DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

This news is kind of shitty for me since my computer sucks, and I have no interest in any X-box. Hopefully some things do stay multiplatform like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, & Starfield. I am rather curious though what this means for games like ESO & FO76 along with Bethesda's general schedule which likely meant a new Fallout wasn't happening until 2026-2027. Wonder if they load up Bethesda Game Studios so they can finish their games up quicker. New Vegas 2 was never a thing, but I can certainly see Obsidian getting a chance for another Fallout, maybe even an alternating schedule between them and Bethesda.

I am neutral on the news until we see the full impact, one possible positive is since Microsoft paid so much, maybe they will start making games at a slightly faster pace. I'm a big fan of the main Dishonored, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout games, not so much the MMO versions so its been awhile since I got a new game from them, haha. Not that I want all games to be sequels but if those three series would continue at a slightly faster clip I wouldn't complain.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Nate's larger point is...fine, I guess, but using Bethesda being bought by Microsoft is a hilariously dumb moment to make this point. Yes, the game company that has re-released Skyrim so many times they made their own joke about releasing Skyrim for Alexa is now going to have a less vibrant and monolithic creative culture. Like, come on dude. Pick your spots better. 

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I actually think you have it backwards, and this isn’t as dire as you fear.  I think all of the major properties will remain multi platform, while smaller stuff like Prey, Dishonored, and Evil Within will be exclusive.  The bigger games cost too much money to lock them away on XBox/PC and cut out the sizable PS playerbase.

Furthermore, pretty much all the industry buzz has been saying that Microsoft doesn’t really care about being in the exclusives business anymore, if they ever really did (outside of timed launch windows).  Gamepass is their top priority, and I assume this move is primary about bolstering that library and securing the right to host Bethesda games on Gamepass on Day 1.

Ugh, I was looking forward to Platinum'ing Evil Within 3, Prey 2, and Dishonored 3 too!

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nate's larger point is...fine, I guess, but using Bethesda being bought by Microsoft is a hilariously dumb moment to make this point. Yes, the game company that has re-released Skyrim so many times they made their own joke about releasing Skyrim for Alexa is now going to have a less vibrant and monolithic creative culture. Like, come on dude. Pick your spots better. 

Would you prefer Bethesda get into developing mobile gacha, start inserting large numbers of micro transactions, or just re-releasing shit? Because as long as gamers stand on their line in the sand that because AAA games cost $60 twenty years ago they must cost $60 for evermore, one of these three things is going to happen. Or in Bethesda's case, two since they have a mobile Elder Scrolls. And two games with monthly sub options. Literally all this shit exists solely to finance two projects right now.

• Like 1

We'll still have a vibrant, creative indie scene that releases a number of great games each year.

And some of those studios will get acquired, and more will rise to take their place.

I am really surprised that no one's bought Supergiant yet. They put out a critically-beloved game every three years like clockwork.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Would you prefer Bethesda get into developing mobile gacha, start inserting large numbers of micro transactions, or just re-releasing shit? Because as long as gamers stand on their line in the sand that because AAA games cost $60 twenty years ago they must cost $60 for evermore, one of these three things is going to happen. Or in Bethesda's case, two since they have a mobile Elder Scrolls. And two games with monthly sub options. Literally all this shit exists solely to finance two projects right now.

Presumably they won’t be $60 much longer, once the new consoles get here.

And now we're going to get $70 USD AAA games that still are loaded with MTX!

Hooray!

While I normally envy Canadians, in this case, I do not. $90 CAD for new games is basically some horseshit. I guess at least with Nintendo games, if they went up to that price new, they hold enough value that you could re-sell and get a good chunk of it back. 

• Like 1

Bethesda already makes mobile games with in app purchases and ESO uses microtransactions as their subscription fee.

They can re-release Skyrim however much they want. It does make me wonder just how much of that development time could have been put into newer projects if they didn't have teams working on putting Skyrim out for every system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Would you prefer Bethesda get into developing mobile gacha, start inserting large numbers of micro transactions, or just re-releasing shit?

I'd prefer Bethesda not be purchased by a company who's slowly becoming one of President Orange's patsies.

But it may not matter very much if future ZeniMax games are released on the PlayStation or other devices, such as Nintendo Co.’s Switch. What’s far more important to Microsoft is having all the best games on Xbox Game Pass. While the company hasn’t yet come close to Netflix’s subscriber haul, Xbox Game Pass is looking far more valuable after the acquisition.

“This is all about Game Pass,” said Matthew Kanterman, an analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. “Microsoft wants Game Pass to be the one-stop-shop for gamers, regardless which hardware platform you’re on. This acquisition gives them a much bigger catalog of marquee titles and future new releases to bring into the service to drive more customer adoption. The deal can likely pay for itself quite quickly just by signing up more Game Pass subscribers.”

I understand their line of thinking and it makes sense, but GamePass Ultimate is just so expensive, more than most other streaming services in general. I still have it from back when they did the Game Pass + Gold extension for only $1 per month but I think mine expires in May. I am not sure if I want to re-up it for $15 a month, even though I do use it. Even my PS NOW I only have it because I signed up when it was $42 for the year but I don't think Microsoft does deals as often with Ultimate. I'm not sure it will hit the numbers they are talking at $15 a month but we'll see, I've been wrong before. I just think it has a cap for subscriber numbers as it has to be gamers with money, higher speed internet (I think Microsoft recommends 10Mbps), and unlimited data with their ISP.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I understand their line of thinking and it makes sense, but GamePass Ultimate is just so expensive, more than most other streaming services in general. I still have it from back when they did the Game Pass + Gold extension for only $1 per month but I think mine expires in May. I am not sure if I want to re-up it for $15 a month, even though I do use it. Even my PS NOW I only have it because I signed up when it was $42 for the year but I don't think Microsoft does deals as often with Ultimate. I'm not sure it will hit the numbers they are talking at $15 a month but we'll see, I've been wrong before. I just think it has a cap for subscriber numbers as it has to be gamers with money, higher speed internet (I think Microsoft recommends 10Mbps), and unlimited data with their ISP.

If you play three new AAA games on gamepass a year, it pays for itself.  If prices go up to $70 per game, but you get every Xbox exclusive for free, it's more than worth the price.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

If you play three new AAA games on gamepass a year, it pays for itself.  If prices go up to $70 per game, but you get every Xbox exclusive for free, it's more than worth the price.  

That's a valid point for really serious gamers that play a lot of new titles and I think the service definitely has a market, but the last new game I played on it was Outer Worlds back in December, so its paying $15 a month for the 'between months' that may be hard to stomach. I would have paid $135 just for back catalog so far this year which is little more than I'd want to pay. Or just buying it for one month to play a game, cancelling, buy a month later, cancelling, which is a bit of a chore. 

Plus I already have it so I wouldn't help with their numbers anyway, I think there are probably a decent number like me that are still on the service from the $1 a month deal. I'd be curious to know how many subscribers they have paying the full $15 a month price and how many of the $1 a monthers they retain once their deal ends.

Like I said I could be wrong, it may be able to expand like they think/hope it will. I just know people IRL that suddenly realized how much they pay for monthly services and are looking to cut back, not add another $15 a month, it all adds up. They will keep (and add more) hardcore gamers for sure but I think with this deal they are eyeing the "average" gamer and it may be a tougher group to get to commit.

Outer Worlds is fully automated luxury gay space communism and I love it. Sometime soon I'll get back into my current save (that's right before the final mission) and get the rest of the trophies (besides Hard & Supernova difficulty trophies). But man, what I wonderful little game that I didn't have to sink my entire life into just to complete the story (lookin' at you Skyrim/Fallout).

I'm kind of curious how the game turns out if you do a bootlicker playthrough... but I've already moved onto the 1st (Crystal Dynamics) Tomb Raider and actually committing to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I've only got a month of disability left so I gotta make it worthwhile.

• Like 1

Finished Super Mario Galaxy last night.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Probably will go back and play it on the Wii at some point.

I'm kinda amused that I thought it was a brilliant game and it still might be my least favorite 3D Mario title.  Well, home console 3D game, anyway.  I'd put Super Mario Land below it, but i don't like handheld consoles.  Galaxy is brilliant and more ambitious than Super Mario 3D World but 3D World is still an outstanding game and I enjoyed it more.

If i was a reviewer, I'd probably say Galaxy is better than Sunshine by a smallish margin, but Sunshine is a personal favorite of mine.

Kinda meh about the 3D All-Stars collection as a whole.  It's fine, but Nintendo could have done more with both games and bonuses.  And I generally don't like remasters.   I also kinda hate to reward Nintendo creating an artificial scarcity- especially with the digital edition.  I'm ok with a timed retail release for collectors, but the games should be made available at least digitally to everyone.  I'm hoping Nintendo re-releases the games separately to the eShop, but that would be sort of disingenuous and not really fair to people who thought they had to rush out and grab a copy by March 2021.

The games themselves are easy to recommend, though I'd still suggest Sunshine be played on the GameCube.  No good way to replicate the FLUDD pressure control on the Switch. 

Edited by Eoae

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

Kinda meh about the 3D All-Stars collection as a whole.  It's fine, but Nintendo could have done more with both games and bonuses.  And I generally don't like remasters.   I also kinda hate to reward Nintendo creating an artificial scarcity- especially with the digital edition.  I'm ok with a timed retail release for collectors, but the games should be made available at least digitally to everyone.  I'm hoping Nintendo re-releases the games separately to the eShop, but that would be sort of disingenuous and not really fair to people who thought they had to rush out and grab a copy by March 2021.

From what I read, Nintendo started putting 3D All-Stars collection together at the beginning of this year, then the shit hit the fan. The European division of Nintendo were the ones who created a new emulator for the package (many conject that they will use this for N64 games for Nintendo online and such).

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Wait until someone does that for the Among Us guys.

Funny you mention Among Us, since the sequel just got cancelled and all features they were going to introduce in that game are now being added to the current game.

“All of the content we had planned for Among Us 2 will instead go into Among Us 1,” according to InnerSloth. The developer also spelled out other improvements players can look forward to, including promised fixes for server issues, colorblind support, a friends system, and a whole new stage.

Not something I would play, but I enjoy watching the Funhaus team play it.

• Like 1