DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I'm starting to wonder if we are reaching a peak period in gaming, a lot of the shit that's coming out is absolutely amazing and it's hard to imagine how it's going to ever be topped. I'm sure they will think of something, but it's nice to have that feeling of wonder again that most of us had as kids, being blown away by 16-bit or 32-bit systems and thinking it would never get much better. 

At the same time my feelings might just be a reflection of me getting fully back into video games as an adult, since I had my children as an excuse to buy consoles. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

Last thing - I'm curious as to what everyone chose for their ending.

I've caught a couple interviews/podcasts with Nate Fox, Sucker Punch's creative director, and he says that

Spoiler

letting Lord Shimura live is the canon ending.  Fox also said he chose to kill Lord Shimura, because that's what he personally thinks Jin would choose to do.

I killed him.  I felt like Jin would want his uncle to die an honorable death, partly so Shimura wouldn't have to live in shame in the rest of his life, and partly so Shimura would die believing Jin had held onto some small scrap of his honor (which might not be true). 

Also, am I the only person who felt like the most wrenching death in the game was

Spoiler

your horse.  I was not prepared for that.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm starting to wonder if we are reaching a peak period in gaming, a lot of the shit that's coming out is absolutely amazing and it's hard to imagine how it's going to ever be topped. I'm sure they will think of something, but it's nice to have that feeling of wonder again that most of us had as kids, being blown away by 16-bit or 32-bit systems and thinking it would never get much better. 

At the same time my feelings might just be a reflection of me getting fully back into video games as an adult, since I had my children as an excuse to buy consoles. 

They can do a lot with branching story choices and freedom, I feel like. As much as I adore GoT, it doesn't give you a tonne of options of how things played out. Some games give you the illusion of choice, some give you lots of actual choices but aren't played out dramatically and don't have a tonne of repercussions. So that kind of narrative flexibility is something I feel like can definitely improve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Last thing - I'm curious as to what everyone chose for their ending.

Reveal hidden contents

I killed Lord Shimura, since he's still family, I like to think a little bit of honor is still left in Jin (even though it might die with Shimura), and the guy asked for it as well.

Although, watching the ending where you let him live... man, that's fucking badass.

Spoiler

I did the same. Didn't even look at what the other outcome was. I just made the decision as I felt Jin would have. It felt "right" to me as well.

The last thing I needed for Platinum was one of the side missions, A Debt Paid. It's not one you get directed to and I somehow never stumbled across it, even though I went through that area a million times during the course of the game. Or so I thought, anyway...

Spoiler

I left Shimura alive because to me, that was the point at which Jin went all the way with his break from tradition. The game led him away from the samurai code through all of these events so that by the time Shimura asks Jin to end his life, I think that's the last push Jin would need to fully divest himself of the code. 

I personally also liked that choice myself because I personally like the idea of Shimura living in shame until the Shogun kills him for his failure to stop in anyway. I am not a Lord Shimura fan.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They can do a lot with branching story choices and freedom, I feel like. As much as I adore GoT, it doesn't give you a tonne of options of how things played out. Some games give you the illusion of choice, some give you lots of actual choices but aren't played out dramatically and don't have a tonne of repercussions. So that kind of narrative flexibility is something I feel like can definitely improve. 

This is where I'm hoping things go, deeper and richer stories with more freedom to determine a unique ending to that specific playthrough. One thing that I worry about is just getting bigger worlds that take all the more time to traverse, and there are places where that can be done well - say, a theoretical GTA with multiple cities that you can travel to via airport - but overall I would rather have something replayable that will give me new experiences in familiar areas. One thing that keeps me from replaying something like Yakuza 0 is that nothing changes in the main storyline and it's dozens and dozens of hours sunk to just reach the same conclusion and get a few more trophies. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

Am I the only one that's fine with a nice single player game that is just a set narrative that you're experiencing? As much as I like branching story choices and stuff, sometimes it's nice to just sit for like 15 hours or whatever and just experience a straightforward story. I don't know that GoT would have been better if you could have different outcomes for these stories.

• Like 2

I like that too, for sure, something like Horizon Zero Dawn, hell I can even be okay with the very limited branching of something like Red Dead Redemption 2 because it was such a long game. However, I do like the idea of something that is in a world that's hard to resist revisiting that rewards you for going back, preferably with a bit of a shorter story than 20 to 60 hours. 

However, I don't think something like 100% trophies or achievements should be tied to that, that's artificially creating a need to go back and replay over and over. 

I mean I replay Grim Fandango at least every couple years just to have that experience and there's no variety there at all. It's just a great fucking story and world. 

Edited by christopher.annino

3 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

However, I don't think something like 100% trophies or achievements should be tied to that, that's artificially creating a need to go back and replay over and over. 

Sort of related - I'm upset that, while technically I did platinum Spider-Man, it doesn't show up on my signature thing because I haven't (yet) completed New Game Plus. I'm making my way through it, or was rather, but completing the NG+ is literally the only trophy I'm missing for that game.

• Like 1

That sucks, Casey. I platted it before they added the NGP update, so I have the plat even though I never went back and beat it on NGP.

I think I did the same thing with Horizon: Zero Dawn, actually. 

It's weird, because it shows on my PS4 I have the platinum/100%, but the thing in my signature doesn't count it as a 100% because the NG+ is a separate category like the main game and the DLC.

All things considered, though, I've only gotten 100% on four games out of like damn near 60. That's really bad ?

Revisiting Darkest Dungeon I've come around on The Colour of Madness DLC. Did it add a ton? No, but it's also a pretty cheap DLC and I think I was too harsh on it at first. For the price point having some new bosses and enemies to play around with is fair. Adding a new wandering boss breaks up seeing The Collector 20 times a run. The new music in the Farmstead is also great. I criticized Crimson Court a lot for basically trying to reinvent the wheel, and Colour of Madness makes no effort to do that. Just simple effective action.

Also I'm nearing 300 hours in Darkest Dungeon. It's very good. It still has the capacity to both thrill me and tilt me (it's done both, today).

It is annoying when added DLC has its own trophy list and then takes what was a 100% completed game down to potentially far less than that. The worst offender for me is Minecraft, I have the platinum in that but there are so many DLCs that I'll never fully complete. 

I'm not entirely sure what the talk is though about signatures and completion rate percentages, you can see that on your friends list? I'm assuming while actually on your console? I've never really looked at any of that, I don't think...

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

It is annoying when added DLC has its own trophy list and then takes what was a 100% completed game down to potentially far less than that. The worst offender for me is Minecraft, I have the platinum in that but there are so many DLCs that I'll never fully complete. 

I'm not entirely sure what the talk is though about signatures and completion rate percentages, you can see that on your friends list? I'm assuming while actually on your console? I've never really looked at any of that, I don't think...

No, the thing that's in my signature. @AxBhas one too, a few others as well. It's linked to your Playstation account and does stats from there, tracks all your trophies, etc.

• Like 1

Still pushing through Ghost of Tsushima myself. Still in Act 2, but I did all of the Ishikawa/Masako/Norio stories and the other side quests and am now to the point where the only three things remaining in my journal are the three "main story" parts.

Gotten the Gosaku armor and done all the duels with the Straw Hats, including the one in the cave with the guy whose name escapes me right now that gives you another new set of armor.

Was not prepared for Masako to try to fucking kill me (and she succeeded a couple of times. . .that duel is hard).

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

Took a day off Celeste ( and got lured back into that sweet temptress that is Slay The Spire. Knocked Ascension 14-17 off the list for The Defect. First time I ever bought prismatic shard and made for a really neat build, with cards like Feed and Cloak and Dagger on Defect. Think I'll do that again sometime because I'm sure that build would have won A20/killed the heart. )

Anyway, fired back up Celeste to knock off the B-sides. Holy man - averaged around 400 deaths for each from chapters 2 - 5. Missed the B-side on Chapter 6 my first time through, so will go and get that BUT did beat the b-side on chapter 7. 860-something deaths on that level alone. Honestly felt like one of my biggest gaming accomplishments in awhile that an old man (well, 38 so old by video game terms) got through it. Take that ya young whippersnappers!

After GoT and with new consoles coming, I continue to dip into my backlog. First it was Control. With that done, it’s on to Horizon: Zero Dawn. After a few hours, I think I like it. Not sure if it’ll sink its hooks into me the way the last few games I’ve played have, though. 

I need to stop bouncing from console to console, though. There’s always fuckery because of the different button mapping Nintendo does, but even the different, uh...heft of the Xbox and PS4 controllers can screw with me at times.