DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

19 hours ago, Jiji said:

Rogue Legacy 2 is out on Steam in Early Access. It's 10% off through the 25th. @Death From Above you picking that one up?

I snagged it as soon as I saw it. Haven't gotten very far though. Feels more frustratingly hard than the original but that's probably just that after 7 years I know the original so well that I can start a new file and be ready to wrestle it to the ground.

Playing Fall Guys. Reached the final but didn't win, again. The guy who did win then did the Jack in the Box celebration. The one you get for reaching level 40 (ie Maximum Level) this season. Not sure why he's still playing when he's already completed it.

I say that speaking as a guy who quit Fortnite Battle Royal after I won my first Solo game. Winning teams and Duos, I could say I was carried to some extent, but a solo round, 100 guys and I beat them all, that's the peak. No point continuing. So maybe I quit Fall Guys if I win one. Maybe I trophy hunt a bit more afterwards. We'll see. It's less annoying now I turned the music off.

After a brief hiatus from Dragon's Dogma, I am finally back to grinding away.  I finally got to the showdown with the titular dragon and the swerve made my jaw drop.

I'm now in what is called the Post-Game dealing with the fallout from what I thought was the right choice aka slay the fucking dragon.

My Magick Archer is 70th level now, so I will keep grinding until he is about 100 and then tackle the Bitterblack Island DLC crap.  Once that's done, I'll deal with the real endgame and move on to Avengers or just go back on hiatus until 2077 shows up to ruin my life.

I hit level 40 in Fall Guys two days ago. I will stop when I feel like stopping and not a moment before.

The new PGA 2K21 Golf game looks kind of interesting to me, mainly because it actually has a custom course builder so there's no concerns of a content shortage in the long run. I might pick it up someday when it is on sale.

I have PGA 2K1 and my limited review goes a lil something like this, (HIT IT!).

If you want a golf game where the golf is fun and you feel like you are totally in control of your successes and failures?  Play this game.  If you want a golf game full of bells and whistles, don't play this game.  The golf is fun, and intuitive and it feels exactly how I want it to feel.  When I fuck up, it is because I missed timed my shot or didn't read the green correctly.  It sucks, but I can only be mad at myself.  When I succeed though, it's also because I perfectly timed my shot and/or adjusted my putt so that I used the slope of the green to my advantage...and it feels fucking awesome.  I hit a 187 yard Eagle on an approach on a Par-4 and I was shocked because it was one of the few times I changed clubs against the game's recommended club choice.  I had been hitting the ball so it rolled off the far side of the green, so I went one club down and tried to hit the ball a little shorter.  The ball landed in front of the pin exactly where I was aiming and slowly rolled into the hole.  It was amazing, and I've played maybe 10 rounds since then, and haven't done anything close to it again.  I've hit some really good shots, but that it feels like that was a once in a lifetime type of shot despite it happening on the second day of playing the game.  With that said all the other shit, aside from the course designer which feels deep as hell without being overwhelming, is fucking bare bones.  Seriously, the character creator has 12 hairstyles, which is kind of absurd for a modern sports game.  You can be 11 types of clean cut or have one ponytail.  That's it.  The rest of the game feels like this too.  I haven't bought a single new club, because none actually feel like they make that much of a difference.  They have a bunch of name brand clothes, and I'm pretty sure I have more Polo gear than the game...and I like my Polo gear a hell of a lot better.  So, if you want to play a really good golf simulation, I recommend it 100%, but if you want to do anything in the game other than golf...or build a course...wait for next year.  This feels like the foundation of a great franchise, it's just really bare bones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my 181st Platinum with GoldenEye 007 Reloaded. Note: the servers shut down earlier this year, so the 100% from scratch is impossible. The game is great, but the reloading of guns....really annoying. I hate how developers try to do 'realistic' reloading when you just want the character to cram the clip in and go. It's a video game. No one will notice.

The last mission on 007 Classic is annoying and "Solar Agitated" is really annoying to do.

Yes, I still need to do Grand Theft Auto V multiplayer trophies.

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I hit level 40 in Fall Guys two days ago. I will stop when I feel like stopping and not a moment before.

The new PGA 2K21 Golf game looks kind of interesting to me, mainly because it actually has a custom course builder so there's no concerns of a content shortage in the long run. I might pick it up someday when it is on sale.

If you want a course creator, The Golf Club games have one, and the games are dirt cheap.  I got the first one on PSN for $2.

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Got my 181st Platinum with GoldenEye 007 Reloaded. Note: the servers shut down earlier this year, so the 100% from scratch is impossible. The game is great, but the reloading of guns....really annoying. I hate how developers try to do 'realistic' reloading when you just want the character to cram the clip in and go. It's a video game. No one will notice.

The last mission on 007 Classic is annoying and "Solar Agitated" is really annoying to do.

Yes, I still need to do Grand Theft Auto V multiplayer trophies.

I actually really liked GoldenEye 007 Reloaded and might still have the gold Wii pro controller around somewhere.  When I got it, I was living in a duplex with gamers living in both units, so we had fun playing split-screen local multiplayer, and the online was actually really fun and quite active as well.  The PS3 version was also really fun.  I should try and dig it out sometime.

30 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

If you want a course creator, The Golf Club games have one, and the games are dirt cheap.  I got the first one on PSN for $2.

Just so you know the new 2K games are actually made by the The Golf Club guys. In fact I believe this was supposed to be just a Golf Club game until the rights got snatched up, and they slapped the 2K logo on it.

To be honest, I don’t care for these games. They feel so B-tier compared to the old Tiger games. Heck I’d recommend Everybody’s Golf(AKA Hot Shots) before recommending TGC just due to the relaxing presentation of those Japanese made golf games.

I tried to grind out some levels in Dragon's Dogma last night, but I think the bloom is falling from the rose.  I think I just need to stay interested until Avengers comes out and ride Avengers until November where Cyberpunk 2077 is sure to consume every waking hour.  

After that will come the Bloodlines 2 obsession.

I'm pretty much at the real end of the game but I am like Level 70 right now and I need to get to 100 for another achievement.  Not sure if that's going to happen before I feel the tug towards another game.

If it gets too much to bear, I will just kill the Ur-Dragon and drive on to the true ending.  After that, I will try to revisit Gransys after I am done tearing Night City a new butt orifice.  I'll fire up a New Game Plus and head straight to Bitterblack to get my Magick Archer up to 200.

Edited by J.T.

18 hours ago, Jiji said:

PGA seems like a total discount game to me. I get that it's a continuation of golf club but man, 12 wack tour players and you can't play as them? That's what's stopping me. 

Same here. I'm guessing next year's game will likely have a broader roster of tour golfers you can actually play and hopefully something close enough to Augusta/The Masters. Hell, just make it a different colored jacket. They couldn't possibly get sued because of that, right?

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Same here. I'm guessing next year's game will likely have a broader roster of tour golfers you can actually play and hopefully something close enough to Augusta/The Masters. Hell, just make it a different colored jacket. They couldn't possibly get sued because of that, right?

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Haha 2

My son  has over 30 wins on Fall Guys. He says he's three trophies away from platinum.

I told him that me and his mother love his little brother more.

This fucking game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We were pretty casual before but then he was able to get his friends on it, so it's become a way to hang out with friends he hasn't talked to since...jesus...MARCH. So while he hanging out he's mastered this fucking thing.

The first time I played it was the Takeshi Castle fake door race and I got first place. I was like, "Cool I've got this shit figured out." Beginners luck I guess. I'm better at it now, but I can only play it for maybe 30 minutes before I want to do something else.

• Like 2

I'm probably gonna platinum Rayman Legends this week. This is one of those games where you get 90+% of the trophies through just gameplay/some random tasks, but then you gotta grind daily/weekly online challenges for months to finish it up. I had PLANNED on getting both the PS3 and PS4 plats around the same time but, well, I lost my save on the 3 by obnoxious means that I've already posted about ? - still, glad to be almost done other one!

I'm about halfway through TLOU2 still, taking my time. I don't hate either this or the prequel like some others do but man, I do NOT get the people who think this shit is the best thing since Super Mario Bros, plus those that just went hard and beat it in the first week. Sounds nuts to me.

Meanwhile, even though it's been 100%ed, I still feel fondly for Sleeping Dogs Remastered and truly wish it would get a proper sequel. Probably the most enjoyable game I've played in 2020. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

We were pretty casual before but then he was able to get his friends on it, so it's become a way to hang out with friends he hasn't talked to since...jesus...MARCH. So while he hanging out he's mastered this fucking thing.

The first time I played it was the Takeshi Castle fake door race and I got first place. I was like, "Cool I've got this shit figured out." Beginners luck I guess. I'm better at it now, but I can only play it for maybe 30 minutes before I want to do something else.

I put another 45 or so into it just now while listening to Jazz/Nuggets and I still haven't qualified for a fourth round, lol. I'm the drizzling shits. It's got a neat aesthetic and it's kinda fun, but yeah, it's not something I'll sink a bunch of my time into. Granted, I could be saying "just going to be something casual" after putting 50 hours into, but I hope not. I really hope not.

So I've pretty much given my 6 year old access to the PS3.  He got super into the Lego Marvel and Batman games, which is fine.  But he wandered into Sonic Generations (he played Sonic 2 a bunch on my retropie).  He's been playing the shit out of the City Escape level, and has ended up finding exploits to run the stage faster.  I've never been prouder.

I also think I'm going to get my first Platinum off DBZ: Kakarot.  The trophies are pretty easy, just needs a bit of grinding that's not excessive, and no multiplayer, so I'm going for it.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

Killed the Ur-Dragon with my pawns last night and earned a phat 50 point rare achievement.  I think I am going to grind levels in the Everfall and sell Wakestones until my MA is ready for Bitterblack Island.  Then I'll smash out the rest of DD's endgame content.

By then, Avengers will be out or I will be taking a break until November and then go and live vicariously through my 2077 character.

Edited by J.T.

My daughter and I were both playing Fall Guys the other day. On one run she made it to the mountain and lost. I haven't even made it past the 3rd round, but the first time I did I made it all the way to the mountain. I launch out of the gate to a huge, early lead. Everyone else is way behind me. I blow through the spinny door things and I'm still all alone.

And then I got to those spinning mallets. I get knocked back, knocked back again, knocked back AGAIN and realize that if I don't get through this last time then I'm finished.

I never made it through the mallets. Dammit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wanna know which Fall Guys Trophy @Andrew POE! was talking about

Infallible. You have to win 5 episodes in a row....it's possible to get legitimately but so much RNG is involved to obtain it. There's an exploit to get it but the developers are going to patch it out because they are jerks.

Edited by Andrew POE!

Ironically I was wondering if that was the one you were talking about.

I know a few of the streamers I watch got it in the early days because they were playing constantly and people hadn’t figured out strategy yet.

Of course one is always at the mercy of not getting stuck with shit teammates