DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Epic isn't great, but until they illegally share my information with the fucking Pentagon I'm not ready to lump them in with google.

Man, that bar has been set low. 

Just now, Death From Above said:

If Epic ever has a launcher that isn't total garbage I won't really have a problem with them, to be honest.

Just use GOG's. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Update - Epic is now feuding with Apple AND Google

God there is absolutely no good guy in this story

As soon as Apple is involved, they are automatically THE bad guy, even if a company like Facebook, Microsoft or Google is involved as well. At least with Google, you have some vague idea what they are doing, Apple on the other hand, is delivering the ultimate black boxes. They could be run by Skynet for all we know.

Why didn't anybody tell me there was basically a remake of Dinopark Tycoon?! It's called Parkasaurus and it's on Steam right now. The official Jurassic Park game had some issues but overall was very fun and well made. But the OG Dinopark Tycoon has special sentimental value because it was one of the few games we had on our dogshit computers at school as a li'l one. 

Got a question.  I was browsing the Nintendo eshop for old-school Nintendo games and I noticed that a lot of classic Nintendo exclusives appear to be available on the Wii U eshop, but not the Switch's.  I'm talking about the Rare Donkey Kong Country trilogy, a lot of the older Metroid games (Metroid, Super, the DS games), Sin an Punishment, Super Mario 64 (?!) as well as the NES and SNES Super Mario titles, and most of the older Legend of Zelda games, including Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Have these seriously not been ported to the Switch eShop or am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?  It seems like making Majora's Mask and Super Mario 64 available on the Wii would be a no-brainer.

Just now, Doc Townsend said:

Got a question.  I was browsing the Nintendo eshop for old-school Nintendo games and I noticed that a lot of classic Nintendo exclusives appear to be available on the Wii U eshop, but not the Switch's.  I'm talking about the Rare Donkey Kong Country trilogy, a lot of the older Metroid games (Metroid, Super, the DS games), Sin an Punishment, Super Mario 64 (?!) as well as the NES and SNES Super Mario titles, and most of the older Legend of Zelda games, including Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Have these seriously not been ported to the Switch eShop or am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?  It seems like making Majora's Mask and Super Mario 64 available on the Wii would be a no-brainer.

They have not been ported to the Switch eShop and your guess as to the reasoning is as good as anyone else's.  Just Nintendo being Nintendo.

A lot of the NES and SNES stuff is available if you subscribe to the Switch Online service.

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Why didn't anybody tell me there was basically a remake of Dinopark Tycoon?! It's called Parkasaurus and it's on Steam right now. The official Jurassic Park game had some issues but overall was very fun and well made. But the OG Dinopark Tycoon has special sentimental value because it was one of the few games we had on our dogshit computers at school as a li'l one. 

Just added to my Steam wishlist.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Tabe said:

I know I am.  But I'm still right about F-Zero.

Super Monaco GP, which came out a year before:

Super Monaco GP – Megadrive Review – Retro Resolution: video gaming

F-Zero:

F-Zero (SNES) - online game | RetroGames.cz

I'm not saying Super Monaco GP is a better game.  Just saying it looks better.

F-Zero seemed more like just a tech demo to show off some of the Mode 7 stuff than anything else.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 5:30 PM, Raziel said:

Blast Processing > Super FX

That didn't have the Super FX chip, otherwise it would look far weirder and/or worse or amazing. Yoshi's Island having by far the best use of any iteration of that thing.

LikelyBossyGecko-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Ryan

20 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Neat little video on the history of Microsoft Flight Simulator as we have a new release.

I remember playing a version of that rigged up with a control system in a tech class in HS in 1997 and to say it looks better would be the biggest understatement in the history of mankind. Having the ability to render textures properly was an upgrade on that experience. I think I crashed into a few buildings playing it at 12 fps.

Edit: Looking at it, it had to be either 95 or 98 based on the graphics and it definitely had a lot of stuff turned off to make it even run. I remember textureless polygon buildings and sometimes they'd pop in and out. Good times.

Edited by Ryan

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

They have not been ported to the Switch eShop and your guess as to the reasoning is as good as anyone else's.  Just Nintendo being Nintendo.

A lot of the NES and SNES stuff is available if you subscribe to the Switch Online service.

Maybe they have issues licensing...their own stuff for their own consoles. Um, I don't have a good answer. Maybe they want that Wii U emulation scene to keep growing! ....

10 minutes ago, Ryan said:

That didn't have the Super FX chip, otherwise it would look far weirder and/or worse or amazing. Yoshi's Island having by far the best use of any iteration of that thing.

I know, I  just blanked on SNES's gimmick being Mode 7 and wanted a cutsy shot at Nintendo always having the lowest tier hardware in any generation they've made console's for.

After giving up on the Avengers Beta, I downloaded Fall Guys. It does feel very much like someone looked at Fortnite and said "That, but a platform game". Very reminiscent... even down to the "Anyone using THAT skin is obviously an idiot" concept.

Oh, and also Witcher 3 made me spend absolutely ages getting bored out of my mind doing a Wedding mission then didn't give me the trophy for doing it because I didn't know how to get into the hayloft.

Edited by AxB

Looking at what is on the Switch Online:

Nes

DK3. DK Jr, super Mario Bros Lost Levels, Zelda 2, Super Mario 2, Metroid, Zelda, DK, mario bros, SM 3

Snes

DK country, Star fox 1 &2, SM world, super metroid,  link to past, 

Edited by odessasteps

24 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Gamecube was above the Dreamcast~! if you want to pretend those are the same generation in some alternate universe.

Also the SNES was mostly more powerful than the Genesis (which it should have been, as it came out two years later, similar as the Master System was more powerful than the NES as it came out two years later). And the fifth generation consoles were so different, that they are really hard to compare.

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

Maybe they have issues licensing...their own stuff for their own consoles. Um, I don't have a good answer. Maybe they want that Wii U emulation scene to keep growing! ....

If it's anything like Squeenix's issues, it may be that they literally do not have the code for the games anymore. 

13 hours ago, Ryan said:

The answer is... they just want you subbing to the Switch Online service, knowing Nintendo.

So I decided to follow through on trying that Call of Duty game that's free on PS+. It is just the story mode, without any online multiplayer. And it's really boring!

Nice change of pace from Fall Guys though.

• Haha 1

Does Fall Guys have a single player story mode?! That would seem dull. Fortnite with no other players or Bots. Just uh build stuff? I dunno. Whatever you do in that game.

Edited by Ryan

44 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Does Fall Guys have a single player story mode?! That would seem dull. 

Nope - it is just a collection of basically mini-games until there is a winner

Moves way quicker than a Fortnight match however.

That being said - with how hard people have thrown themselves into the game, they are gonna need some new levels sooner rather than later.

Oh and get the anti-cheating software going

Fortnite has a story mode, it's what the game originally was. Well, it's Horde mode where you defend a castle, only you have to build the castle first. The idea was in the day you harvest and build, a Fort, and then at Night the monsters come out and you defend against them. It's not single player, it's squads of 4... it didn't catch on, but the Battle Royal mode did, so everyone ignored about Save the World mode.

Fall Guys single player wouldn't work. It's assault courses, but it's a race. They aren't hard.