DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Oh, dude, you left out so much good shit

SUPER MARIO 35. Holy shit. Like Tetris 99, but somehow even more insane. Fuck yeah.

Also, 3-31-2021 expiration date on all of these things is some ultra dumb as fuck Nintendo bullshit.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

I'm trying to think of when their model of scarcity even started. I seem to remember it with the Nintendo 64 and Goldeneye. For awhile you couldn't find Goldeneye anywhere. I remember it being sold out around Thanksgiving time and Christmas time and I finally got it around February or something.

ok, Mario 35 sold me. i'm going to have to sign up for the online service. 

the Mario Kart thing seemed pretty neat, although not something i would play. 

@Cliff Hanger they did show Galaxy being played with two joy cons. i didn't see them pointing at the screen, but presumably there still could be some sort of motion control going on. Hope you're able to enjoy that great game one way or the other.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, twiztor said:

ok, Mario 35 sold me. i'm going to have to sign up for the online service. 

the Mario Kart thing seemed pretty neat, although not something i would play. 

@Cliff Hanger they did show Galaxy being played with two joy cons. i didn't see them pointing at the screen, but presumably there still could be some sort of motion control going on. Hope you're able to enjoy that great game one way or the other.

I can do motion control with JoyCons fine.  The problem with Wii and Wii U motion control was that since I have optic nerve damage I pretty much sit 2.5-3 feet from a TV no matter how big or small it is to read text. So it was literally impossible for me to simultaneously be close enough to see the screen and far enough back for the Wiimote camera to pick up the sensor bar.

Edited by Cliff Hanger
  • Like 1

90 min into Tony Hawk: I 90 percent love it, but am having trouble finding certain targets like the bells in the school stage because everything used to be higher contrast.

And The Mall has closed and that makes me feel old and sad in a way that the 50 year old player characters don't.

Yeah, Fuck Nintendo for their artificial scarcity. They could leave Super Mario 3D All-Stars available forever if they want to. And they are really doing something bone headed by pulling that with Super Mario 35. Tetris 99 took off like a bandit and I think Super Mario 35 will too.

• Like 1

Finally decided to play Celeste and finished the main campaign in two days. Only collected one crystal, so was not able to do the core level but did get all except one of the B-side tapes I think. Knocked off one of the B-sides post-game(chapter 2) and my brain needs a break. 7 hours over the past two days and it's Celeste so that's a pretty intense 7 hours of gaming. Right up there with Hollow Knight as my favourite of the recent platformers. Both are really hard, but Celeste is a bit more forgiving in that you respawn so quickly. I doubt that I'll 100% it, but will dive into more the B-sides tomorrow.

Edited by Setsuna
  • Like 1

Tony Hawk *feels* right. That's literally all I needed. The nice graphical trimmings are just icing on the cake. The graphics have thrown me off in some levels, though, because while the geometry is the same, it doesn't look familiar. I also had a really good combo going in the first skate park and bailed after getting distracted by a big video screen showing live footage of what you're doing. Don't remember that being there in the original!

I will be spending a good amount of time with this over the next few months. Not a game I'll binge through, because the THPS series has a way of inducing red hot rage in me in a way that no other game ever has. I've learned to just sit it down and move on to other stuff. Sometimes that means I play for hours. Sometimes it means I get 15 minutes. Depends on the day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lab Zero Games is probably defunct.  They laid off the last of their staff.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/indivisible_and_skullgirls_studio_lab_zero_lays_off_remaining_workforce

A bit sorry to see then go.  I liked Skullgirls and Indivisible quite a bit.  Apparently, the head of the studio is (allegedly) some sort of scumbag.  Most of the staff quit last month after making various abuse and harassment allegations against him.  It also sounds like things came to a head when the time came to transfer partial ownership of the company to employees as previously planned.

IIRC, the studio head is/was a competitive Street Fighter player.  Hard to believe one of those guys would be awful to work for, lol.

Edited by Eoae
  • Sad 1

The layouts are the same in THPS, but it's not just the new graphical upgrades and inclusions of different artistic flourishes that is confusing. Your starting point is slightly different in the levels, too. I'm all turned around based on my memories of those games from the originals and how I used to efficiently get around the levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Tony Hawk *feels* right. That's literally all I needed. The nice graphical trimmings are just icing on the cake. The graphics have thrown me off in some levels, though, because while the geometry is the same, it doesn't look familiar. I also had a really good combo going in the first skate park and bailed after getting distracted by a big video screen showing live footage of what you're doing. Don't remember that being there in the original!

In the original it was like 5 second loops of whatever band was playing on the soundtrack. In the THUG games' arcade modes and THPSHD it was just a black screen.

My only two problems:

1) I am finding it hard to spot environmental rollovers like bells and picnic tables. I wish they glowed like pickups

2) the decision to do a shared career mode was insane.  I should be able to switch to Rune or Bucky or whoever and start over completely if I get frustrated trying to beat Downhill Jam with Tony, and hit the goals and stat points all over again.

So I was playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered. Completed it, and decided to trophy hunt a bit, so I started playing on Veteran Difficulty (ie Very Hard/ Max diff). I've made it through almost all of the game, but then I get to this mission called Loose Ends. You have to assault a house, clear it out, then defend it while some files are downloading, and then escape and run away to an escape helicopter. So I took the house and emptied it, got all the files, and then I switched to a new gun with plenty of ammo to escape, and died. Reload the checkpoint and I book it out of the house and down the hill, and get to the next checkpoint... but I forgot to change weapon. And now I'm facing probably the hardest part of the hardest mission in the whole game (you get assaulted from the front AND the back simultaneously), with fifteen bullets left in my Assault Rifle, and just a pistol as my alternate weapon. So I die and I die and I die some more. And on the rare occasions where I actually manage to survive long enough to actually advance down the hill and approach the Heli, I get blown up by mortars. It's fucking infuriating.

The best part is, having already done it on normal, I know what happens when you get to the helicopters anyway. The guy who you give the intel to shoots you, pours gasoline all over you and burns you alive. I can't progress through the game because I keep getting killed on my way to get killed.

So I started playing Life is Strange 2 instead. Right before you start playing it asks you Did you play Life is Strange 1? Which ending did you choose? Which made me think it might tie into the first game after all.

Spoiler

I told it that Arcadia Bay was destroyed. At one point we arrive at a dead town, and when we leave it's revealed that the sign we were standing next to was a memorial to everyone who died in the killer storm of Arcadia Bay. Presumably that's the end of the crossover, but I've only done episode one.

Finally finished The Last Of Us 2 and while I know the first is generally unpopular here, I have to say this is significantly better than the first game. The gameplay still greatly lacks behind the story, but all in all it's a far better experience despite the general overhype/"best game ever" hullabaloo. 

Edited by christopher.annino

@AxB That's not the end of the "crossover". It's nothing major, lasts maybe 5-10 minutes. No clue when it happens, though, since I haven't and won't play LiS2, since I only care about Max & Chloe.

If you did indeed play the first game, it'll be a little satisfying. If not, it won't really hit like it's intended to.

EDIT 14 HOURS LATER: PS Store has first Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics) game on sale for $2.99 so I jumped at that and grabbed it, since I love the reboot series. Now I just have to wait for Shadow to go on sale, and I'll have the trilogy.

Edited by Casey

https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-continues-to-be-a-slap-in-the-face-to-all-wii-u-owners

Lol, as someone who still has a Wii U hooked up and mostly loves the console (Wii library + Wii U library is fantastic), I mostly agree.  I like my Switch a great deal, but I bought it for Nintendo’s first-party exclusives and so far they’ve largely been content to produce remasters and not-all-that different sequels.  I don’t buy remasters all they often, so I’d much prefer that they spend their resources developing new games.  I am just a tiny bit bitter Nintendo has ported most of the good first-party Wii U titles to Switch.  

Honestly, my big complaint with this generation of games is too many remasters and sequels from big studios and publishers.  Not enough creativity and risk-takjing.   For me, anyway, this gen has been mostly about the indies:

• Like 1

Finally finished The Witcher 3 and both of the expansions. That was great. Apparently my total play time was 200+ hours. Yikes. I'll start a new game plus later this year since my character was pretty OP by the end since I went the alchemy/combat route.

Linked up with one of my cousins randomly online and we actually survived Warzone! Wasn't expected at all but very nice.

I bought the Onimush remaster since it was on sale so I might play that next or ZoE 2 since those are shorter games and I could use a break after playing the massive Witcher 3.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eoae said:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-continues-to-be-a-slap-in-the-face-to-all-wii-u-owners

Lol, as someone who still has a Wii U hooked up and mostly loves the console (Wii library + Wii U library is fantastic), I mostly agree.  I like my Switch a great deal, but I bought it for Nintendo’s first-party exclusives and so far they’ve largely been content to produce remasters and not-all-that different sequels.  I don’t buy remasters all they often, so I’d much prefer that they spend their resources developing new games.  I am just a tiny bit bitter Nintendo has ported most of the good first-party Wii U titles to Switch.  

Honestly, my big complaint with this generation of games is too many remasters and sequels from big studios and publishers.  Not enough creativity and risk-takjing.   For me, anyway, this gen has been mostly about the indies:

I mean, Nintendo has a bunch of games that no one played because the WiiU only sold 13M units worldwide. They're a company that probably should buy more dev teams, but they're conservative about acquisitions, so they can only make so many totally new experiences at one time. They have all these games that they know will make money on Switch, some of them to massive degrees (MK8D). Why wouldn't they port all that stuff over? No one has played it. To paraphrase NBC's ads for summer reruns from two decades ago, if I haven't seen it, it's new to me.

Besides, Nintendo has released Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Paper Mario: TOK, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Yoshi's Crafted World, etc., along with true sequels (even if they're not different enough for some of y'all WiiU owners) like SMM2, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. 

They're working on stuff like BotW 2 and MP4 right now. They can only do so much and there is demand for all these WiiU games that most people didn't play. It's not Nintendo's problem that a bunch of dupes bought a mediocre console with a shitty tablet controller eight years ago and played every last one of the eighteen games that got released for it. 

EDIT: I forgot that you were a WiiU owner, so now I feel bad about calling you a "dupe" indirectly. But know that even if you're a WiiU-buying dupe, @Eoae, I want to say that I personally enjoy your posts and I hope that you bought and enjoyed all eighteen games that were released for the WiiU. ? ?

Edited by Smelly McUgly

27 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I mean, Nintendo has a bunch of games that no one played because the WiiU only sold 13M units worldwide. They're a company that probably should buy more dev teams, but they're conservative about acquisitions, so they can only make so many totally new experiences at one time. They have all these games that they know will make money on Switch, some of them to massive degrees (MK8D). Why wouldn't they port all that stuff over? No one has played it. To paraphrase NBC's ads for summer reruns from two decades ago, if I haven't seen it, it's new to me.

I guess I forgot to mention my completely far-fetched fantasy where Nintendo doesn' t port Wii U originals to the Switch and the console makes a comeback in the late 2010's.  ?  Seriously, it's hard to be a proud Wii U owner when Nintendo has ported the most of the few system sellers to the Switch.  Not that they were actually system sellers, of course, 'cause.... well, 13 million.

I even bought an external hard drive for the Wii U.  I mean, I shouldn't have had to since the PS3 and Xbox 360 were putting out consoles with 10 times the storage space of the Wii U (32 mb doesn't go very far).

In all seriousness, it makes perfect economic sense for Nintendo to remaster Wii U games.  Just not my thing.  I still kinda dig the Wii U despite its (many glaring) flaws.

51 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Finally finished The Witcher 3 and both of the expansions. That was great. Apparently my total play time was 200+ hours. Yikes. I'll start a new game plus later this year since my character was pretty OP by the end since I went the alchemy/combat route.

I spent around 140 hrs. on Witcher 3 + dlc which is really surprising to me since I never go out of my way to get trophies and I rarely make it a priority to spend a lot of time on side quests and such.   Witcher 3 isn't even my favorite Witcher game (2 is).

Currently playing Puppeteer on the PS3.  Like it quite a bit.  SIE Japan has done a lot of great stuff over the years. 

I was waiting for the WiiU to come off $329 USD or whatever it was for the longest time to get one, and it never did. Then, I missed any clearances that might have happened around the time the Switch was announced. I just never got one.

I am reticent to buy one now because even though I can get one used for $120 USD or so, I would only want it for VC, and I know that the gamepad, once it dies, will be hard to replace because Nintendo never sold them standalone in the U.S. I'm pretty sure you need a working one to start up the console, so I'm sort of off buying one at this point.

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I was waiting for the WiiU to come off $329 USD or whatever it was for the longest time to get one, and it never did. Then, I missed any clearances that might have happened around the time the Switch was announced. I just never got one.

I am reticent to buy one now because even though I can get one used for $120 USD or so, I would only want it for VC, and I know that the gamepad, once it dies, will be hard to replace because Nintendo never sold them standalone in the U.S. I'm pretty sure you need a working one to start up the console, so I'm sort of off buying one at this point.

You don't need a Gamepad to start the console.  You can turn navigate the menus with the Pro Controller.  It took me a while to realize that. I got the idea that you had to use the Gamepad at startup and apparently never actually tried the Pro Controller.  

The main issue with using a Wii U without the Gamepad is the store.  You can use the Pro Controller to navigate the store, but you have to switch to the Gamepad to check out.  Basically, you can put items in your cart without the Gamepad, but you won't be able to complete the purchase.

There's also the matter of most games not supporting the Pro Controller but, if you're only interested in the Virtual Console, that's not a huge issue.  Most VC games support the Pro Controller.  Only VC game that I've dug the Gamepad out for lately is Super Mario 64 DS (Super Mario 64 is playable with Pro Controller).

You can find Gamepads on eBay without too much trouble, but they're pricey.  I'd expect to pay $100-$150.  I actually wouldn't mind replacing my Gamepad since it seems to not hold a charge well between play sessions, but I have the limited edition Zelda console and Gamepad, so replacing the Gamepad will be really expensive.  I probably won't replace it unless functionality becomes an issue.  

• Thanks 1