DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I definitely think this new gen is going to be more about experience, gameplay, and feeling than obviously improved graphics and other bells & whistles - and that sounds great to me. Agreed that it feels like a new generation seems unnecessary when we got shit like GOT and TLOU2. 

• Like 1

While Tsushima and newer current gen AAA games do look tremendous, I look at Ratchet & Clank ps5 gameplay and it does look like a similar jump from ps3 -> ps4, which wasn't the huge leap previous generations were either. But yeah, focus seems to be on load times and capabilities of having a lot more going on in the screen rather than pure graphics. I'd love to see that work in a wrestling game but...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

While Tsushima and newer current gen AAA games do look tremendous, I look at Ratchet & Clank ps5 gameplay and it does look like a similar jump from ps3 -> ps4, which wasn't the huge leap previous generations were either. But yeah, focus seems to be on load times and capabilities of having a lot more going on in the screen rather than pure graphics. I'd love to see that work in a wrestling game but...

Knowing WWE and their unwillingness in having their games look better, WWE 2K22 will still look like a PS2/PS3 game.

• Like 1

Finished Foul Play. It was a cutesy story. Was tempted to try and Platinum it( @Andrew POE! could probably hammer it out in a week if you haven't already), but decided to just move on. It's certainly worth a download if you want to repeatedly beat the shit out of bad guys and blow off some steam.

Looking through other PS+ freebies I never played and I think I might grab another simple one. It's hard to remember them all and which ones are good.

I might go back to Tales of Berseria which I quit a while back. I was having fun but got caught up in something else, and I'd like to just finish what I start.

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Finished Foul Play. It was a cutesy story. Was tempted to try and Platinum it( @Andrew POE! could probably hammer it out in a week if you haven't already), but decided to just move on. It's certainly worth a download if you want to repeatedly beat the shit out of bad guys and blow off some steam.

Looking through other PS+ freebies I never played and I think I might grab another simple one. It's hard to remember them all and which ones are good.

I might go back to Tales of Berseria which I quit a while back. I was having fun but got caught up in something else, and I'd like to just finish what I start.

The Platinum for Foul Play is actually quite difficult due to the lone online trophy not allowing for connections to other players online. I tested it with someone and the trophy didn't unlock for them even though we were in the same region.

I've never played any of the Dontnod games, but Tell Me Why has caught my eye (so did the Life is Strange games, but I just haven't gotten to them). One question about them, though, before I start, possibly with a tandem playthrough with my wife: Are there any sort of fail states, or will the game just react to whatever dumbass decisions I might make and let me continue? Been a long, long time since I did any sort of adventure-ish game. Like...NES Shadowgate long. That was more point and click obviously, but you could and would die at the drop of a hat in the game. I don't know that I care either way, but it would likely frustrate my wife if she gets hooked into the story.

Edit: To clarify a bit, I guess by "fail states," I mean a straight up game over. If bad shit is going to happen because of whatever choices the player makes, that a completely different thing to me.

Edited by Shane

In none of the three Life is Strange games is there ever a Game Over screen. You can get your character beaten up, you can fail to save the lives of other people, but you don't die.

If you're going to do the LiS games, play the first one before you play Before the Storm. BtS is a prequel, but the references from the one to the other only really work if you played them in release order.

• Thanks 1

I played Before the Storm before I played Life Is Strange and I thought that worked out better. Of course, I did play them literally one after the other, so the prequel was still fresh in my mind when I started the original, so...

Well the final epilogue scene of BtS would make no sense whatsoever if you didn't know what was happening. Because most people played 1 first, they went into BtS knowing what happens 

Spoiler

to Rachel. So going into BtS with a 'Max and Chloe 4 Ever' mindset, most people didn't want to get too attached to Rachel. Whereas doing BtS first, and going from Rachel being the number 2 character to being a face on a Missing poster (and eventually a skeleton), that's probably pretty jarring. 

Let me guess, you never played the Bonus level from Before the Storm, did you? Because that would make no sense at all if you didn't know who Max was yet. 

Damned current gent. Real asshole.

Going from Ghost of Tsushima to AC Origins was a mistake. The combat system is not good. Striking feels too much like Witcher and that was my only major gripe with that game. The world is pretty fucking great in Origins at least. 

Edited by Jiji

Played through Chapter One of Tell Me Why. I quickly realized that I’ve slept on this developer and genre for way too long. Wasn’t expecting the emotional gut punch(es). Probably should have been. The wife is fully on board as well. 

Playing Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, I find it to be the worst game Ubisoft has ever done. The duel mechanics are not explained and you have no fucking clue how you fail and get killed in a duel repeatedly. Hey Ubisoft, like Dusty Rhodes would say, don't do shit you don't know how to do.

I may beat the game and forget going for the Platinum due to this. I may also snap the disc in half.

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Well the final epilogue scene of BtS would make no sense whatsoever if you didn't know what was happening. Because most people played 1 first, they went into BtS knowing what happens 

Hide contents

to Rachel. So going into BtS with a 'Max and Chloe 4 Ever' mindset, most people didn't want to get too attached to Rachel. Whereas doing BtS first, and going from Rachel being the number 2 character to being a face on a Missing poster (and eventually a skeleton), that's probably pretty jarring. 

Let me guess, you never played the Bonus level from Before the Storm, did you? Because that would make no sense at all if you didn't know who Max was yet. 

I didn't lose anything by playing Before the Storm first. It got me attached to Chloe and Rachel, and the epilogue scene sets up the first game, which then made me want to play that one even more to find out what the hell is going on.

If you want to get real technical, I think you should play the Bonus level first, then Before the Storm, then Life is Strange 1. Obviously you disagree, and that's fine, but I think it made Life Is Strange 1 hit WAY harder than just playing the games in release order.

21 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Playing Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, I find it to be the worst game Ubisoft has ever done. The duel mechanics are not explained and you have no fucking clue how you fail and get killed in a duel repeatedly. Hey Ubisoft, like Dusty Rhodes would say, don't do shit you don't know how to do.

I may beat the game and forget going for the Platinum due to this. I may also snap the disc in half.

What if that's the final challenge to get the Platinum? They know when you break it somehow.

Edited by Ryan

22 hours ago, Ryan said:

What if that's the final challenge to get the Platinum? They know when you break it somehow.

LOL, that's usually the case. I just got 5 trophies left before I Platinum it (stupid collectibles trophy and Medium/Hard/Very Hard difficulties and play all missions as Thomas).

Unfortunately, I got to put that on hold since it was announced that the servers for Mad Max are shutting down on October 30, 2020. There is ONE online trophy for it in "Up To The Task" trophy. Apparently, there's two online challenges tied to it that are required.

Oh and the save file will need to be backed up constantly since one of the scrap locations is known to glitch and glitches are known to occur.

58 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Unfortunately, I got to put that on hold since it was announced that the servers for Mad Max are shutting down on October 30, 2020. There is ONE online trophy for it in "Up To The Task" trophy. Apparently, there's two online challenges tied to it that are required.

Ugh. This was a "get to it eventually since it was $5" game but yeah, maybe not after all. Fucking haaaaaaaaate online trophies - and therefore the Plat - being made unobtainable due to server shutdowns. Just dumb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Ugh. This was a "get to it eventually since it was $5" game but yeah, maybe not after all. Fucking haaaaaaaaate online trophies - and therefore the Plat - being made unobtainable due to server shutdowns. Just dumb. 

I agree -- I got screwed out of Transformers: Fall of Cybertron for PS4 Platinum since there was an online trophy in the single player campaign. The guy who wrote the guide got flak over it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Spelunky 2 is fucking brutal. My average life has been maybe 90 seconds.

My biggest problem (besides those fucking moles) is that it feels like the new art style makes it harder for me to pick out enemies against the backgrounds.  I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's really annoying right now.