DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

For a Halloween theme for myself this year, I've decided to take a crack at playing through the entire Resident Evil series mainline games, original plus remakes.  So, that's 0, 1 Directors Cut (Chris game), REmake (Jill game), 2 (Claire A, Leon B), 2 REmake (Leon A, Claire B), 3, 3 REmake, Code: Veronica X, 4 + Separate Ways, Revelations, 5 + DLC, Revelations 2, 6 (Leon, Chris, Jake, Ada), and 7 + DLC's.  I'll probably drop "Years Later" reviews on them, as it's been awhile since I've played most of them. 

I've been thinking of something similar. I own 1+2 remakes and 5. I just beat 5 two years ago and I don't know if I want to go back to it. It's been even longer since I've beat 4, but I really enjoyed 4, so I might buy it and 3 if I'm still feeling it after the first two. It's been so long I can't even remember the stories. I think last time I played the first RE was when I beat it on Playstation in the 90's.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Anyone here playing 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim? Thinking about possibly picking it up and the reviews are good, so wondered if anyone had taken the plunge.

Got it and started playing it this weekend.  I like it so far, although the storyline starts out really confusing since it's told in a non-linear fashion and jumps around between different time periods.

• Like 1

Speaking of games that are only on PS3 and not 4, I just noticed that Jet Set Radio is in the PSN store. I wonder if that holds up? I loved it on the Dreamcast.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of games that are only on PS3 and not 4, I just noticed that Jet Set Radio is in the PSN store. I wonder if that holds up? I loved it on the Dreamcast.

I picked it up a while back and it seemed exactly as it was on Dreamcast, so I'd think if you liked it then you'll like it now!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Holds up for me.

The version on Xbox Live and the PSN (for Xbox 360 and PS3, not current gen consoles) is a remaster.  Looks pretty great.  They had to remix the soundtrack.  One or two songs are missing due to licensing issues, but they compensated by adding songs from the NA and EU Dreamcast releases, plus Jet Set Radio Future.

(When the game was released on Dreamcast, each region got a couple songs that weren't available in the other regions.)

• Thanks 1

It's been said repeatedly already, but Ghost of Tsushima is fucking great. Some of the games that have come out on this generation of consoles have completely blown my mind and this one is up there with the best. I am very excited to see what the next generation can do! 

• Like 1

And I beat Super Metroid!

Ridley was a real asshole; *getting* to Ridley was just as assholish.

The Mother Brain fight took a couple of tries, but once I stuck to just beaming her, it wasn't so bad - had to remind myself this is never a facetank game.

Oh, and I saved the animals, because what kind of prick doesn't do that?

• Like 1

Tried the playable demo of Jet Set Radio. It seems I'm not the man I was 20 years ago. Felt much less enjoyable... might still buy the full game though. But not until I'm finished with Dragon Age.

47 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

And I beat Super Metroid!

Ridley was a real asshole; *getting* to Ridley was just as assholish.

The Mother Brain fight took a couple of tries, but once I stuck to just beaming her, it wasn't so bad - had to remind myself this is never a facetank game.

Oh, and I saved the animals, because what kind of prick doesn't do that?

The ones that save the frames instead.

6 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Psssh.  If someone - OK, one person - can do a speedrun of Super Metroid Impossible and save the animals, you can save the damn animals.  They taught you how to wall jump!

That doesn't count, Oats is a masochist for speedrunning THAT hack.

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Among Us is such a blast.

It's one of those games that I don't know if I'll ever play it but I adore watching people play that wacky-ass game.  Now Fall Guys is one where I can watch countless videos and play the tar out of it.

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The funniest thing about it is "first guy to finish tasks" is almost always accused of being a killer and voted out because he's following people around.

Me most games, yup! 

Playing Metal Wolf Chaos for the first time in years.  Yeah, it seems a lot less ridiculous now than it did in 2004.  It probably seems a lot less ridiculous in 2020 than the designers intended.  

Not an outstanding game, but I recommend it highly.  Honestly, a remake with better voice acting and script would be less fun.  I remembered how bad the English voice acting is, but not how terrible the dialogue is.  A lot of the lines are cringe-inducing.

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover my Japanese Xbox (OG) still works.  Haven't booted it up since 2010 or 2012.

Holy crap, after years of wondering what garbage was floating around in my memory banks, I think I found quite possibly the stupidest game I ever played in my life.  Back when I first had a PC, I had some total POS 3.5" disk RPG that I tried playing, emphasis on tried, because it was awful, and calling it the drizzling shits was just rude to stinky, corn-flecked diarrhea everywhere.

But, behold!  Ancients 1: Death Watch! (Just the first 5-ish minutes of the video)

• Haha 1

The servers for Mad Max (yes, they have servers) are shutting down on October 31 and I've been playing like mad to get the Platinum. I got 3 trophies left but going to each scavenging location is an exercise in tediousness. It's like they asked, "Do you want collectibles?" "Yes, all of them."

So I'm playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (and I still love these games more than I do Uncharted) - I thought this game was going to be an easy platinum, I was making my way through the trophies pretty well, even going back and getting 100% on every section of the map... then I scroll down the trophy list randomly and see there's like 10 that are exclusive to the multiplayer part of the game. Goddamnit. I'm really hoping Rise and Shadow don't have multiplayer trophies.

Other than that minor flaw, goddamn I love these games so much. I heard a rumor that Tomb Raider 4 will be out on the next gen consoles within the next year. Fingers crossed for that.

No, Rise and Shadow didn't have multiplayer modes, and this no trophies.  well, Rise does technically have a co-op mode for Endurance, but those are separate from the main game and don't count against the Platinum.

• Thanks 1