DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

At some point I talked my internet provider into doubling my internet speed but lowering my bill, and I noticed that the PSN store on my PS4 improved after that. That being said, my internet connection was great before, so it baffled me that just a speed increase would somehow magically allow the PSN store to load ALL the screenshot files instead of just two.

My bigger problem is when I'm going through my Library of games that I got for free via PS+. I select a game has interesting cover art, go to overview and it says Check Back Soon!, and there's no option here to view the trailer. Or any info to help me remember what the hell this game was about or what it does. I have to go back into the PSN store, search the name of the game and watch the trailer that way. I have to do it that way for every game.

Speed doesn't really matter on your end.  I got 100 Mbps and my PS4 is hardwired to my router and get the same issue.  It's on Sony's side, and they don't seem that keen on fixing it.

I figured that was the case. I just know it got better. Could have been a coincidence regardless.

There's several navigational flaws in the OS design that I feel are obvious, and I google to see if there's a work around and it's like no one cares. So maybe I'm the weird one.

I feel like I'm in another dimension when I hear people talk about troubles with the PSN store.  Have literally never had an issue on the PS4 with it.  Also never had a problem with the web site other than it being a little slow.  And the "download to my ps4" always works.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

The PS Store runs like flaming shit on the Consoles itself, always has, although it's *slightly* better on the 4 than it was on the 3.  I'd recommend doing your shopping on the website then downloading it from your Library on the console (because the automatic "queue" feature on teh website doesn't always work).

Ok, how does this work?   'Cause, on general principle, I'd prefer to search for new and interesting games while watching tv or whatever.  Also, the store's been more stable for me on pc, ipad, and phone than the PS4.

So I sign into my PSN account from my PC, surf the storefront, then buy a game and process the payment.  Then what?  Does the game start downloading as soon as I log into my account from the PS4, or do I have to go somewhere to start the download?  Where do I look for the download link?  In the PS4 library (since that was mentioned above)?  How do I know if the auto queue function has started the download or not?

Sorry.  I know these are noob questions, especially for someone who has owned since 2014.  <Shrug> Until I decided to start checking out digital exclusives last week, I was almost strictly a physical media guy.  I also very rarely check out online play or use the PS4 as anything except a games machine (I don't use the multimedia functions or apps/web browser/etc.  Plenty of other toys for those activities.)

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Phil hates my posting in the TV thread.

Well, he just hates my posting period.

To be fair - I debated which thread to put it in and decided here

7 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Ok, how does this work?   'Cause, on general principle, I'd prefer to search for new and interesting games while watching tv or whatever.  Also, the store's been more stable for me on pc, ipad, and phone than the PS4.

So I sign into my PSN account from my PC, surf the storefront, then buy a game and process the payment.  Then what?  Does the game start downloading as soon as I log into my account from the PS4, or do I have to go somewhere to start the download?  Where do I look for the download link?  In the PS4 library (since that was mentioned above)?  How do I know if the auto queue function has started the download or not?

Sorry.  I know these are noob questions, especially for someone who has owned since 2014.  <Shrug> Until I decided to start checking out digital exclusives last week, I was almost strictly a physical media guy.  I also very rarely check out online play or use the PS4 as anything except a games machine (I don't use the multimedia functions or apps/web browser/etc.  Plenty of other toys for those activities.)

Thanks.

Your Account avatar (upper right hand of the screen) > Download Queue > Download to your PS4. I'm fairly certain your PS4 has to be turned on for it to start downloading, though.

7 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Thanks.

Most of the time, when on the PS Store (store.playstation.com), if you click your avatar on the upper left, a dropdown appears that had "Download List".  Select that and a random ordered list of *everything* you've bought digital shows up, go through it and click "Download to your PS4". That should queue it do DL (so long as your PS4 is in Rest mode and not fully powered off).  

From the PS4 itself, if you go all the way to the library section in the main XMB, in the menu on the right after that there's a "Purchased" list.  That's alphabetical of everything you purchased, and you can select the game and DL it from there.

For whatever reason, I've recently been having issues with setting up the queue from the website (I can purchase just fine), but others (like Tabe) have had no issues, so who knows.  My PS4 is wonky a bit anyway since I have a motherboard issue I don't care to fight about and can just spend the 20 minutes every 7 months or so to swap out the battery.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Your Account avatar (upper right hand of the screen) > Download Queue > Download to your PS4. I'm fairly certain your PS4 has to be turned on for it to start downloading, though.

It'll work if your PS4 is asleep, just not if it's all the way powered off.

Just now, Zimbra said:

It'll work if your PS4 is asleep, just not if it's all the way powered off.

So in other words, if you're a normal person it won't work, but if you're a psycho who keeps their console in sleep mode - it'll work. ?

I know I'm a psycho, but rest mode will let me DL something (in theory) If I'm not in the same house as the system, so it can be nice and ready by the time I get home.

Or turn it on remotely for remote play if I happen to be somewhere with good internet with some time to kill (like a work overnight)

I've had very few issues buying or downloading games from the PS store on my console but it is guaranteed to crash at least once every single time I open it up. I exclusively do digital downloads at this point but I have always found it odd that the store is so spotty

I only do the PS4 on my phone through the PS4 app or on my laptop. I think I've been to the store maybe three times on the console since I've had the thing.

But yeah, I mainly do digital downloads and I've never had a problem.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh yeah, I don't believe in stealth in this game.

Walking into a camp, calling out their best soldier, striking him down, and then murking guys one by one until you stab the leader of the camp in the neck is the best. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, that new Paper Mario is alright too.

Lol, I keep wanting to play stealthily, but, yeah, it's so much more fun to brute force your way through encounters.  All that's missing is Jin giving some sort of "I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills.Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you" speech.  In Japanese, of course.

Tsushima would easily be my game of the year if the story wasn't so perfunctory.  Everything else is outstanding.  Hell, it still might be my GotY when all is said and done.

• Like 1

I have put most of my points into the ghost skills and weapons and am now picking off enemies from the shadows with ease. It's beautiful. I've done pretty much everything in the first section of the island so I moved in on Kaneda Island. I really enjoyed that mission. I thought it was pretty well executed and interesting because they built things up really well for the events that unfold. I am not hating the writing where it was clear that they applied themselves and I enjoy the characters they've introduced too. It's just the side quests I have issue with, as they're largely only half-thought out and stay strictly on the surface. Rockstar is guilty of that too, mind you.

edit: Oh yeah and the PS Store has always run slow as molasses for me and sometimes it'll just not load anything at all.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

In almost six years, I legitimately don't remember the PSN Store ever crashing on my PS4

I've had PSN store crash on me when I was downloading an update for a game (but I wasn't aware of the update). Also, it's prone to running slow for me when the hard drive is nearly full.

Ghost of Tsushima seemingly took RDR2, re-skinned it as a samurai game, made it look even more pretty than that game was, and improved basically everything (except maybe the English voice acting). I just did 7 hours in a single session, and I meant to quit about 2 or 3 hours ago. I’m really enjoying it, although my only real complaint so far is that there are like 6 different “skill trees” to upgrade, and you don’t get upgrade tokens all that often. At least so far, I’m not even all the way through Act 1 yet.

My favorite thing is getting the Ronin outfit, getting the white variant (with the Death headband, because it matches) and then going on a killing spree. That outfit barely looks white when you’re done because it’s so stained with blood.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4