DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Guest The Magnificent 7

Racing / driving games have always been one of my favorite genres so I got a racing chair with all the wheel /pedal mount hardware for Christmas. Playing Dirt Rally 2.0 is mega difficult (they call the series the Dark Souls of driving games) with a controller so I ordered my wheel (Logitech G29) today. Super excited to get it in. 

Not cheap, but I know it will be cheaper in the long run than the last time I had to scratch the “drive a fast car” itch when I got a real fast car and was happiest the day I sold it.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, christopher.annino said:

So new year, new thread, how's everybody's backlog/pile of shame looking?

Mine is not that bad, mostly because I rarely pick up games unless I know I will play them within a couple of weeks:

• MGS V - I started this two years ago or so and put some time into it, but at one point I got bored with the mechanics of the game and the monotonous (is that the correct word?) map, i.e. everything looks the same, little varity (apparently, there is some African stuff later in the game). The confusing story did not help. I doubt that I will get back to this one.
  • Persona 5 - 1.5 years or so ago I got really far (like December). But I was so overleveled that the dungeon I was in just got boring. As I usually play in bursts (it can happen that I don't play anything at all for 4-6 months), I drifted away from this game and never really got motivated to get back to finish this.
  • Witcher 3 - The game I put in many years a year ago. I basically cleaned-up the main map and the map of the first extension (though I did not finish the main quest). After starting with the map of the second extension, I again got into "this is getting boring" mode and let it drop. Maybe I will get back to push through the main quest.
  • Kingdom Heart All-in-one: I picked this up a couple of months ago. I finished the first main-line game (I did not remember that game to be that short) and got about 2/3 through the Sora-part of Re:Chain of memories (I am pretty sure that I will never get back to this - the battle system is fine, but the story part is just rough and the Disney part is just copy+paste from Kingdom Hearts 1). I have not yet started with the rest.
  • Assassin's Creed Origins: I picked this up over Christmas and currently put in an hour or two per day. I have not yet picked up any DLC and doubt that I will do so (as the main game is big enough and I suppose the DLC will be more of the same, i.e. getting boring).

Speaking of Platinums - it is a little irritating that to get the Platinum on Return of the Obra Dinn, you have to play it a 2nd time but shittly.

And I don't say that because of a "there were different moral choices". No it's basically just "make a bunch of shit up and leave"

The thing with Second Son is, it's tempting to think of it as a Superhero blast everything game, but if you play it like that you die a lot. It's actually a cover shooter, but without an actual cover system (or a crouch button). So combat is just a series of engage-disengage-heal repetitions, and you only die when you accidentally retreat to an area that also contains enemies.

currently playing:
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)

to-play list (in order):
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (GameCube)
Axiom Verge (Wii-U)
Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube)
--------(reserved for the inevitable game i buy on a whim)-----------
Diablo 3 (Switch)   *i've beaten this dozens of times on PC, this is just for kicks every now and again

I don't have any shame over my unplayed pile.  I buy games when I have some extra cash or see something I particularly want at a good price.  I collect games and I even play some of them.  Just the way it is.  I've probably bought 60-70 games just since Thanksgiving.   I'll never catch up on my PS4 backlog.

I've actually fallen out of "like" with my PS4.  Probably temporary.  But, as a collector, I don't quite love the PS4.  I've grown to dislike the standard PS4 case (too flimsy, no manual, etc.).  And, my PS4 collection seems to be mostly remasters, sequels, and indie games from Limited Run Games and similar publishers.  And those guys are a pain to deal with.Really dislike LRG's business model.  Oh, and I kinda dislike whoever came up with the idea to re-release complete/game of the year/definitive editions with a voucher code for the dlc instead of putting the dlc on the disc.

At the moment,  I'm really into the PS3 generation.  So much great stuff I've never played.  And, since so much of it has been remastered for PS4, I've been picking up more collectible editions than I normally do.  Got the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Set and Resident Evil HD Remaster Collector's Package yesterday.  PS3 library is awesome , even taking into account that 100-200 (more?) games got remastered for PS4.

Anyway, pile of shame I'm going to try to get through before Summer

PS3 - Shadows of the Damned, Ico HD, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, No More Heroes; Heroes Paradise, Vampire/Darkstalkers Resurrection, Vanquish (might play PS4 remaster), Portal 2, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, Oddworld New & Tasty, Asura's Wrath, Spec Op the Line

PS4 - Bayonetta (might play Switch version instead), Last of Us Remastered, God of War III Remastered, Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, End of Eternity HD (can't remember what it's called in NA)

Vita - Rose in the Twilight

Xbox 360: Bullet Witch

Edited by Whodathunkit
  • Like 3

The other problem with the PS4 is there are almost too many "trophy hunter" games that really dilute the value of getting a Platinum. I've known people with over hundred Platinums and they are all these types of games. If it takes longer than 3 hours to do, they are out.

It essentially lessens the number of AAA games for the system because they are so expensive to make and the ROI needs to be extremely high. You end up having less games like Shadows of the Damned, Enslaved, Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom, 3D Dot Game Heroes, The Killer Is Dead, etc and more games like Pic-a-Pix Classic on the system.

• Like 1

I prefer games have trophies that are linked to completing the story and side missions without an insane amount of grind , and I don't play anything online so I don't enjoy those trophies either. I feel like for mostly single player games like Uncharted, those should be optional, kind of like a DLC trophies are, unrelated to a platinum. 

Anyone checked their Playstation Wrap-Ups for 2019? It's all over twitter. I've got 305 hours of Rocket League, 89 hours of Watch Dogs and 59 hours of Agent of Mayhem (how?) as my top 3. 783 hours of gameplay across 277 days. 6 hours was my longest streak (that's a bloody low one by some standards). 320 trophies (224 Bronze, 75 Silver, 18 Gold, 3 Platinum).

See that link in my tweet? Click it and you get your stats for the year.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, RIPPA said:

You mean like My Name is Mayo?

Yes. There's also Ratalaika games, which are mostly decent (but cheap) games. I have Platinums for those, so I'm part of the problem too.

I'm not judging in any way, but I'm mostly concerned with people who play nothing but those games just for the sake of getting 100% quickly. They are missing out and really aren't playing for fun at all.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Anyone checked their Playstation Wrap-Ups for 2019? It's all over twitter. I've got 305 hours of Rocket League, 89 hours of Watch Dogs and 59 hours of Agent of Mayhem (how?) as my top 3. 783 hours of gameplay across 277 days. 6 hours was my longest streak (that's a bloody low one by some standards). 320 trophies (224 Bronze, 75 Silver, 18 Gold, 3 Platinum).

For mine, I got 176 hours in Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3), 82 hours in Fuse, 72 hours in Ratchet & Clank Trilogy (PS3). 1728 hours of gameplay across 211 days. 10 hours was my longest streak. 1299 trophies (885 bronze, 297 silver, 91 gold, and 26 platinums).

11 hours ago, AxB said:

I apparently played less than 10 hours on the PS4 last year. ? 

I got "Legendary Warrior"

If you scroll all the way to the bottom you get some avatars and a theme for doing this, too.

This is the stat page I want to see from everyone (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

Edited by Tromatagon

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I got "Legendary Warrior"

If you scroll all the way to the bottom you get some avatars and a theme for doing this, too.

This is the stat page I want to see from everyone (spoilered for size)

Reveal hidden contents

I got "Legendary Warrior" as well which is surprising considering I didn't play nearly as much as you did.  But gotdamn did I love me some Fire Pro.

EOWKcoCUEAAz_YG?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

This came out way better than I thought it would.  He looks AWESOME.

Also drops with the skins pictured - Killer Croc Baraka, Catwoman Kitana, The Batman That Laughs Noob Saibot (Edgelords rejoice!) and  a not featured in this clip until the very end Darkseid skin for Geras.

Edited by Tromatagon

26 minutes ago, driver said:

I've been on ESO since day one. It and Forza 7 are the only games I play on the regular.

I gave it a shot, but I'm just not an MMO fan.  I hate how watered down MMOs feel when compared to regular single player RPGs.  It's like they take all the parts from single player RPGs I find boring and tiresome, and multiply them by ten and then take all the parts I enjoy and divide them by 4.  

• Like 3

On 1/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, Gonzo said:

I still have to start The Outer Worlds. I meant to do it after I finished Borderlands 3, but then the DLC dropped for it and I decided to get through that instead.

Someday I might actually play the copies of Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV that I bought before I left Germany. Three years ago.

This may be old news now being a week later, but definitely get stuck into The Outer Worlds. The first 10 hours or so is some of the best gaming experiences I had last year. The criticism of it being front loaded are valid but overblown, I had a blast until the very end. Parvati’s story arc in particular is such a poignant and deftly written journey.

Witcher 3 is a singular experience but I got the most out of it because I was itching to play that kind of game. Also, the Gwent music is etched indelibly into my brain. I never even knew what a Hurdy Gurdy sounded like before and now it plays in my head at random moments.

Ive been out of the wrestling bubble somewhat the past few weeks (barring Wrestle Kingdom and Dynamite) as I have a new obsession involving sharing intimate feelings with school kids and exploring corrupted desires...

it’s Persona 5 you perverts!

I know I’m late to the party but everything about the game from the music to the art and character design is top notch. It’s also the only game in my post-uni life that I am prepared to grind/farm, and actually enjoy doing it!