DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Now playing Erica on PS4. For a minute I thought the graphics were really good, but then I clicked in it was an FMV game that was just filmed with cameras. You just interact with it by sliding your finger about on the touchpad every now and then (but it wants you to use your smartphone instead). Seems really annoying but I think it's supposed to be a horror game and I'm just up to the creepy hints in the opening.

Also I got up to Level 40 on Fall Guys. Still haven't won an episode.

You got to level 40? Wow. I can only play 5-6 rounds before I get frustrated and turn it off.

Glad to know I'm not the only person that got confused with the video in Erica. I feel like it's a B-level suspense movie that you have choices in. I've played it a couple times and had a friend of mine play it to see what their choices are compared to mine. I probably wouldn't buy games like this, but if they're free downloads, why not?

Finished the Onimusha remaster today (easier and shorter than I remember) and I'm starting Zone of the Enders 2 today, I've purchased this game 3 times in my life and I don't regret it.

• Like 1

I’m on like turn 280 of the Civ game I’m in the midst of. Playing as the US because the tutorial I was watching said it was a good “starter” culture.  I’m starting to grok the cause and effect of some stuff. Other stuff, not at all. I’m a turn away from launching a satellite, though.

My military is substantially larger than anyone other than Cleopatra. Quite awhile ago, Victoria declared a surprise war on me. I salted the earth on her empire.

All of this to say that I’m still not 100% sure I even like this game, but trying to learn it has been a good distraction the last few days. 

THQ Nordic stuff is on sale on Steam, and while I don't have the money for the new Amalur remake yet, I did pick up the original Sacred game for $1.99. Looking forward to hours of mindless hack and slash and loot, looking for that insta-kill helmet.

The Okumura palace boss fight in Persona 5 Royal is the single most unfair, cheap, and poorly designed boss fight of all time.  Here is the gist of the problem with this boss fight.  If playing on easy, normal, or hard, the fight is pretty much impossible, because you don't do enough damage to get through the escalating rounds of basic enemies that will just keep respawning if you don't kill all four of them before one of them runs away.  The main boss, who we'll get to in a second, buffs these enemies and debuffs your party throughout the fight, so inevitably one or more enemies will survive your attacks and run away.  Oh, another issue is that the boss can order one of these enemies to self destruct, and if it does it can kill your entire party.  If you happen to survive, it doesn't count as you killing this enemy so you have to start this round over.  So, you have to up the difficulty to merciless...yes, in order to make the fight easier, you have to up the difficulty to the highest level just to get through the preliminary waves of basic enemies.  Then you get to the main boss, who has no weaknesses, and can one hit kill your entire party even while defending...remember the difficulty is on merciless.  If you get through this fight, you fight another boss who barely does any damage and then this boss is ordered to self destruct.  At this point, one of your party members says, "let's hurry up and kill this thing before it self destructs," but this is utterly impossible.  You literally cannot kill this thing before it self destructs, but the game specifically tells you to try.  If you try this, the self destruct will kill your entire party, so defend.  After this, you fight another boss, who is the person you came to fight in the first damn place, and you can kill him with one hit.  You have to understand that there is nothing in the game that tells you to up the difficulty...honestly, I didn't you could change the difficulty mid-game.  Second, this is the only fight in the game to this point where targeting an opponent's weakness doesn't allow you to use an all-out attack, which would solve the issue with the respawning waves of enemies.  On top of all of this frustration, this fight is also on a timer, so if you happen to survive all of this nonsense, but don't kill the waves of enemies, the giant "main" boss, the bosses helper, and then the person you were supposed to fight in the first place within 30 minutes, you lose any damn way.  

24 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Super Mario Galaxy review:

Oh God oh man this is so good.  I am torn between sheer joy and feeling slightly bitter that it took 13 years to be able to play it.  I REALLY hope we get some version of Galaxy 2 ported, because when I beat this I will absolutely want more.

I absolutely hate the Wii control scheme for the Galaxy games (Wiimote in one hand, nunchuk in the other.  No support for the classic controller).  So I'm kinda thrilled that being able to play Galaxy with better controls.  Been playing it this weekend.  

I prefer Super Mario Sunshine on the GameCube.  No good way to emulate the pressure triggers from the original control scheme.

Omitting SMG2 still feels odd.   I've heard rumors that the company didn't really want to do a sequel to to Galaxy but Miyamoto wanted a sequel and used his clout to get 2 greenlit, so maybe that's it?  Dunno.  

Hades is damned good. 

Miyamoto thought the original SMG was too dark, so he wanted to do a lighter-and-fluffier sequel, or so goes the story.

SMG is gorgeous. Game is alright, too, but some of those stars are hard in a frustrating, "this was designed like shit" way. Not enough hard-but-fair-and-fun stars like Luigi's Purple Coins (which is amazing, best star in the game).

Edited by Smelly McUgly

40 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I absolutely hate the Wii control scheme for the Galaxy games (Wiimote in one hand, nunchuk in the other.  No support for the classic controller).  So I'm kinda thrilled that being able to play Galaxy with better controls.  Been playing it this weekend.  

I prefer Super Mario Sunshine on the GameCube.  No good way to emulate the pressure triggers from the original control scheme.

Omitting SMG2 still feels odd.   I've heard rumors that the company didn't really want to do a sequel to to Galaxy but Miyamoto wanted a sequel and used his clout to get 2 greenlit, so maybe that's it?  Dunno.  

The bad news is that Galaxy plays better with a split Joycon, using the negative one to move the pointer while still using the buttons to jump and spin and the positive joycon to move. The good news is that this is less annoying than turning the Pro pad like a steering wheel to aim your crosshairs.  So this might not work for you, but it works for me.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The bad news is that Galaxy plays better with a split Joycon, using the negative one to move the pointer while still using the buttons to jump and spin and the positive joycon to move. The good news is that this is less annoying than turning the Pro pad like a steering wheel to aim your crosshairs.  So this might not work for you, but it works for me.

Definitely less annoying for me.  I don't quite love the controls, but they don't detract from my enjoyment of the game.  Galaxy and Galaxy 2 were day one purchases for me, but I've never played much of either.  I bounced off SMG fairly quickly because of the controls and never went back.  And, since I didn't finish the first game, I never tried to play the sequel.  It's a fair bet I'll get through Galaxy this week and maybe play through Galaxy 2 before year's end.

I dunno,

Bethesda's usual issues combined with Microsoft's software history?  Will the content injection actually be Playable before 3 patches?

I'm not getting either at launch, but Xbox's sheer size is setting off all kinds of alarm bells for me.

• Haha 1

Let it be said: Fuck Microsoft. They moneyhatted Bethesda because they can't create an original game so they buy a company that can. Elder Scrolls VI, the next Fallout, and Starfield will likely be Series X/S exclusive. The Evil Within 3 and Wolfenstein 3 too but Microsoft will let those be on PS5 out of spite.

It's not like Bethesda ever made a game that actually worked on a PlayStation console without crashing so it's fine I guess.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Betheda news because it's hopefully another sign that Microsoft is serious about getting its first-party support on par with Sony and Nintendo.  I've been wanting to like Microsoft more than I do since the original Xbox debut.  I've been a fan of the Xbox hardware since the first console and Microsoft's argugbly been the most forward-thinking company of the big three over the past 15 years.  But the games haven't been there.  I'm a big fan of the 360 and think the 360's first-party/exclusive library is surprisingly good, but it didn't really compare to the PS3's first-party exclusives.  

First-party support for the Xbox One pretty much fell off a cliff.  I doubt things will change much this generation, but hopefully Microsoft can close the gap to a respectable degree.

I was in a games store a few days ago and a couple people were discussing games of the year (2020).   Someone asked what contenders the Xbox had and Ori and the Will of the Wisps was mentioned, followed by an awkward silence.  Lol, that sums it up, I guess.  I'm assuming November and December will bring some goty candidates to Xbox (Cyberpunk maybe?), but most of the games I've really liked this year haven't been on Microsoft platforms.  TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, FF VII Remake, Animal Crossing.   Off the top of my head, I've bought one Xbox One game this year (Ori).  I'm probably forgetting something, but still, the number is less than four.   

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Let it be said: Fuck Microsoft. They moneyhatted Bethesda because they can't create an original game so they buy a company that can. Elder Scrolls VI, the next Fallout, and Starfield will likely be Series X/S exclusive. The Evil Within 3 and Wolfenstein 3 too but Microsoft will let those be on PS5 out of spite.

It's not like Bethesda ever made a game that actually worked on a PlayStation console without crashing so it's fine I guess.

I actually think you have it backwards, and this isn’t as dire as you fear.  I think all of the major properties will remain multi platform, while smaller stuff like Prey, Dishonored, and Evil Within will be exclusive.  The bigger games cost too much money to lock them away on XBox/PC and cut out the sizable PS playerbase.

Furthermore, pretty much all the industry buzz has been saying that Microsoft doesn’t really care about being in the exclusives business anymore, if they ever really did (outside of timed launch windows).  Gamepass is their top priority, and I assume this move is primary about bolstering that library and securing the right to host Bethesda games on Gamepass on Day 1.

• Like 1

I thought I might splurge and get Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (I never played it) as my birthday is rolling around soon and I don't usually get anything, but it seems wildly unfair to my family to play an entire jrpg and bogart the Switch and my own attention for that long. I think it'd just make the kids (and probably my wife) miserable. 

We're almost through Luigi's Mansion 3 (we being me and the 8 year old) and I'd probably be better off getting another co op game instead just for everyone's sanity during the pandemic. You can play Mario Odyssey co-op right? 

That said, Tales of Vesperia is on sale for $15 and I haven't played a Tales game since... Destiny II maybe? Symphonia maybe? PS2 I think. I could rationalize getting that and maybe just play it really slowly.