DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Ah, so what I should do is buy a WiiU, get a Pro Controller, make all my purchases on VC immediately, and then relax.

I'm surprised that they haven't shut down WiiU VC yet, tbh. 

Yeah.  There's still 800+ games on it.  I really only use it for the emulated first-party stuff, but there's a lot of that that never got ported to Switch.  Nintendo ported a lot of their Gameboy and DS games to the Wii U VC so there's some interesting first-party titles available that a lot of console gamers never played: Super Mario 64 DS, the Super Mario Advance series, the handheld Zelda titles, etc.  

There are also emulated versions of a number of good SNES and N64 titles that haven't made it to the Switch.  DK64 and DK Country 2 and 3, both N64 Zelda titles, Mario 64, Yoshi's Story, Earthbound (not sure if that's available on Switch or not), Sin and Punishment, etc.

BTW, I looked it up.  You originally did have to navigate system menus with the Gamepad then switch to the Pro Controller once the game started.  Pro controller support for the menus was added with one of the later system updates.

7 hours ago, Eoae said:

Lol, as someone who still has a Wii U hooked up and mostly loves the console (Wii library + Wii U library is fantastic), I mostly agree.  I like my Switch a great deal, but I bought it for Nintendo’s first-party exclusives and so far they’ve largely been content to produce remasters and not-all-that different sequels.  I don’t buy remasters all they often, so I’d much prefer that they spend their resources developing new games.  I am just a tiny bit bitter Nintendo has ported most of the good first-party Wii U titles to Switch.  

couldn't agree more. as a fellow Wii-U owner, i love the library especially when you look at Wii + U + VC. 

i've never had a problem with the gamepad, i actually use it way more often than my pro controller.

• Like 1

Downloaded Fall Guys the other week and we're both getting into it bigly. I'm so happy because it's a game we both enjoy, either playing it ourselves or cheerleading for each other. 

Got up to the end of episode 3 of Life is Strange 2. It was a bit of a slow burner through the first two episodes, but the game really picked up in ep3. It's gone from being nowhere near as good as the first game (and it's prequel), to maybe being better.

Did the first hour or so of Ghost Of Tsushima and yeah, this feels so good... Only hard part is going from one third person action game (TLoU2) right to another and having to adjust to controls. Like every time I wanna pick something up I'm trying not to press triangle, and dodging when not using L1 is odd. 

• Like 4

I've decided to take a break from Avengers for a few days and finish up Ghost of Tsushima. All of this time off work, I might as well try to complete ONE game anyway. I've got a co-worker begging me to play with him and his wife on FFXIV Online, too. It's not really my cup of tea, but I like both of them so I'll do it for a few hours probably.

Shit, I still haven't started Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and I'm dying to start up the Tomb Raider trilogy again too (fucking love those games).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Did the first hour or so of Ghost Of Tsushima and yeah, this feels so good... Only hard part is going from one third person action game (TLoU2) right to another and having to adjust to controls. Like every time I wanna pick something up I'm trying not to press triangle, and dodging when not using L1 is odd. 

I just started playing Ghost a few days ago and am loving the first few hours. The combat is smooth and the landscape is beautiful. I got my first couple of platinum trophies this year, might make this my third.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm definitely going all the way with Ghost, platinum hunting for sure. Will probably do the same with TLoU2, since it's not a grind and there's no multiplayer. Good thing I have a 7-day/6-night work trip to CO and back, ample hotel time for gaming.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 8:44 PM, christopher.annino said:

Finally finished The Last Of Us 2 and while I know the first is generally unpopular here, I have to say this is significantly better than the first game. The gameplay still greatly lacks behind the story, but all in all it's a far better experience despite the general overhype/"best game ever" hullabaloo. 

I can't remember if I mentioned it but I think the last chapter probably could have been omitted and it would have been a great story. I didn't feel like I learned anything new in that last chunk that hadn't already been explored effectively in the previous chapters.

And when I finished I kinda wanted to immediately play it again, so I could do so without all the hype and criticisms. Now that I know what it is I wanted to play it again and see if I could enjoy it even more because I think that might be the case.

Anyway. I stopped playing Fall Guys.My son wins all the time. In 90 minute  session he'll walk away with 2-4 wins. He's terrible.

I did go through all the free shit I've gotten from PS+ over the last few years. I ended up playing FOUL PLAY which is a fun beat 'em up. The premise is pretty neat. You play an actor doing a show where you recount your harrowing adventures. So you're beating up bad guys(played by actors) on a stage. The aesthetic is really fun and there's some funny jokes. I was having trouble and realized I was playing on the hardest mode. I'll finish it soon and probably not try do all the challenges and trophies.

I also fucked around and beat Sonic The Hedgehog 2 in front of my kids to show them how it's done. Old man still got it.

Just kind of messing around on little games I have lying around not sure what big gaming experience I want to commit to.

I was a massive Tony Hawk player, and I can see my life getting ruined if I break down and buy it.

• Like 1

I was great at THPS back in the day and I suck at it now. Just awful. But I'm having fun with it.

And Casey (the non-Troma one) mentioned FF7-R. Get ready for that to eat up around 40 hours. I think that's about how long it took me, but that was also with some fumbling around in the early going. By the end, my complaints about it being too hard were gone because I was just steam rolling everything. I don't think I took any damage from fighting the last summon to unlock. I just geared up properly with my materia and destroyed it pretty quickly. Fighting the house was probably the hardest fight I had until my wife's friend told me to use poison materia on the house. Her advice worked because that made the house fight really easy.

• Like 1

Oh I'm probably not going to start it for awhile. I just finished the main story in Ghost of Tsushima, now I'm just clearing up anything I have left and hunting for that 100%. Then my time is going to be split between Avengers and the first Tomb Raider (and occasionally Final Fantasy XIV Online).

Legit though, the ending to GoT made me tear up. That hasn't happened to me since Life Is Strange.

• Like 1

I know I’m a year late, but I rolled credits on Control today and it’s a hell of a game. The ashtray maze is one of the best sequences I’ve ever played. 

Anyone here play the DLC? Worth the $25 for the season pass, or wait for a sale?

• Like 1

Control is definitely a game that I'm hoping either gets super discounted one day or ends up as a PS plus game, I just don't have any way to otherwise justify adding another title to the pile o' shame. 

@jaedmc I hear you about the last chapter in TLoU2, really stopping there would have been the perfect drop off point waiting until number three comes out but hey whatever. 

I'm with @Craig H. I'm struggling to gold in these competitions, and that's not how it was fifteen years ago. 

I'm using the D-Pad because that feels better, but man, I feel like I'm dialing up 900s and only getting Christ Airs. 

• Like 1

Re Control - there is a Control Ultimate Edition

"Control Ultimate Edition will include the base game, The Foundation expansion, the upcoming AWE (Altered World Event) expansion, The Expeditions end game mode, photo mode and all additional post-launch content that has been delivered with past updates."

It is(???) coming out Friday to the Epic store and PS4 and XBOX stores (it might already be on Steam). It will only be available digitally right now - the developers said they won't be able to due a physical version until next year due to the challenges of working from home.

The is the one that there is a little controversy around since the only version of Control that is upgradable for free to the next gen systems is the Ultimate Edition one

Again - it doesnt help if you are trying to get on the super cheap but I wanted to mention it (especially if you think you will go next gen sooner rather than later)

• Like 1

4 hours later and I got the Platinum trophy for Ghost of Tsushima. I had to look up some of the hidden trophies, which is kind of lame. I was getting frustrated trying to find the last hot spring that I was missing so I could get that trophy, and it was the one that you had to talk to an old lady about it Hiyoshi Springs. Finding the unmarked graves to honor was a pain too, but photo guides help. All in all - that was a really fun experience. Game of the year? Maybe. For me, it'll be hard to beat. I imagine Cyberpunk 2077 will come close, or beat it in my mind. We'll see, I suppose. It's astonishing that this game went from something that was hardly on my radar and that I pre-ordered a week before it came out, to becoming one of my favorite games on the PS4 that I've played.

Fuck the multiplayer stuff that's coming out, I want to do missions as Yuna, Ishikawa, Lady Masako or Norio (because that's a badass weapon).

Last thing - I'm curious as to what everyone chose for their ending.

Spoiler

I killed Lord Shimura, since he's still family, I like to think a little bit of honor is still left in Jin (even though it might die with Shimura), and the guy asked for it as well.

Although, watching the ending where you let him live... man, that's fucking badass.

• Like 2

I chose the one you did not and was weeping like a baby. It ruled.

That hot spring was sneaky for sure. It was the last thing I had to do other than kick a fool off a ledge.

You also forgot Yuriko missions where you are really nice to people and reminisce over the dead. $25 DLC no problem.

• Thanks 1