DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

This is the first Christmas in forever that I did not receive a new game.

I mean I don't NEED anymore games because of my absurd backlog but usually I reserve this time to play one of the games I get.

I need to figure out what now... maybe I will put it to a poll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

So we do Xmas morning with my teens today so they can be with their mother tomorrow and they FINALLY have their PS5. This also meant I could finally transfer over all our PS4 stuff and external HD. It's pretty rad but bittersweet, because now the 4 is just sitting there without much use besides my travel system for work trips. That's not nothing - I spent 69 nights this year out there - but it's still a weird feeling. We still have our 3 hooked up but you can't play those games on any other system unless they're been remade. 

So Merry Xmas Eve, my PS4. You can rest now. 

I'm probably a weirdo because I have a PS5 but I'm still playing my PS4 games on my PS4 Pro. I guess for me I want to do PS5 games on my PS5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm probably a weirdo because I have a PS5 but I'm still playing my PS4 games on my PS4 Pro. I guess for me I want to do PS5 games on my PS5.

Makes perfect sense, we never got a Pro so we're using the PS5 for the added benefits!

What a bad game is Vampyr. Combat system is awful. And if you die, it respawns you to start the same fight again, only with an empty power bar instead of a full one... and it's an autosave thing, so you can't just go back to a previous save to level up before the fight. Stupid stupid stupid.

48 minutes ago, Control said:

My in-laws bought us a Nintendo Switch. The first one got lost in the mail (!), so they had to reorder start of the month, and it hasn’t arrived.

So, uh, what should I play on Nintendo Switch?

I mean the standard answer is - what are you into?

Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild is a default answer but if that isn't you sort of game then it isn't the best recommendation

• Thanks 1

Im actually not a big Nintendo guy, so it’s hard to say. Don’t really like sports games. I guess RPGs, platformers, might be more my speed. 

The three PS4 games I’ve been playing most recently are SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS, SAMURAI WARRIORS 4, and KATAMARI FOREVER.

• Like 1

If you like musou games the new Zelda one is supposed to be pretty ace.

I know you don't like sports games but Golf Story is an extremely light and fun golf RPG.

And you really can't go wrong with any of the Nintendo releases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Control said:

Im actually not a big Nintendo guy, so it’s hard to say. Don’t really like sports games. I guess RPGs, platformers, might be more my speed. 

The three PS4 games I’ve been playing most recently are SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS, SAMURAI WARRIORS 4, and KATAMARI FOREVER.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is on Switch. Not sure if that is the same game or not.

Hades is an excellent game that is worth a look. Top down action game with Greek mythology themes.

• Like 1

Yeah I was gonna say Hades (which I need to play myself)

I have seen nothing but raves for it and a few places named it their game of the year (if that sort of thing matters to you)

2 hours ago, Control said:

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Katamari Damacy Reroll is on Switch. Not sure if that is the same game or not.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is a remaster of Katamari Damacy, the PS2 title that started the series.

Katamari Damacy Forever is a PS3 exclusive that's sort of a greatest hits compilation.  Most of the levels are taken from previous games in the series (not just the first game), mixed in with new levels.  The gimmick is that some of the game takes place in the past (the past levels are in black and white, not color).

Although it didn't have a Platinum, I completed Fez on PS4 this morning.

I still wish there were a Fez II but I'm not exactly sure what would be the resulting gameplay for it. It's almost better that there isn't. Maybe Phil Fish can one day just make the game for himself regardless of what people want or expect (and not be self-important about it too). I would love to see what he could do on a PS5 honestly.

• Like 1

Grabbed Jedi Fallen Order & Last Of Us Part II yesterday like I mentioned I would earlier this week. I'm not heavy into Star Wars, but I like this game a lot. Not big on the puzzles, I actually hate them a lot in any game, but the combat is pretty satisfying. I was surprised that a certain character from Rogue One showed up!

I'm really excited to start TLOU 2 next week. I would start it now, but I want to dig into it when I have a few days off, not when I have 6 hours before I have to go to bed before my next shift. Admittedly I never beat the first game, but I know what happens and have watched enough videos to go into it prepared. I got frustrated super early into the first game and rage quit it and never looked back (it was the 2nd or 3rd game I ever played on my PS4 when I got it last year).

Funny enough, the same thing happened with God of War, and then I started Horizon Zero Dawn and the rest is history.

Edited by Casey

Is Ratchet & Clank(PS4) worth playing before the PS5 game is released? It’s on the PS+ Collection, and I have a feeling it’s wonderful, but I’ve never played a R&C game ever. I’m just afraid I might spoil all the tricks of the new upcoming game if I jumped into it with the previous game.

Well on the subject of PS5... I played Astro’s Playroom. This is a glorified free tech demo, and love letter to Sony’s past systems, as well as the aesthetics of the companies products. But damn it’s a really good one of these. It’s also a Mario Odyssey rip-off, that doesn’t overstay its welcome like Odyssey does. And I’ve joined in the call to push Sony into giving this team a bigger game to work on(They probably are knowing how far in advanced these games are developed).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, RIPPA said:

I should note that I might just go ahead and buy myself a copy of Fuser this weekend and then everything will be sorted out

For the record I did grab Fuser since it was one sale.

You gotta admire Harmonix not updating their visual style for a decade+

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is Ratchet & Clank(PS4) worth playing before the PS5 game is released? It’s on the PS+ Collection, and I have a feeling it’s wonderful, but I’ve never played a R&C game ever. I’m just afraid I might spoil all the tricks of the new upcoming game if I jumped into it with the previous game.

Well on the subject of PS5... I played Astro’s Playroom. This is a glorified free tech demo, and love letter to Sony’s past systems, as well as the aesthetics of the companies products. But damn it’s a really good one of these. It’s also a Mario Odyssey rip-off, that doesn’t overstay its welcome like Odyssey does. And I’ve joined in the call to push Sony into giving this team a bigger game to work on(They probably are knowing how far in advanced these games are developed).

Ratchet & Clank (PS4) is indeed worth playing. Although you could get the HD Collection and play 1-3 then Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty (I'm not sure it's on PSN store anymore though) then Crack In Time. Oh and Into The Nexus.

I think a full-on Super Mario Galaxy style game with Team Asobi would be amazing. Although Astro Bot Rescue Mission had some frustrating bits (the chameleon challenges especially 1-4 which took me several days to complete).

• Thanks 1

I picked up Sundered Eldritch Edition on the Switch for $4.

Almost had myself convinced that I'd never be able to enjoy a MetroidVania again after my negative experience with Hollow Knight.

But Sundered looks gorgeous and plays great.

It's very grindy and not hand-holdy, but still enjoyable.

I'm so impressed with the game that I'll probably pick up Jotun, by Thunder Lotus the same developers as Sundered, since it's on sale for $3.

Edited by Travis Sheldon