DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

7 hours ago, Casey said:

So I'm playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (and I still love these games more than I do Uncharted) - I thought this game was going to be an easy platinum, I was making my way through the trophies pretty well, even going back and getting 100% on every section of the map... then I scroll down the trophy list randomly and see there's like 10 that are exclusive to the multiplayer part of the game. Goddamnit. I'm really hoping Rise and Shadow don't have multiplayer trophies.

Other than that minor flaw, goddamn I love these games so much. I heard a rumor that Tomb Raider 4 will be out on the next gen consoles within the next year. Fingers crossed for that.

Except for a few, a lot of the multiplayer trophies can be done solo. Believe me, I should know since I did the game twice.

If you need help, let me know. I can dig out my copy.

• Thanks 1

Got my 187th Platinum trophy this morning with Mad Max prior to the server shutdown at the end of the month. Also, avoided the insignia 76/77 glitch and the infamous 190/191 scavenging locations.

A great game and a lot better than Just Cause 3 -- Avalanche made their best game ever and it sadly didn't sell a lot.

Got my Super Metroid time under 3 hours; now I feel like I can put that away. 

But, I had forgotten that I had both Metroid Prime & Metroid Prime: Echoes for GC in my very old game stash, so once my HD adapter comes in, I'll be visiting those.  I think I only played 10 minutes of Prime and hated the controls because your aim didn't stay up.  But now that I'm used to the L/R aiming from Super, I think it'll bug me a lot less as an FPS.

I also abused the shit out of the save state feature to beat both Super Mario Bros & SMB 3 for the first time ever.  My takeaway: fuck the entire Mario franchise and platformers in general.

No idea if they're still available, but Series X preorders are up on the Costco site. Their bundle includes an extra controller and is $549.99  I managed to grab one because I happened to be on Reddit literally when the post went up. We'll see if the preorder sticks...

I'm going to start doing writeups soon-ish, but wanted to comment...

Code:Veronica is kicking my ass HARD.  I used to speedrun this game back in the day and now I'm running it and I think I've died like 30 times, which is maddening because I just straight up blew through the rest of the Surivial Horror era games with 3 total deaths between the 7 games.  

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 8:54 PM, Andrew POE! said:

So for the trophy hunters here and those tracking me doing everything but GTA V on PS3 & PS4, Sony are changing the trophy system tonight:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

Basically, the numbers will be higher and Platinums will have a higher value.

My PSN Profiles rank is still listed as level 17 and 26%, but when I was playing DA:I earlier, it said I was level 300.

The controls are gimmicky around the wiimote, although some games it doesn't really matter.  

And some consoles have an issue with the video cards, and since their soldered into the motherboard, it basically bricks the system.  

Why no, I didn't have an issue where my video outputs died and my system is nothing, and Nintendo doesn't repair Wii's anymore...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I'm tempted to buy a used Wii these days. 

Anyone interested in talking me out of - or into - this decision?

For what it's worth, I think one is worth having even though Wii Shop is closed now. 

If Wii Shop were still open, I'd say absolutely, get one.

If you also want to play GameCube games, I'd say absolutely, get the model that has BC with GameCube. 

But even if you just want to play Wii games, there are enough worth playing that the sixty bucks you spend on the Wii is worth it. 

Well, I still have my Gamecube, so that's no big deal. But a Wii U just looks too expensive when all I'm really thinking of doing is playing Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. OTOH, I could end up spending that much anyway if a Wii bricks on me... and Twilight on GC is as much as a used Wii as well. If only they'd port things to Switch...

I don't love the Wii's controls ("gimmicky" is a good word to describe my feelings towards motion controls and a lot of games that would benefit from a standard control scheme - Donkey Kong Country Returns, for example - don't support the Classic Controller), but I rather like the catalog.  Wii seems to have more Nintendo IP's than some of its other consoles (3 great Mario platformers + a Paper Mario title, 2 new Kirby games, 2 Metroid shooters, a Donkey Kong reboot, 2 Zelda titles, etc.) plus a lot of underrated titles.  Most of the games I liked are platformers, admittedly, so your mileage may vary if you don't like the genre.  There were a couple action-adventures I really love and wish would get remade or remastered.  Twilight Princess is available on other consoles, of course, as it Xenoblade Chronicles.  But I really liked The Last Story and Pandora's Tower too.

I'd recommend a WII justf for it's best 30-50 titles.  But, again, it prob. depends how much you like platformers.  I don't think I'd buy a Wii just for the Zelda games.  I preferred Twilight Princess on the GameCube and Wii U and think Skyward Sword is probably the weakest of the 3D Zelda console games.

Even without the virtual console, the Wii is an easier recommendation for me.  

On 10/9/2020 at 12:33 AM, AxB said:

My PSN Profiles rank is still listed as level 17 and 26%, but when I was playing DA:I earlier, it said I was level 300.

OK, this is odd. I'm level 300 on the PS3, but on the PS4 it still says 17. 

On 10/7/2020 at 4:05 PM, Contentious C said:

I also abused the shit out of the save state feature to beat both Super Mario Bros & SMB 3 for the first time ever.  My takeaway: fuck the entire Mario franchise and platformers in general.

Wow, now I feel like a god for beating both in the early 90s regularly.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:33 PM, Raziel said:

I'm going to start doing writeups soon-ish, but wanted to comment...

Code:Veronica is kicking my ass HARD.  I used to speedrun this game back in the day and now I'm running it and I think I've died like 30 times, which is maddening because I just straight up blew through the rest of the Surivial Horror era games with 3 total deaths between the 7 games.  

Our reflexes turn to total shit when we get older. Imagine someone who was amazing at Pinball games or early arcade games going back and playing them now. For the most part, they'd start them on fire.