DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

My wife has gotten further than me. I think she has all 4 characters up to Ascension 10 or so. I think my highest is A5 for Watcher. I mostly just play custom runs and the daily, though. Also got into some of the mods on PC

With few exceptions, I think I’ve played StS nearly every day since, like...last November. Pretty sure I have 100+ hours on Xbox, PC and close to it on Switch as well. Even when I’m in the midst of a miserable run (which isn’t uncommon!), I still enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I did'n't know until this morning that Game Dev Tycoon was a thing.  Without knowing anything about it, I'm picturing a mashup of Segagaga and those Youtube videos where people try to kill their Sims by removing ladders after the Sim gets into the pool or crowding three ovens into a kitchen with a lot of drapes.

I'm already disappointed.  The real game can't possibly live up to that.

44 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Has anyone been playing Wasteland 3?  I'm loving it so far, except that is plays like shit on my launch Xbox, but it's free on Game Pass.  

I haven't tried it but everything I've read suggests it's buggy as hell and plays like shit on most everything.  I'll probably give it a look since it's on Game Pass even though I bounced off 2 pretty hard.

7 hours ago, Shane said:

My wife has gotten further than me. I think she has all 4 characters up to Ascension 10 or so. I think my highest is A5 for Watcher. I mostly just play custom runs and the daily, though. Also got into some of the mods on PC

With few exceptions, I think I’ve played StS nearly every day since, like...last November. Pretty sure I have 100+ hours on Xbox, PC and close to it on Switch as well. Even when I’m in the midst of a miserable run (which isn’t uncommon!), I still enjoy the game.

I put about 450 hours into it and literally about 430 of them were before it was "officially released" out of early access. It was the best thing I played in 2018 and it wasn't even close.

Game Dev Tycoon is a pretty good, but relatively simple game which is really about spreadsheet management and doesn't actually contain much actual game dev'ing. But it is a perfectly fine example of that kind of game.

Also I saw a total Crusader Kings noob play CK3 on stream yesterday and I have to say, I'm very impressed how they've cleaned up the new player experience. It's still an absurdly complex game but it does a much better job of introducing, you know, anything, than CK2 did. If they can actually keep more players from bouncing off it in that first few hours that game could be a monster.

• Like 1

Game Dev Tycoon has a really good anti-piracy thing built in. You can play it so far, but then suddenly your games start getting pirated and your firm goes bust due to loss of income.

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I put about 450 hours into it and literally about 430 of them were before it was "officially released" out of early access. It was the best thing I played in 2018 and it wasn't even close.

I said I'd put it down, but something just makes me keep coming back to it. INTENDED to start a different game last night, decided to have just one Defect run ( A13), two hours later realised I had used up all of my gaming time on Slay again...

Didn't make it past floor 2. Had an awesome build at one point but a couple bad hallway fights/card draws and that was all she wrote.

I still occasionally listen to the Luftrausers soundtrack. Liked the game, but the music is phenomenal. 

Nuclear Throne was fine, but it never clicked the way some roguelikes do for me. I think Ridiculous Fishing was my favorite game they did. Spent a lot of time with that one. 

Nice that they’re seemingly going out on their terms and as friends. Rami is a good Twitter follow. Looking forward to see what they individually get up to next. 

3 hours ago, Control said:

I just signed up for PS NOW. Any games on there you’d recommend? I’m open to anything, maybe not sports.

If you haven't played them, here are some titles that I'd consider worth a look:

Dead Cells
Hitman 2
Watch Dogs 2
Saint's Row 2-4
RE7
Dishonored 1 & 2
Fallout: New Vegas
X-Com 1 & 2
Prey
MGS V
Pillars of Eternity
Red Dead Redemption/RDR: Undead Nightmare

• Thanks 1

I tried playing Fallout: New Vegas a couple months ago via PSNow and the text boxes and menus wouldn't show text. IDK if it was just me or something, but that was my experience.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:39 PM, Death From Above said:

I think it was ascension 14 that I got hung up on with the Silent and just could not get past no matter what I tried.

I think with Silent the only real winnable build is a scaling poison build. I feel like Ironclad you can go strength scaling through demon form, artifact/flex, the sword card/limit break. Or you can do high-hp deck through Feed/Reaper, or an exhaust deck with Feel No Pain / Corruption ( quick aside, the first time I stumbled across corruption/dead branch, wow. That is a game breaker). The Defect can do an offensive/defensive/mixed orb build, or a claw build. But with Silent, I feel you're very limited as far as making a winning deck.

Always pick up catalyst or corpse explosion, because with either of those cards the run becomes winnable, but without either you're pretty much doomed. Like, I can see how a shiv build might work, but you'd need crazy good defense and card draw as well as some complimenting relics to win on a higher ascension level.

My A20 win had 2X upgraded catalyst and upgraded corpse explosion with runic pyramid. Once I hit that second catalyst, I knew the run became very winnable.

Once I first started hitting a wall, I watched some of jorbs (sp?) videos on youtube and it really gave me better insight into the game. I pretty much never checked my draw pile before then to think ahead, nor did I have the best Floor 1 strat. You've really got to go for it on Floor 1 because surviving is not enough, you've got to have a decently upgraded set of cards and some relics otherwise you're pretty much doomed at the start of Act 2. Avoiding resting at campfires so you can upgrade cards is essential and you've got to be comfortable going into boss fights with 30 hp.

Nintendo Direct did a Mario 35th Anniversary today.  Basically, putting the old Mario All-Stars on the e-shop, and dropping 3D All-Stars (Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) on the Switch on the 18th.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Nintendo Direct did a Mario 35th Anniversary today.  Basically, putting the old Mario All-Stars on the e-shop, and dropping 3D All-Stars (Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy) on the Switch on the 18th.  

Which is odd because all of original all stars is available through the Switch online consoles if I'm not missing a game. 

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Which is odd because all of original all stars is available through the Switch online consoles if I'm not missing a game. 

Well watching it further, it's going "free" on the shop for Online subscribers.

I say that, because its' Nintendo... all the cool shit they put out today is "limited run" and all going away March 31st 2021.  Except for 3D All Stars, which you won't be able to buy anymore physically OR digitally after March.

Fucking Ninentdo.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Well watching it further, it's going "free" on the shop for Online subscribers.

I say that, because its' Nintendo... all the cool shit they put out today is "limited run" and all going away March 31st 2021.  Except for 3D All Stars, which you won't be able to buy anymore physically OR digitally after March.

Fucking Ninentdo.

I guess that means if you buy it before 3/31 you keep it. That's confusing.

It does, but they came right out and said the Physical copies are getting limited printing (thus sending all scalpers directly to ye olde preorders), and the DIGITAL version is limited.  You can buy up to 3/31, then they're pulling it.

I'm not seeing the logic in that, but, hey, if Nintendo does anything well anymore it's inflating demand for their product by making sure no one can ever play it.

For a second I thought about maybe purchasing a physical copy, but then I thought back to helping my daughter look around for a fucking hour trying to track down her game card for Minecraft and remembered that I'm only buying shit digitally on the Switch unless it's way cheaper for a physical copy.

The only thing I would honestly jump at buying a physical copy of is if they did some kind of Legend of Zelda set that include game cards for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and, um, anything other than Twilight Princess and the game cards were gold. I'd buy up that shit. Or if they did something similar for Metroid and colored the game cards in the colors of Samus' various suits. That'd also be dope.