DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw some poll that asked whether anyone would be playing this game if Cyberpunk released on time, and about 90% of people said no.  This game had the best launch in the history of the series...and I'm one of those people who is only playing it as a place holder.  I got my hands on an Xbox Series X and wanted to play a game that took advantage of the new hardware.  I wanted to get my hands on a PS5 so I can play Spider-Man, but haven't been able to find one.  I don't play Call of Duty, and even if I did, I wouldn't buy anything starring Ronald Reagan*.  So, I've been playing Assassin's Creed and for the most part I've enjoyed it.  

*My high school Government teacher who was a foul mouthed, old man with Parkinsons.  One day he came in and asked the class "What the fuck did George Washington do this time?"  Then looked up from his desk and said, "Fuck Ronald Reagan."  This was when they changed the name of Washington National Airport to Reagan National Airport.  Until the current occupier of the White House, Ronald Reagan was the most inexplicably beloved person of my lifetime. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So to the shock of no one, I ended up playing Like a Dragon next.  It fucking rules, and the dub is largely very good.  BUT I really wish they had just left the songs in Japanese if they were going to dub them without working the words to rhyme.  "Bakamitai" sounds fine, but the faster hard rock songs are EXCRUCIATING, as they try to fit words into a meter they weren't written for.  Remember the 90s when anime companies would go for less exact translations in favor of making it something a human could sing to the melody? Do that or just leave the songs subbed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Watch Dogs: Legion's online mode has been delayed until sometime in 2021 as the team is focusing on fixing all the bugs of the single player first

This is Ubisoft we're talking about. So the online mode is never coming out because they will never fix all the single player bugs.

• Haha 1

So I found myself on Walmart.com trying to buy a Switch tonight (for my wife), and..... every time Walmart restocked their supply, the damn things sold out in seconds.  Literally.  At 7PM, I was basically just continuously reloading the page.  Reloaded the page, sales wasn't live yet.  Clicked reload again, sale was live.  I put the Mario Kart Switch bundle in my cart, clicked on checkout.... and was told the supply was out of stock and the item couldn't be added to my cart after all.  This all happened in the space of 30 seconds or less.  The sale couldn't have been live for more than a couple secs before I tried to add the item.

Same thing happened at 7:30 and 8.  Sold out in seconds.  Can someone explain this to me?  I'm wondering how this is possible.  Bots?  I guess maybe there could be that many people online watching the same page, and they somehow managed to dump the console into their carts before I did, but that seems almost impossible.

I've been though online Black Friday sales and launch days sales before.  I wouldn't have been too surprised if the site had sold out in a few minutes, but, honestly, only a few secs could have passed between page reloads.

I did finally find what I wanted at Best Buy.  Not the bundle but the regular 2nd edition model with red/blue joycons.  I'm going to have to wait about a week but that's not a big deal.  It's for my wife.  She wants a second Switch to play Animal Crossing on in bed.  

Crazy.  I can't imagine what it's like trying to score an Xbox Series or PS5 during the Christmas season.  Someone on my hometown was on Facebook earlier trying to sell an Xbox Series X (open box, from the pics) for $2,100.  I was laughing at that until they edited their post and marked it sold like an hour later.

My Lynx carts for Evercade came today.  Those were at least half the reason I bought the damn thing.  Given that they don't have access to the Atari and Midway stuff now held by WB Games, they got all the most important stuff that was on the table. I wish they had balanced the carts a little better--Collection 1 has a bunch of later-era Atari/Epyx titles and some homebrew stuff by Songbird, while Collection 2 has all the early marquee titles like Electrocop, Blue Lightning and California Games, so there are 17 games on cart 1 and only 8 on cart 2.  I am still really enjoying this dumb little system, and hope they can ink a deal with WB to get all the classics they've swallowed up.

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

So I found myself on Walmart.com trying to buy a Switch tonight (for my wife), and..... every time Walmart restocked their supply, the damn things sold out in seconds.  Literally.  At 7PM, I was basically just continuously reloading the page.  Reloaded the page, sales wasn't live yet.  Clicked reload again, sale was live.  I put the Mario Kart Switch bundle in my cart, clicked on checkout.... and was told the supply was out of stock and the item couldn't be added to my cart after all.  This all happened in the space of 30 seconds or less.  The sale couldn't have been live for more than a couple secs before I tried to add the item.

Same thing happened at 7:30 and 8.  Sold out in seconds.  Can someone explain this to me?  I'm wondering how this is possible.  Bots?  I guess maybe there could be that many people online watching the same page, and they somehow managed to dump the console into their carts before I did, but that seems almost impossible.

I've been though online Black Friday sales and launch days sales before.  I wouldn't have been too surprised if the site had sold out in a few minutes, but, honestly, only a few secs could have passed between page reloads.

I did finally find what I wanted at Best Buy.  Not the bundle but the regular 2nd edition model with red/blue joycons.  I'm going to have to wait about a week but that's not a big deal.  It's for my wife.  She wants a second Switch to play Animal Crossing on in bed.  

Crazy.  I can't imagine what it's like trying to score an Xbox Series or PS5 during the Christmas season.  Someone on my hometown was on Facebook earlier trying to sell an Xbox Series X (open box, from the pics) for $2,100.  I was laughing at that until they edited their post and marked it sold like an hour later.

Xbox Series X/S aren't as impossible to score as the PS5. Microsoft has regularly had stock on their website every morning that I've checked (and doesn't sell out in seconds - usually around 30 minutes or something). But yeah, every morning this week, multiple times a morning, they have stock.

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/microsoftxboxseriesx/

I've been using this for the new Xbox and the PS5 accessories. I'm not pulling the trigger on anything until next week, at least for the Xbox anyway. If any of the PS5 stuff comes into stock this weekend, I'll jump on it (minus the camera and controller).

Got my 195th Platinum trophy with Shadow of Mordor for PS4. Probably one of the most frustrating AAA games I've ever had to play - the combat sorta sucks, the stealth elements really suck, and the game loves to throw swarms of enemies at you and your character loses health very fast.

I may do the DLC later after I get my 200th Platinum.

• Like 3

Someone’s selling a PS5 on eBay for $1,000,000.  Lol, at Least they bundled it with Miles Morales:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStation-5-Console-Disc-Edition-Brand-New-Bundle-Ships-Immediately/193765602614?hash=item2d1d547536:g:-cEAAOSw3opfvVak

i’m assuming it’s a joke and they don’t seriously expect to sell it at this price, but I’m still speechless.  And appalled.  

https://kotaku.com/marvels-avengers-didnt-sell-as-expected-says-square-en-1845763877

Earlier this month in Japan, Square Enix held a briefing for investors. This week, the Tokyo-based game company finally released an official transcript of the meeting.

During the presentation, Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda said, “The HD Games subsegment posted an operating loss as initial sales of Marvel’s Avengers were lower than we had expected and unable to completely offset the amortization of the game’s development costs.” 

How much was this loss? When addressing Matsuda, one participating investor estimated the loss was 7 billion yen ($67 million)—an estimate that Matsuda did not refute. The same participant asked if the HD Games subsegment would have been profitable if Marvel’s Avengers had sold enough to cover those development costs. But even then, the participant believed that the loss was too large to simply be due to lackluster Avengers sales.

“Absent factors associated with Marvel’s Avengers the subsegment would have been in the black,” Matsuda replied. “In addition to the amortization of that game’s development costs, another significant factor associated with the title was the fact that we undertook a major advertising campaign at the time of its launch to make up for delays in our marketing efforts resulting from the covid-19 pandemic.”

I fee like I should be interested in a Triple-A Avengers game but..... I'm not.

I'm planning on replaying the Arkham games sometime soonish and I've got two Spider-Man games.  I think I'm good for superhero games.

Otherwise, I think I've become a Switch gamer?  Odd timing for me, but ok.  I haven't booted the PS4 since I finished Miles Morales last weekend and I've suddenly lost interest in checking out the sales.  KInda thinking about buying an extra micro SD card or two (the "official" SanDisk cards are heavily discounted right now for Christmas sales and adding a lot of my favorite indie titles to Switch (most of my indie library is on the PS4).

I think it's the new gen thing.  I kinda feel like PS4 is done even though Sony's planning to support it for three more years.  I enjoyed Pathless and Miles Morales quite a bit but also feel like I'm going to end up buying and playing the same games again when I get a PS5.  And I'm really not interested in PS5 or Xbox Series yet (sadly, i own a Series X and it's not getting a lot of love yet).

54 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I fee like I should be interested in a Triple-A Avengers game but..... I'm not.

Between Marvel and Star Wars, there is a lot of money left on the table by not putting out great Triple-A video games with their properties.  At least Star Wars tries, outside of the Spider-Man games, there really aren't any good Marvel games and there hasn't been for a very long time.

• Like 1

The Game and watch SMB 1 and SMB2J comes with Infinite lives modes, should make the second game easier. Plus option to select between Hard  or normal mode for SMB, and the option stays able to be selected even if turned on and off.

• Like 1

My replacement Series X turned up today. Setup was fine and, after installing all of the streaming apps we use, I was able to spend some time with Valhalla. That load time stuff is the real deal. It wasn’t even something that bothered me much, but man...it feels like a feature I won’t be able to live without now that I’ve experienced it.

Not sure I like the textured controller. Or maybe it’s just that it’s a bit smaller. As someone with big ass mitts, that might be an annoyance during a long play session. Hardly a big deal, though, as I think I could just use the older XB1 controllers I have if necessary. It’s also something I’ve dealt with since the NES, so I’m used to it. 

• Like 1

Playing Vs. Super Mario Bros on the Switch (part of Hamster's Arcade Archives series; it's a port of the 1986 arcade game, not the NES home release).  It's interesting.  I don't remember if I've ever played the arcade version before.  I probably have.  I was spending a fair bit of time in arcades in the mid-80's, but I didn't ever remember SMB was released in arcades until the Switch title was released.  

I'm enjoying it, but it's damn hard.  It doesn't help that I've played SMB fairly recently on the Nintendo mini and I keep expecting level layouts and enemy placement to resemble the home version.  Ugh, muscle memory.  The arcade game was much more difficult and replaced a number of levels with harder levels that got recycled for the original version of SMB 2 (aka the Lost Levels). 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 8:12 PM, Eoae said:

Someone’s selling a PS5 on eBay for $1,000,000.  Lol, at Least they bundled it with Miles Morales:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PlayStation-5-Console-Disc-Edition-Brand-New-Bundle-Ships-Immediately/193765602614?hash=item2d1d547536:g:-cEAAOSw3opfvVak

i’m assuming it’s a joke and they don’t seriously expect to sell it at this price, but I’m still speechless.  And appalled.  

He's probably serious.   The going rate for PS5s and SXs on eBay is around $800 with most sellers are asking around $1K for their reserve price.

With any luck, the major retailers will release their reserve stock on Cyber Monday and prayerfully, they will also have bot countermeasures in place to ensure that regular customers have a fair shot at buying a console.  The sooner that Sony and Microsoft increase supply, the sooner the scalping market will dry up.

Best Buy earned a lot of goodwill on Saturday by dropping Xbox Series X consoles on the market and adding extra hoops to the checkout process to weed the bots from the humans.   I scored on Saturday and pick it up on Wednesday.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I'm posting this here because the Sports Game thread is hit and miss on activity. Has anyone tried any of the recent Tennis games and have any thoughts? I'd love to have a solid tennis game to play, as I loved Top Spin back in the day, but it seems that there aren't any to super rave over? A google search on AO Tennis 2 vs World Tennis 2 is hit and miss as well.

I have now won my first ever game of Fall Guys. Didn't take very many attempts at all. Certainly wasn't playing every day in season one or anything.

• Haha 1