DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

19 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Is there a need to be so condescending? Trophies have been talked about on here plenty. Some people like to get them, maybe let people have that?

I was kind of kidding, I have no problems with anyone getting the trophies, it was just a jape.

Finished Ghost of Tsushima. What a great game from start to finish.

Curious as to which ending everyone that beat it went with.

Spoiler

I opted to let Shimura live, because man, he can live with the shit he pulled on me for the rest of forever. All I did was try to help the people and he shit on me.

I cleared out all the places that still had Mongols left. . .think I had 6 or something like that. Now it's just a matter of going around to all the question marks that popped up on the map once I cleared out the last Mongol stronghold.

I have never spent any time on a Civ game. I didn’t grow up a PC gamer and, frankly, 4x games seem overwhelming. Since I’m not in the middle of anything else, though, I was looking through my backlog of free games. I’d forgotten that EGS gave away Civ VI. Decided to give it a shot. Holy shit.

Overwhelming is an understatement. I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent most of the time, but I am very lost, even in the tutorial. Now watching a bunch of YouTube vids to try and wrap my head around things. I wouldn’t say that I’m having fun yet, but I am intrigued by what I’ve seen so far. 

With Crusader Kings III available on Game Pass, I have to ask...would that be an “easier” game to get into? I want to give the genre an honest shot

• Like 2

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Civ 2 helped kill my last semester of grad school. More addicting than crack. ?

For me, it was Mario Bros. (the original game set in the sewers, not Super).  I went to a small Catholic high school where my mother taught, so when I graduated and went away to college, I suffered a bad case of freedom overload, and drank, partied, and gamed my way through the first semester.  Since I rarely went to class, I spent my days in the student union and played an insane amount of Mario Bros in the arcade.  Got really good at Mario Bros. and enjoyed myself overall, but my gpa was 0.8 at semester's end.  Mind you, I was on scholarship, in the honors program, and planning on going to law school after undergrad, so being put on academic probation was a disaster.

It was probably for the best.  I pulled my act together the day after grade reports came out, and the school had an academic forgiveness policy that allowed freshmen to retake a class and have the first grade entirely drop off the transcript.  I retook most of my first semester classes and kept a 3.9 GPA the rest of the way through college.

3 1/2 years later, an interviewer did wonder why my official transcript indicated I only took 2 classes (one was phys ed) during the first semester of my freshman year.  ?

Edited by Eoae
corrected a few typos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shane said:

With Crusader Kings III available on Game Pass, I have to ask...would that be an “easier” game to get into? I want to give the genre an honest shot

Learning Civ VI is like learning tic tac toe in comparison to Crusader Kings III's 3D turbo chess of the 54th dimension.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Learning Civ VI is like learning tic tac toe in comparison to Crusader Kings III's 3D turbo chess of the 54th dimension.

That game is clearly not for me, then! Messing around some more in Civ today and I feel a little less lost. Slightly. Maybe. I've mostly been following the suggestion of the game as to what I should build, but that often sees me completely unprepared for any sort of military action. I just need to figure out a better balance and maybe I'll be on to something.

Ok, it's been a while since I've written any game reviews and I cant find my last post on them so I'm gonna dump a whole bunch of game opinions here that may or may not be out of date. I'll try to keep them to ten words each.

• DOTA Underlords: Duo mode is very fun. No one plays it though. [3]
  • The Last Of Us Part 2: Or, The Have And Eat Cake Of Us Part 2. [1]
  • Hades: First day of 1.0- Made it to Hades. Still rules. [4]
  • Fall Guys: The Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas Line about the Third Reich. [1]
  • Wrestling Revolution on phones: Despite the reputation, it plays way better than I expected. [3]
  • DOOM Eternal: A game about manmade munition famine and gloating over it. [2]
  • Dan Ku Ga: Prototype of sequel to obscure Taito fighting game. Balance =/= Fun. [4]
  • Crystalis: Early on, but for now, my fun bedtime adventure game. [3]
  • Golf On Mars: Desert Golfing, but now with mechanics. Cute. Less fun, though. [2]
  • Golf With Your Friends: It can horrify, infuriate, and tell jokes. [Every Number Simultaneously]
  • Armed Police Batrider: Nightmare shootemup with team mechanics. Might become a shmup idiot. [4]
  • Old World: Early Access. Half Civ, half Crusader Kings. Wonderful and Promising. [4]
  • Blaseball: The commissioner is doing a great job. Go Yellowstone Magic! [4]
  • The Beginner's Guide: Very powerful. Your emotional response will vary. Mine was anger. [4]

Honestly I've been really down on this year which has bummed me out. I don't want to hate stuff but I cant lie about liking stuff. There's been very little I've enjoyed. This is fixing to be a big Back Catalog Winter for me, aside from Yakuza Like A Dragon and my social Destiny obligations (*LOUD DEFEATED SIGH*).

There's currently 3 games of the year as I see it: If an episodic game that started in 2013 counts, it's Kentucky Route Zero in a walk. If that doesn't, but games that started in Early Access and hit full console release this year count, it's Hades in a similar walk. If neither counts, it's Streets of Rage 4, which has always been a better series than Final Fight*. So there.

*Metro City Mayor Mike Haggar is a better character design than anything in Streets of Rage though, so it does have that advantage.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 1

Rayman creator Michel Ancel announced on social media that he has quit the video game industry to run/work in a wildlife sanctuary full-time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-18-rayman-creator-michel-ancel-quits-video-games-industry-to-work-on-wildlife-sanctuary

He also said his last two games (Wild and Beyond Good and Evil 2) are far enough along that the teams can finish without him. 

22 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Rayman creator Michel Ancel announced on social media that he has quit the video game industry to run/work in a wildlife sanctuary full-time.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-18-rayman-creator-michel-ancel-quits-video-games-industry-to-work-on-wildlife-sanctuary

He also said his last two games (Wild and Beyond Good and Evil 2) are far enough along that the teams can finish without him. 

That sounds awesome and good for him but I am sad this means no more Rayman games.

A possible note for the Trophy/Achievement hunters

Disintegration is already shutting down its multi-player servers. The game came out in June and the servers will be shut down in Nov (the in game store is already closed)

A quick glance shows more than one Trophy/Achievement tied to multiplayer so FYI

Yeah, Hades rules.  "What if Diablo was Dead Cells" is smack-dab in the center of my interests.

Still banging my head against Spelunky 2.  Still haven't made it past the 2nd biome.  Still loving it.

Super Mario 64 is still a good game, but it's probably the Mario where I have to get used to the controls (and camera) the longest more than any other game after I go a long time without playing it.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

A possible note for the Trophy/Achievement hunters

Disintegration is already shutting down its multi-player servers. The game came out in June and the servers will be shut down in Nov (the in game store is already closed)

A quick glance shows more than one Trophy/Achievement tied to multiplayer so FYI

The developers have said that they will patch the trophy/achievement list after the servers shut down.

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That sounds awesome and good for him but I am sad this means no more Rayman games.

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

I'm probably going to hook up my Saturn and play some original Rayman this weekend.  

I saw The Outer Worlds was 50% off on PS4 if you're a PS+ member, so I went ahead and grabbed it. I haven't played it since it first came out, when I still had an Xbox One. Mannnn, I forgot how good and fun this game is. Just shooting the fucking pistol feels satisfying. I love these types of RPGs, and it amazes me that somehow they sucked the life out of Fallout after New Vegas came out (yes, a flawed game, but still really fun).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The DLC, Peril on Gorgon, is also excellent and worth playing if you haven't already. 

I haven’t, not yet anyway. Does it matter if I haven’t completed the main story yet or is it one of those DLCs where it can just fit in wherever?