DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Ghost of Tsushima seemingly took RDR2, re-skinned it as a samurai game, made it look even more pretty than that game was, and improved basically everything (except maybe the English voice acting). I just did 7 hours in a single session, and I meant to quit about 2 or 3 hours ago. I’m really enjoying it, although my only real complaint so far is that there are like 6 different “skill trees” to upgrade, and you don’t get upgrade tokens all that often. At least so far, I’m not even all the way through Act 1 yet.

My favorite thing is getting the Ronin outfit, getting the white variant (with the Death headband, because it matches) and then going on a killing spree. That outfit barely looks white when you’re done because it’s so stained with blood.

What Casey said.  It is a gorgeous game and really fun to play.  I am playing it on my sister's PS4 while my brother is muddling through Dragon's Dogma on my XB1.

I also hate the Borderlands 3 system of skimping on upgrade tokens and forcing you to be too strategic on your builds.  I'd like to split up my skills so that I can function as both Ghost & Samurai as I'd like to use the Ghost as an alter ego, but I fear I will just end up gimping myself in future missions.  I'm gonna have to make some hard decisions and then stay true to the build.

The waypoint system is fucking great.   I'm spending too much time foraging for rare ingredients for clothing dyes.

22 hours ago, Casey said:

Ghost of Tsushima seemingly took RDR2, re-skinned it as a samurai game, made it look even more pretty than that game was, and improved basically everything (except maybe the English voice acting). I just did 7 hours in a single session, and I meant to quit about 2 or 3 hours ago. I’m really enjoying it, although my only real complaint so far is that there are like 6 different “skill trees” to upgrade, and you don’t get upgrade tokens all that often. At least so far, I’m not even all the way through Act 1 yet.

My favorite thing is getting the Ronin outfit, getting the white variant (with the Death headband, because it matches) and then going on a killing spree. That outfit barely looks white when you’re done because it’s so stained with blood.

I feel like I have to play both RDR 1 & 2 before I do Ghost of Tsushima now just to compare.

Act II of Ghost of Tsushima is wild and I'm just getting started!

Spoiler

MONGOLIAN HAND CANNONS TAKEN FROM THE CHINESE EARLIER IN THE CENTURY. HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A THING THAT EXISTED.

The straw hat duels. My God, they're just so cool! The one in Drown Man's Shore looked phenomenal with the banners, dueling circle, and fireflies. 

The abundance of flowers in the really cool marsh area. Oh and there are some areas with bamboo forests and others with huge tall tufts of grass that really remind me of the character I'm looking forward to the most.

The stronger enemies is a nice challenge too after mopping up in the first part of the game with OP techniques n such. 

• Like 2

(Technically thread - but I am posting specifically for the King Arthur game stuff)

I am giggling because somewhere Bioware is like "Oh thank god - Schreier is now focused on Ubisoft instead of us"

• Haha 1

Was Lone Ranger one of the best hidden gems on the NES? So many different types of gameplay and it looked great for the time.

Star Tropics isn't under the radar is it? I feel like it is somewhat in that it doesn't get widespread love but it does usually end up on the best of the NES lists pretty high. 

Back to Ghost... The Mythical Tales have some of the best missions I've played in a AAA game not named Witcher III. If only they could've included more stories of that quality throughout the game, we're talking easy GOAT. As is, it's a personal favourite and one of the best games of the generation.

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

Back to Ghost... The Mythical Tales have some of the best missions I've played in a AAA game not named Witcher III. If only they could've included more stories of that quality throughout the game, we're talking easy GOAT. As is, it's a personal favourite and one of the best games of the generation.

I think I have fully abandoned the Samurai tree and gone full Ghost.  My rep is now dirty to the point where Mongolians will find a dead body, whisper to themselves, and run the fuck away as fast as they can.  It will probably have adverse effects on the ending which naturally will inspire another playthrough.

I need to find more dye ingredients and my wanderings have discovered more hidden prayer shrines in the forest.

Edited by J.T.

I haven't played it for a few days but I've been sticking with the Samurai tree.  Not because I'm looking for a particular ending but more because while the Ghost stuff sounds neat in reality I mostly go full Samurai in battles.

• Like 1

I find there are stretches where it's way easier to go samurai, big dick swangin' mode than sneaky style and vice versa. Generally, the start of both the first two acts when I'm adjusting to the difficulty. Then I settle into ghost mode. I don't know if play style does effect the ending but I'm fine with my choices. 

Also, my friends and I have been thirsty for something to play as a group since we tired of gta online... Grounded came out on early access for game pass on Xbox one and steam. Looks like original fortnite idea mixed with honey I shrunk the kids. I am interested. Not sure if a trailer was posted, so apologies if it was. I don't have you blocked. 

That intro. 

Edited by Jiji

Don't quote me on it because I haven't actually played the game yet, but my understanding is that while there are multiple endings, they're not tied to the Samurai/Ghost reputation stuff.

GS finally has this back in stock. I wasn't around release day and they sold out instantly both there and at Target. Finally going to pick it up today. I'd avoided ordering it online because I have a trip home to PA coming up and didn't want to risk it being delivered while I wasn't here.

Amazon lost mine in the mail.  Ordered before launch by my parents as a birthday gift.

Ended up buying digitally instead today as a back up gift.  It still hasn't arrived from Amazon.

Should finally get to play tonight.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dogwelder said:

I sure hope not.  I've been almost exclusively playing as a Ghost unless the game forces me to play as a samurai.

I have just enough Samurai tree skills to wander around during the day with my gear on and pass myself off as a ronin and win the odd duel with honor.

At night however...

At the end of Act II

Spoiler

I took the "poison the Mongol's drinks" route to deal with Ryuzo. I felt bad, but it was a lot of fun!

Here is the walkthrough.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-walkthrough-guide-7037?page=6

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Yo, did anyone get in on Skater XL now that it is out on console? I think I want to grab it, but I'm not seeing any real substantial reviews, and I prefer to not base my opinion on YouTube playthroughs. I added it to our Gamefly queue, so I'll get my hands on it pretty soon. Just looking for some other opinions.

Also, does anyone know if I can reformat a corrupt Memory Card 1019 for the GCN? Mine fell victim to the WiiConnect24 overheating horseshit. I deleted all the files, and go through what is supposed to trigger the format message in the menu, but it doesn't work. 

Every fucking game I own had a save on that card, except for my Animal Crossing towns. I'm pretty heartbroken about it, especially now that I am finding out bootleggers got hella good at making fakes, so I can't even trust buying used ones. I'm on the hunt for some of the 251 cards now. If anyone has some they want to knock off, we should talk about it and come to an arrangement!

Metacritic has 4 reviews that tear it apart for being too bare bones and the fans are much harsher because there's limited content since it's basically just a street skating simulator. Steam users seem to love it.

Edited by Ryan

Picked up Ghosts of Tsushima the other day. I went to the local GameStop and they didn't have it so I said to hell with it and just downloaded it. I think the only other digital games I have are the games from the Borderlands Handsome Collection that I got when they were on sale a few years ago.

Anyway, I seriously get my ass kicked a lot in this game. When you get swarmed by 4 or 5 Mongols it's pretty damn hard to keep everything together.

Edited by Gonzo