DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 10/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Until I handled an Oculus I had no idea just how rudimentary and sad the PSVR is, and now I'm ready to buy one with my PS5 war chest since I probably won't be able to buy one of those til after I get my 2021 tax refund

I had always heard that the headset was really heavy and distracting.  It wasn’t bad at all.

That it took me a few hours to get over the vertigo was rough.

13 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

I had always heard that the headset was really heavy and distracting.  It wasn’t bad at all.

That it took me a few hours to get over the vertigo was rough.

The Rift or Quest 1 might be bad, or maybe it's just that the PSVR is worse despite being lower end tech. But I found the Q2 easier to wear and easier to play with on Beat Saber and Superhot since it didn't require keeping your head and your sticks in the webcam area.

This morning I meant to just look at the trophies for Horizon Zero Dawn, just to see how far I was (and good lord, the DLC is split into two different sections, then the original game, then a New+.... ugh). Accidently clicked on the game instead, and since you can't immediately exit the game when it's loading up, I just thought "fuck it" and sat down to play it for the first time in probably a year - and ended up 100%ing the DLC quests section and doing odds and ends like finishing off all the bandit camps and Tallnecks.

I forgot how fun and beautiful this game is.

That's all, that's the post. This game might be my favorite game that I own. I absolutely fucking love the story.

I need a release date for Forbidden West, ASAP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An uncommon run of positivity today!

Among Us [3]
It's not bad but I have trust issues and the thought of trying to deceive someone gave me a legit panic attack. A reminder that my 3 is "i don't regret this", which is true. It's interesting and if there was a version where I could Never Be The Impostor, that'd be a game I would like. Or if that Hide And Seek mode became a full fledged mode that you don't have to yell at a settings menu to make work.

Jackbox Party Pack 7 [4]
It's the best Jackbox they've ever put out. It's not close. Like two of the games aren't the biggest hits in my circle- Blather Round and The Devils And The Details (which is bad but ambitious)- but Quiplash 3 fixes the bad final phase of Quiplash, and the other two new games are GENIUS. The second best is Champ'd Up, where you have to draw and name the champion of a certain concept (I got the concept of Murder and drew "Literal Dynamite"). Then, that drawing is sent to another player with the name, but not the subject (so they drew "2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee"). Then, everyone else votes on what the winner is (I lost). The idea is amazing, and it's improved by how much better the drawing tool is. But let me go ahead and bust out a seperate rating for the best game in Jackbox history.

Talking Points [4]
Ted talks are now for cornballs. I think we can all openly admit this. So Jackbox made a Tedtalk game. Step 1: write three prompts. Step 2: pick a prompt. Step 3: give a presentation. The catch is, another player is picking the slides while the presentation is going, so the presenter is getting surprised by the pictures and must incorporate them as they talk. Fortunately they also get to add captions and draw on the slides to make impromptu diagrams. It's... it's perfect. Oh, and after the game, you can make up your own award and give it to whoever for whatever reason.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution [4]
Okay. so. I'm waiting for the Tekken patch because I'm currently too mad at Armor King to play Tekken. So I dig out my copy of VF4 Evo and hey guess what: this is still one of my favorite fighting games ever. The tutorial is ridiculous in its depth. The gameplay is so clean and perfected that I forgot how much I prefer VF to every other fighting game. I live in fear of whatever this new Virtua Fighter sega is making, but I'll always have 4 EVO.

I Replayed Return Of The Obra Dinn [4]
...and I'm pretty sure it's the best of the indie puzzle games for one reason: since it's hard to remember the names and faces of 60 people you don't actually know, the amount of time that passes before you've forgotten all the solutions is so short that you can actually play it again sooner than every other game in this genre. For example, I'm probably another decade out on being able to play Fez a second time, because I have to wait until I forget about two specific puzzles. With Obra Dinn it's been like two years? And it was like I didn't play it at all the first time.

as for the november game rush, I am the person that has ignored everything else coming out in favor of Yakuza: Like A Dragon, so stay tuned for my review of that.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Talking Points is glorious but half my usual Tuesday Jackbox group won't touch it. ? I wish the new pack had a new YDKJ or Trivia Murder Party just because we are running out of surprises on those from 5 or 6, but I'm not sure I'd eject anything from what's there. Maybe Devils if we could get a new Bomb Corp next time?

10 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

An uncommon run of positivity today!

Jackbox Party Pack 7 [4]
It's the best Jackbox they've ever put out. It's not close. Like two of the games aren't the biggest hits in my circle- Blather Round and The Devils And The Details (which is bad but ambitious)- but Quiplash 3 fixes the bad final phase of Quiplash, and the other two new games are GENIUS. The second best is Champ'd Up, where you have to draw and name the champion of a certain concept (I got the concept of Murder and drew "Literal Dynamite"). Then, that drawing is sent to another player with the name, but not the subject (so they drew "2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee"). Then, everyone else votes on what the winner is (I lost). The idea is amazing, and it's improved by how much better the drawing tool is. But let me go ahead and bust out a seperate rating for the best game in Jackbox history.

Talking Points [4]
Ted talks are now for cornballs. I think we can all openly admit this. So Jackbox made a Tedtalk game. Step 1: write three prompts. Step 2: pick a prompt. Step 3: give a presentation. The catch is, another player is picking the slides while the presentation is going, so the presenter is getting surprised by the pictures and must incorporate them as they talk. Fortunately they also get to add captions and draw on the slides to make impromptu diagrams. It's... it's perfect. Oh, and after the game, you can make up your own award and give it to whoever for whatever reason.

10 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution [4]
Okay. so. I'm waiting for the Tekken patch because I'm currently too mad at Armor King to play Tekken. So I dig out my copy of VF4 Evo and hey guess what: this is still one of my favorite fighting games ever. The tutorial is ridiculous in its depth. The gameplay is so clean and perfected that I forgot how much I prefer VF to every other fighting game. I live in fear of whatever this new Virtua Fighter sega is making, but I'll always have 4 EVO.

As a guy in his mid-30s who grew up loving fighting games, even with nobody to play with, and generally dislikes playing online (which makes most modern fighting games useless to me, what a paradox, huh), VF4Evo’s commitment to making a worthwhile single-player experience makes it a game I keep trying to get but haven’t gotten around to finding at a reasonable cost. Thanks for reminding me to seek it out.

• Like 1

My one and only contribution to The Spooky Day was that I bought the XBone version of Prey at Wal-mart for 5 whole American dollars.  Usually there's an install, but I popped the disc in and it was ready.  I forgot I'd installed it - and then never played it - back when it was on Game Pass. 

I really only bought it because I watched one of the excellent Game Maker's Toolkit videos on the Gloo Cannon and it seemed like it'll be worth fucking around with that.  Plus now I can ignore it on Steam.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:00 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Talking Points is glorious but half my usual Tuesday Jackbox group won't touch it. ? I wish the new pack had a new YDKJ or Trivia Murder Party just because we are running out of surprises on those from 5 or 6, but I'm not sure I'd eject anything from what's there. Maybe Devils if we could get a new Bomb Corp next time?

Blather Round might be my favorite Jackbox game they've done.  It's essentially a puzzle trivia game, which are my two favorite genres.  My family and I legit played just that game for three straight hours over Zoom yesterday.

I'm trying to at least get the platinum trophy for Horizon Zero Dawn before my PS5 arrives next week. I think it's manageable, at least getting to 100% on the base game before then, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up breaking my controller for the Hunting Grounds trophies. As it stands right now, all I have left are those and collecting all of the figures, ancient vessels and metal flowers. And getting the entire skill tree unlocked (I'm at three skills left).

I'm looking forward to the eradication of load times, though. HZD made me remember how much they suck.

• Like 3

The Hunting Grounds trophies are basically about using the right weapon.  The Tearblaster is a must, as well as other stuff with high tear.  Harverster Arrows (for the Warbow) are also needed.  Having the fully upgraded weapons from the Frozen Wilds also helps a ton.  

• Like 2

Watchdogs Legion is probably sort of a bad game story/mission wise, but a hilariously fun game sandbox wise.  I got this lady whose only attribute is is that she's flatulent.  You sneak around and every once in a while she squeaks one out and alerts the guards.

It happens when she walks around too.  It's infrequent enough to surprise you and make you laugh every time it happens.

You won't like anyone like the Watch Dogs 2 crew because it's all randos you recruit, more or less.  But some of the randos are hilarious, sometimes unintentionally, like when you get a motherfucker that dresses like Mr. Fuji but he sounds like the PSYCHO SOMATIC ADDICT INSANE guy

• Haha 1

Late to the party, but Hades may end up as my game of the year. It just *feels* good to play. Super tight controls. One of those games where, if I get hit, I absolutely know that it was my fault, not due to any randomness from the game. 

The music and voicework are both great and, for a Rogue-like/lite, I’m surprisingly into the story. 

Still playing BreakPoint as well. Literally going from icon to icon and clearing them out. Couldn’t tell you anything about the story. Don’t know when I last did a mission, in fact. Can’t say that I’m enjoying it much, but it’s a way to mindlessly pass some time. 

• Like 2

Those time trials in Horizon Zero Dawn are the only reason I gave up on going for the Platinum trophy. I find those type of quests frustrating in every game. I loved everything else about that game though.

Finished Act 3 of Ghost of Tsushima earlier today and am pretty close to the Platinum. Once I get that I still need to check out the Legends mode, it sounds fun.

• Like 2

Ninja Theory is hiring.  I’ve seen postings online for several different positions.

i’m really amused by the graphic that accompanies their Twitter postings.

Edited by Eoae

yeah the GOTY candidates right now seem like Hades, Genshin Impact, and Animal Crossing. Among Us blew up HUGE this year but it came out two years ago, so, there's that. A lot of the big budget games this year have either whiffed or been super divisive. The best big budget game I can think of is Ghost of Tsushima and while it's well made I struggle to look at it and think "Yeah, that's the game of the year". Granted there's like 13 new games out next week but somehow I think it's still going to come down between those three.

for the record i do not like genshin impact but talking about games that blew tf up this year, that's one of them

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Ninja Theory is hiring.  I’ve seen postings online for several different positions.

i’m really amused by the graphic that accompanies their Twitter postings.

Probably the first day there....

"When's DmC Devil May Cry 2 coming?"

"It's not."

"When's Enslaved 2 coming out?"

"It's not."

"Can I play Hellblade II on a PS5?"

"It's not possible."

"When's Bleeding Edge 2 coming out?"

"....I quit."

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

yeah the GOTY candidates right now seem like Hades, Genshin Impact, and Animal Crossing. Among Us blew up HUGE this year but it came out two years ago, so, there's that. A lot of the big budget games this year have either whiffed or been super divisive. The best big budget game I can think of is Ghost of Tsushima and while it's well made I struggle to look at it and think "Yeah, that's the game of the year". Granted there's like 13 new games out next week but somehow I think it's still going to come down between those three.

for the record i do not like genshin impact but talking about games that blew tf up this year, that's one of them

Among US is huge right now, but so was Fall Guys right before it. 

To go along with the Sony talk, Best Buy is saying they won't have next gen consoles on shelves in stores until sometime in 2021.  When they restock, they'll make them available online only.  You will be able to buy a console online and pick it up at the store.