DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

So there's this one Fade Rift in DA: I that you encounter pretty early on, but you're far too low level to defeat the enemies guarding it at first. So every time I levelled up I'd go back, and every time we'd all die horribly without doing any damage. So I gave up for a while. Eventually I go back because we're kind of decently advanced into act 2 of the game now, and we're actually winning the fight! Only the final surviving monster runs away, and in chasing it down to kill it so I can close the rift, we all go so far away that the thing respawns as new and we have to start over. So then we kill everyone again, and the PS3 crashes before I can save it. What joy.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:25 PM, cwoy2j said:

Like a lot of people in the Covid times, I started breaking out my old systems from when I was a kid. Got my old NES, SNES and Sega Genesis going. And either I was a super genius as a kid or my reflexes are now on par with a coma patient and I've gotten progressively dumber as I've gotten older because it's a chore for me to beat games I used to fly through. I used to be able to pretty much just speed run through Life Force whenever I wanted but now I almost use every one of the 30 lives that the classic Konami Code gives you in that one.

Reflexes getting worse and lack of practice definitely plays a big effect, but depending on how your TV is set and how your physical setup is, there might also be some serious lag compared to analog TV 30 years ago.

I bought the Salamander/Life Force PSP Collection a little over a year ago and gpt smoked by it, despite remembering those games as being significantly easier than Gradius. I think when it comes to shmups, level memorization is even more important than reflexes.

The VITA/PSP/PS3 store is closing down in a couple of days. I'm trying to figure out what else to buy before it's too late. 

Just a notice for y'all that this is going down.

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The VITA/PSP/PS3 store is closing down in a couple of days. I'm trying to figure out what else to buy before it's too late. 

I thought the ability to buy PS3 + VITA games was going to be discontinued on the PSN web store, but that you'll still be able to buy games if you're using the consoles to do it.

5 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I thought the ability to buy PS3 + VITA games was going to be discontinued on the PSN web store, but that you'll still be able to buy games if you're using the consoles to do it.

Well, there you go. I just heard "ability to buy VITA games over." If it's just the web store, carry on. I never use it anyway.

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The stores aren't closing down, but access to them is being removed from the app and desktop pc interface.  Only the PS4 and PS5 stores will be accessible from desktop computers and mobile apps.

The PS3/Vita/PSP stores will still be online but will only be accessible from the app on that particular consoles (ie, you can browse and buy PS3 games from your PS3 console but not your phone or pc).

Edit: I didn't read Johnny Dynamite's post until after I posted.

Edited by Eoae

I would definitely recommend Outland, PixelJunk Shooter, Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken, Guacamelee, Rain (I really need to 100% it soon), Tokyo Jungle (why this didn't get a PS4/PS5 port I don't know), Critter Crunch (completely underrated puzzler), and ports of X-Men, The Simpsons Arcade, D&D Shadows of Mystaria, DuckTales Remastered, and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

PSN/XBLA had some great undiscovered gems before PS4 made indie games AA and PS5 makes them AAA.

9 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

3 new classic tables (FUNHOUSE~!, Space Station and Dr. Dude) landed for PinballFX3 today.

Been waiting for these for quite awhile.  Funhouse is my all-time favorite table by a million miles - everything else is fighting for 3rd place it's so far ahead.  Super pumped to try these out!

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Been waiting for these for quite awhile.  Funhouse is my all-time favorite table by a million miles - everything else is fighting for 3rd place it's so far ahead.  Super pumped to try these out!

I'm finding myself super engrossed in Space Station. It's the first WMS table Zen or Farsight have done that I'd never even heard of, and it's just a really solid late 80s table with less flash than a Pinbot but also less bullshit. It feels really good and I have been working the Survival Challenge all day.

So I think I am nearing the end to Last of Us Part II  and 

Spoiler

it pisses me off that I have to play as the person who kills Joel. It not only pisses me off but they rationalize it as if she is a good person. I am currently at the point where Abby and the transgender kid are going to the hospital for meds.   Also I am guessing Abby is trans too  since she has 24 inch pythons and when Owen was having sex with her she had the body of a guy. The video game graphics couldn't be that bad right?

My daughter and I are both on the Genshin Impact train. She LOVES Breath of the Wild and is playing through it again, so it's only natural for her to dig Genshin Impact.

For a free game, it's pretty fucking good. I don't even know why you would spend money on it. The two of us have gotten a ton out of the game without having to buy wishes for the gacha bullshit.

I reinforced one of my most divisive video game opinions yesterday - GameStop, under the right circumstances, is good. They was advertising a sale they run every once-in-awhile online, where if you're buying pre-owned games under $20 you can get 30% if you buy 3, 40% for 4, and 50% for five. So yeah. I drove around and took advantage. Only one of the stores I went to even knew the sale was running, but I guess if it's online they'll let you use it. I picked up...

Switch (played all these a little bit)
Slay The Spire - why did they make this game. I've done maybe ten runs and got as far as the third boss, and I can already tell that this is as evil a timesink as I've ever seen. This is gonna lay waste to my household's leisure hours.
Trine 1-4 - A miracle occurred. I bought this not realizing Trine 1-3 were only included as DLC. But when I entered the code... it actually worked. Despite being on the pre-owned shelf, despite the code being inside the case that was on display. I may never have this happen again
Umihara Kawase Fresh - Fell in love with this brutally difficult series a little over a year ago, but this version is kinda weird. It has hunger/cooking mechanics and some weird story stuff. I just want to suffer through fish-and-physics-based platforming, please.
Crystal Crisis - It would appear that this is a spiritual successor to Super Puzzle Fighter, except you can play as characters from Nicalis-published games (Astro Boy, Binding of Isaac, Cave Story, Umihara Kawase...). The girlfriend is the only person I know who played more Super Puzzle Fighter than me, so this one's for her. But I'm sure I'll sink some hours into it.
The End Is Nigh - Yeah, so this is just more Super Meat Boy. Although it kinda feels like Celeste, even though it came out first. I know I'm going to play the hell out of this, I'm a simple man when it comes to platformers and I jive with what Edmund McMillen puts out.

PS4 (haven't touched 'em)
Gravity Rush 2 - Really liked the first game. Almost loved it. I'm not sure if it's going to be the same without all the Vita doodads, but if they just give me more I'll be happy.
Dragon Quest Heroes II - The girlfriend liked DQ Builders 1&2, which she got me for Christmas per my insistence. I hated them and she hated DQVIII so maybe this is a place where we can meet in the middle. I hear it's got very good couch co-op and a bit more meat on its bones than your average musou game.
Pillars of Eternity - I don't play enough WRPGs. I beat New Vegas, I don't get Elder Scrolls, the length of The Witcher terrifies me... but this one seems pretty cool. I hear they did a good job of making the controls work without a mouse. It's kind of exciting to jump into a genre I know dick about. But I'm not as sure about...
Planescape: Torment / Icewind Dale - I don't think I've heard a game spoken with more reverence (by fewer people) than Planescape: Torment. Twenty years I've been avoiding spoilers for this thing. Ten of those years I thought it was called Planetscape. I might have bought a version that plays like total ass on a console. This was my risky pick.
Bloodstained (the regular one, not the really good NES-y one) - Would have loved to have picked this up on Switch, but since that version is allegedly ass I broke down and nabbed this. I still haven't started Order of Ecclesia so this will be on the backburner for a while. Also, this was a sealed copy being sold used. 

So yeah, I own all of these now. All with their original cases and art, all with their proper inserts (the Nicalis games have booklets and TEiN has this little squishy thing + stickers) and every one of them cost me $10 or less. GameStop has the sale running until this Saturday and I might do one more run. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So I think I am nearing the end to Last of Us Part II  and 

Reveal hidden contents

it pisses me off that I have to play as the person who kills Joel. It not only pisses me off but they rationalize it as if she is a good person. I am currently at the point where Abby and the transgender kid are going to the hospital for meds.   Also I am guessing Abby is trans too  since she has 24 inch pythons and when Owen was having sex with her she had the body of a guy. The video game graphics couldn't be that bad right?

If you feel like the game wants you to think Abby is a good person, you’re misreading it, possibly because you’re under the mistaken impression that Ellie is a good person.  The game definitley wants you to feel an equivalency between them, but it’s the exact opposite of that.

• Like 3

So I know this veers a tad bit political but AOC did a 3.5 hour Twitch stream playing Among Us and talking Universal Healthcare.  I don't know if I'll see the whole thing but between Biden having a staffer do Animal Crossing stuff and this I like what is being done.  https://m.twitch.tv/videos/776770697

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:25 AM, cwoy2j said:

Like a lot of people in the Covid times, I started breaking out my old systems from when I was a kid. Got my old NES, SNES and Sega Genesis going. And either I was a super genius as a kid or my reflexes are now on par with a coma patient and I've gotten progressively dumber as I've gotten older because it's a chore for me to beat games I used to fly through. I used to be able to pretty much just speed run through Life Force whenever I wanted but now I almost use every one of the 30 lives that the classic Konami Code gives you in that one.

Seriously, without the Konami Code I can't even make it through the first stage of Contra anymore.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Seriously, without the Konami Code I can't even make it through the first stage of Contra anymore.

Either I was an amazing gamer as a child or I'm terrible now, but nothing at all will humble you more than trying to play NES games.  I remember playing Ninja Gaiden as a kid and getting pretty far, I tried to play on an emulator and couldn't get past the first level without dying repeatedly.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm finding myself super engrossed in Space Station. It's the first WMS table Zen or Farsight have done that I'd never even heard of, and it's just a really solid late 80s table with less flash than a Pinbot but also less bullshit. It feels really good and I have been working the Survival Challenge all day.

I haven't tried that one yet.  I spent an hour playing Funhouse last night though.  

6 hours ago, EVA said:

If you feel like the game wants you to think Abby is a good person, you’re misreading it, possibly because you’re under the mistaken impression that Ellie is a good person.  The game definitley wants you to feel an equivalency between them, but it’s the exact opposite of that.

I'm at the part where they are going for the Chinese girl's brother/mom  and I get the equicalency. The aquarium for Abby, the  museum/zoo for Ellie,   It's an interesting dynamic. A very long game so far with many twists and turns but i can't see how it can end with anyone being happy.  Looking forward to beating this game and playing Ghots though. 

Spoiler