DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Ordered NBA2k20 on the Switch for $4.99 cause I figured it was too good a deal to pass up to have a proper sports game to play on the Switch - of course I'm a fool as the game is too big to run on the internal harddrive and now I just had to drop $60 on an absurdly large microSD card so I won't have this problem again.  

Edited by CSC

After a few positive reviews, I bought an Evercade (a retro gaming handheld built on the idea that the cartridges are all "greatest hits" compilations). The system itself is very cool so far, the pack-in carts are lacking (the Atari one has some utter stinkers even by early 2600 standards, the Interplay one only has 6 games and one of them is Boogerman, and the Data East one is easily the best because of Bump n Jump/Burnin' Rubber, Magical Drop 2 and Burgertime). I'm really looking forward to the 2 carts of Lynx games this fall, but I hope they get more licensors on board as aside from Namco most of their current partners will run out of worthwhile 8 and 16 bit games to reissur. That said, it was a pretty good impulse buy if only because when I eventually have to commute again it'll be a better choice for that than the Switch.

PSN is running an indie game sale.  Hundreds of indie games marked down.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/huge_playstation_store_indie_sale_has_lots_of_ps4_games_going_super_cheap

So, far PSN hasn't set up a sale section like they did for the Summer sale, but here's a list of every PSN game currently marked down.

https://en.psprices.com/region-us/discounts/?platform=PS4&sort=date#more

Not all of those games are indie titles.  About 1,000 games are currently marked down.  Not sure how many indie titles were just discounted.  I went through the store this morning and noticed a lot of smaller indie titles for less than $5 and a number of games on my "short" list were heavily marked down.  I paid half price for Arise: A Simple Story and picked up Snake Pass and Gris for less than $7 each.  Going to go through the full list later (at the link posted above).  Expecting to end up spending a fair bit.

So the Fortnite Marvel stuff is just a bunch of skins, right? They look amazing but what's the point of Storm if you are just going to run around and shoot people with a gun? I woke up to the pic and thought it looked really neat until I realized what it was. 

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

PSN is running an indie game sale.  Hundreds of indie games marked down.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/huge_playstation_store_indie_sale_has_lots_of_ps4_games_going_super_cheap

So, far PSN hasn't set up a sale section like they did for the Summer sale, but here's a list of every PSN game currently marked down.

https://en.psprices.com/region-us/discounts/?platform=PS4&sort=date#more

Not all of those games are indie titles.  About 1,000 games are currently marked down.  Not sure how many indie titles were just discounted.  I went through the store this morning and noticed a lot of smaller indie titles for less than $5 and a number of games on my "short" list were heavily marked down.  I paid half price for Arise: A Simple Story and picked up Snake Pass and Gris for less than $7 each.  Going to go through the full list later (at the link posted above).  Expecting to end up spending a fair bit.

They’re under Hidden Gems.

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

They’re under Hidden Gems.

Thanks.

List of trailers shown at Gamescom 2020, Night One:

Scarlet Nexus

Quantum Error

DIRT 5

Jurrasic World Evolution (Nintendo Switch version)

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Unknown9: Awakening

DOOM Eternal - The Ancient Gods Part One

Untitled Dragon Age game

Surgeon Simulator 2

Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead

Untitled Sam & Max game

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Stormground

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time

Teardown

Little Nightmares 2

WWE 2K Battlegrounds

Star Wars: Squadrons

The Sims 4: Star Wars Journey To Batuu

12 Minutes

Godfall

Warframe: Heart of Deimos

Override 2: Super Mech League

Mafia: Definitive Edition

Lemnis Gate

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Struggling

Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition

Chorus

Fall Guys - Season 2

Wasteland 3

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond

Spellbreak

Turrican Anthology

Destiny 2: Beyond Light

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

I bought Spiritfarer for the PS4 on a whim the other day. Very good game. Worth checking out for anyone who likes the collect/build/develop loop of an Animal Crossing or stuff along those lines. Definitely worth a look.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liam said:

I bought Spiritfarer for the PS4 on a whim the other day. Very good game. Worth checking out for anyone who likes the collect/build/develop loop of an Animal Crossing or stuff along those lines. Definitely worth a look.

I cosign this.  It's free on Xbox Game Pass, I finished it a couple days ago.  I wish it gave you about 5% more guidance, but you'll figure everything out eventually.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've quite like what I've played of Spiritfarer so far.  I liked Thunder Lotus' previous two games a lot too.

Finished up Asura's Wrath early this morning.  I think I played through the campaign when it first came out, but don't really remember it and definitely didn't play the the dlc.  Really liked the game on the whole.  It's over-the-top and at times seems more like an interactive movie than a game, but on the whole though it was a lot of fun.  The DLC actually added a fair bit.  The Episode IV dlc included the "real" ending of the game and was well done.  The Street Fighter dlc chapters were inconsequential but lots of fun.

Going to play The Last Campfire this weekend but I did boot it last night after downloading and check out a couple minutes.  Warning: it takes the game about 60 seconds before it tries to punch you in the feels.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Yeah, I've quite like what I've played of Spiritfarer so far.  I liked Thunder Lotus' previous two games a lot too.

I saw mixed reviews for Sundered, but it is currently on sale on Switch - recommend?

Also, what was their other game? Might as well ask while I am here. EDIT: No worries - stumbled across it somewhere else.

Edited by Liam

2 hours ago, Liam said:

I saw mixed reviews for Sundered, but it is currently on sale on Switch - recommend?

Also, what was their other game? Might as well ask while I am here. EDIT: No worries - stumbled across it somewhere else.

I enjoyed Sundered quite a bit.  I thought it looked great and I dug the premise of dungeons filled with Lovecraftian monsters.  It worked for quite well.  Probably one of my favorite metroidvanias of the past ten years.  Only real drawback imo is that some areas are procedurally generated and aren't as interesting or attractive as the other parts of the dungeons.

Their first game was Jotun.  It's a top-down action-adventure about a female Viking who dies an inglorious death but gets returned to life so she can earn her way into the afterlife by killing Jotun - Norse giants.  Hand-drawn art is gorgeous and the bosses are well-designed.  The game is sort of designed along the lines of Shadow of the Colossus in that it's mostly boss battles.  You encounter smaller enemies (sometimes swarms of them), but you spend most of your time between boss fights exploring and dodging living trees and poisonous plants.  Combat wasn't great, but the game was a lot of fun on the whole.  It's available for Switch as well as PC and the other major consoles.  PS4 also got a physical edition from Limited Run Games.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 12:21 PM, Jiji said:

So the Fortnite Marvel stuff is just a bunch of skins, right? They look amazing but what's the point of Storm if you are just going to run around and shoot people with a gun? I woke up to the pic and thought it looked really neat until I realized what it was. 

Actually theres a tad bit more to it. They brought back a bunch of weapons and accessories. They eliminated the Tact Shottie, reg smg and rapid fire smg and a few misc. Brought in a scopped assault rifle, tactical smg, supressed smg, pump shotgun, combat shotgun, disco ball, shockwave grenade launcher. Plus when the bus takes off, jets fly under and land in random spots. Each onr is guarded and they have new highgraded weapons and each jet location has a special superpower you can use throughout the game. 

Got the Tsushima platinum earlier. Man, what a game. Has pretty much climbed into my top 10 of all time. The combat is just stellar and I dig the story a lot. No real twists, but they still effectively hit even the beats that you saw coming hours beforehand. 

I see that Control added an assist mode. I’m going to give it another try, I think. I was engrossed in the story, though I didn’t get too deep before I bounced off. Less so the gameplay. Specifically how fragile your character can be early. Some of the grunts packed a bigger punch than you’d think. Since I can mitigate that (or just make myself invincible if I really want), I want to see the story through. 

• Like 3

I swear about everyone I know online or in real life has the Ghost of Tsushima Platinum. I will get it for my 200th Platinum trophy.

I got my 182nd Platinum trophy this morning with LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for PS3. I'm surprised there wasn't a PS4 remaster released, must be licensing issues with Disney.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I swear about everyone I know online or in real life has the Ghost of Tsushima Platinum. I will get it for my 200th Platinum trophy.

I got my 182nd Platinum trophy this morning with LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean for PS3. I'm surprised there wasn't a PS4 remaster released, must be licensing issues with Disney.

Its probably the easiest AAA-title Platinum in recent memory. Anyone that is the type that hits every ? and does every side quest anyway is going to be so close to the Platinum by the end of the game that at most it would take another 10, 15 minutes to run through the last few weird trophies. I dunno if they did that on purpose but usually open world games have some crazy grinding-trophy so I never get Platinum, but this one doesn't for some reason.

UFC 4 has a pretty easy platinum - only two online trophies this time around, and seemingly not super hard to achieve. Everything else is mostly Career mode focused, if I remember right. I'm half way through my career mode and I've gotten most of the trophies already (and things like winning with a choke submission etc are trophies you can get from learning moves in training).

In other news, I only spent like $14, so no big loss, but holy shit are Homefront: The Revolution & The Surge not very fun at all.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Its probably the easiest AAA-title Platinum in recent memory. Anyone that is the type that hits every ? and does every side quest anyway is going to be so close to the Platinum by the end of the game that at most it would take another 10, 15 minutes to run through the last few weird trophies. I dunno if they did that on purpose but usually open world games have some crazy grinding-trophy so I never get Platinum, but this one doesn't for some reason.

Yeah, I was only missing one (unlisted) side mission after I finished the game. Took me longer to figure out what and where it was than to actually do the mission. 

Though I don’t mind collectibles (I find list checking to be relaxing and it feels like I’ve accomplished something when I’m done), I did appreciate that you don’t need to find everything for those trophies. Only...20, I think, for both Artifacts and Records. And you have to scrounge up so much crafting material in enemy camps that you’re going to be finding them naturally anyway. 

Finally got the Rayman Legends PS4 plat this morning, turned off the game, and deleted it. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend, but in a happy way. 

My son is urging me to play GOT next but is also slacking on setting up our systems for game sharing (he has one at his mom's and then plays on mine). I got a short trip this week so maybe I'll play some short indie games when chilling in my hotel eating delivery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Finally got the Rayman Legends PS4 plat this morning, turned off the game, and deleted it. It was like saying goodbye to an old friend, but in a happy way. 

My son is urging me to play GOT next but is also slacking on setting up our systems for game sharing (he has one at his mom's and then plays on mine). I got a short trip this week so maybe I'll play some short indie games when chilling in my hotel eating delivery. 

Rayman Legends has one of the most ridiculous grinds with the Diamonds and final level of Awesomeness, so awesome work on this. I still need to do this after I do Rayman Origins.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Thanks 1

Turns out, if I can mitigate some of the damage the rank and file enemies do in Control, it’s suddenly a game I really enjoy. Assist Mode was a fantastic addition for me.

Interestingly, even if you turn everything on the highest setting, make yourself invincible and toggle one-hit kills, it doesn’t disable Achievements/Trophies. I was surprised by that. 

I started Slay The Spire up again and the rng gods were in my favour because I ran through Ascension 19 and 20 with The Silent, and Ascension 20 with Ironclad in four or five tries total. I've never played a card-based game like this before and enjoyed it waaaaay more than I thought I would. Time to put it to rest though. Getting crushed on floor 1 or 2 on Ascension 20 gets demoralising really quickly.