switch with Animal Crossing preorders beginning pushing me over the edge.

I have to remind myself that I can't play every game at once so I don't need to buy $300 worth of games on the first day I own the console.  But it's really hard not to. 

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm finding myself unnaturally in love with Elite Dangerous, even just doing courier missions (mostly because the Bounty stuff requires a ton of tracking that I don't feel like doing)

I have had that game for two years and still never made it out of the landing tutorial. It's really cool, but I am absolutely not wired for it 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:05 AM, JLSigman said:

Been noodling around with the Steam port of the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy III. I forgot how much the old games loved to kick your ass and laugh over your corpses. 

Finally got around to beating this. It's cute and grindy, but really doesn't encourage a lot of job changing later in the game. 

Playing Spider Man on the PS4. The swinging controls are a bit more frustrating than they old PS2 games were. Shoot Web and Wall Run being the same button means you can be high speed chasing a drone or a pigeon one second, then sitting on a wall as it flies away the next, and you have to really fight the controls to get back to free movement. With PS2 Spider-Man games that was never a problem.

Good game though. I've got over 60% completion and I only just finished Act 2. I get sidetracked easily.

GTA 5 continues to frustrate and annoy me with bad controls and lack of focus so...

Instead I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn.  Got it for dirt cheap ($5.80 or something).  I'm barely into the game at all, I still suck at combat, but I'm enthralled.  The environments are gorgeous.  The story has me hooked.  I love the character of Aloy.  The voice acting is fantastic*, even the young child version of Aloy.  Yeah, gonna be sinking a lot of time into this one.

* - the voices are excellent; it's too bad the facial animation is not.  Lips move and all but they definitely don't sync to the voices and it doesn't look great.  

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

GTA 5 continues to frustrate and annoy me with bad controls and lack of focus so...

I always anticipate GTA games, play them for about a week and realize that I'm no longer having fun.  The sandbox is fun, but once I'm done causing random mayhem there isn't really much that the games do well.  The driving sucks, the shooting isn't great, and about 25% of the missions are a huge pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I always anticipate GTA games, play them for about a week and realize that I'm no longer having fun.  The sandbox is fun, but once I'm done causing random mayhem there isn't really much that the games do well.  The driving sucks, the shooting isn't great, and about 25% of the missions are a huge pain in the ass.

Yep, exactly my feeling so far.  I had an early mission where I needed to tow a car.  After the instructions tell you that you can hook up to either the front or rear of the car, I spent a couple minutes trying to hook up to the front of the car.  Annnnnd...never did.  Pretty sure you gotta hook up to the rear, I'm not sure.  Didn't find out because I got highly irritated at it and quit playing.

As expected, am totally obsessed with Tetris 99.  Bought Luigi’s Mansion along with the switch on Friday expecting to play it all weekend and didn’t even touch it.  

Best finish so far was 12th and I don’t know how the hell I’m going to do better than that with how fast things were moving.  

I have been playing the Borderlands 1 Enhanced Edition GOTY (fancy way to say Remaster) and goddamn, does that game absolutely pop with the enhanced shading and lighting effects. It also has by a massive margin the best soundtrack in the series too. I got through main story in 17.1 hours which feels like good time for a filthy casual (who has about 120 hours in the OG game, 600 or so in 2, and 250 in pre-sequel). Haven't touched the DLC yet. I've never actually played Claptrap's Robo-Revolution so I'm looking forward to that.

The Destroyer still sucks and is the lamest boss in the series. Everything else is good though. I kind of like how the game is much less in your face with the comedy and so you get much more of a "lone wolf out in a wasteland" vibe. Nothing else in the series feels like that, at all, and I kind of miss it. But once they figured out they could make more money being extra wacky the writing was always on the wall. Just as always the game feels like all the enemies are very stiff compared to the way all the other games feel, so it's kind of an adjustment. But honestly I kind of feel the toned-down style is probably going to help the game age well and people will probably be kinder to it than we would have thought 5 years ago.

19 hours ago, CSC said:

As expected, am totally obsessed with Tetris 99.  Bought Luigi’s Mansion along with the switch on Friday expecting to play it all weekend and didn’t even touch it.  

Best finish so far was 12th and I don’t know how the hell I’m going to do better than that with how fast things were moving.  

Tip #1: Make sure to play only while Japan is asleep.

Tip #2: Refer back to Tip #1. 

KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO [4]

I am writing this as I am still processing Act 5, because I feel I will need to do that for quite some time. What I can say in this waiting period is that, having taken the day off to play through the entirety of it again, it is an outstanding achievement in narrative for video games, and even as it takes time for me to sit with Act 5 and "What It All Meant," every moment I remembered as being impactful in the prior 6 years (I came in on Act 3 in 2014), and it adds up to one of the first great tragedies in this medium. The only reason I would say you shouldn't play it is if you get irrationally angry at reading, to the point where you endanger yourself or others. I recommend it to literally everyone else.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Tip #1: Make sure to play only while Japan is asleep.

Tip #2: Refer back to Tip #1. 

Tip #3: Glance at Hardrop's channel and make sure he's on a Puyo-Puyo kick.

6 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO [4]

I am writing this as I am still processing Act 5, because I feel I will need to do that for quite some time. What I can say in this waiting period is that, having taken the day off to play through the entirety of it again, it is an outstanding achievement in narrative for video games, and even as it takes time for me to sit with Act 5 and "What It All Meant," every moment I remembered as being impactful in the prior 6 years (I came in on Act 3 in 2014), and it adds up to one of the first great tragedies in this medium. The only reason I would say you shouldn't play it is if you get irrationally angry at reading, to the point where you endanger yourself or others. I recommend it to literally everyone else.

I haven't played Act 5 yet (I think fair to say I want to be in a very specific headspace before replaying this), but I will say that based only on the first 4 acts I think Kentucky Route Zero is one of the strangest, most unique, most memorable art games ever made. I can't imagine anyone not having an opinion about it if they take the time to play it, and though it's been years since I last played it, the impression it made on me was strong.

I started Detroit: Become Human last night - no clue how far into the game I am, but I've been playing for a few hours now and... it's really good. Between this and Beyond Two Souls (haven't played Heavy Rain yet), it's my favorite.

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I started Detroit: Become Human last night - no clue how far into the game I am, but I've been playing for a few hours now and... it's really good. Between this and Beyond Two Souls (haven't played Heavy Rain yet), it's my favorite.

Shaun! Shaaaaauuuuun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1