DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Hard is really difficult. I'm dying a thousand deaths in a boss battle. I've been trying to put points into ninja and exploration but I could really use some better dodges and parries for this  duel.

Spoiler

Just beat that boss, the tengu demon protecting the cursed long bow. What an awesome visual with the blue chrysanthemums and bats flying everywhere obscuring the battle.

Also, I really dig that if you bow to the frog shrine near the coast in the north east of the starting part of the island a bunch of frogs appear. I'm guessing there are quite a few shrines like that.

But, yeah, combat is just about perfect. 

Edited by Jiji

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, it's in the pause menu under Options > Display.

Excellent.  And after a few minutes of mulling it over I got the damn game.  The love it's getting here and elsewhere plus the gorgeous graphics was making it hard for me to say no.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I certainly am not judging anyone that feels differently, but I have never felt the slightest urge to try and platinum a game. I just don't get it.

Hell, I don't really understand trophies in general.

It shows your participation AND how much better you are than everyone at using up every waking hour playing video games before you lose all sense of reflexes.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

It shows your participation AND how much better you are than everyone at using up every waking hour playing video games before you lose all sense of reflexes.

Sadly, you're right. I don't feel like I'm better than everyone....

I'm just glad I haven't Platinum'ed Hannah Montana The Movie...yet. If I do, I would be too ashamed to post about it here but you'll see it in my profile.

• Haha 1

For trophies, it depends on the game for me.  I try to 100% a lot of the old-school games (like the Arcade Archives, Anniversary collections, etc.) since score chasing was a big deal for those and I think it gets me more out of the game.

I don't really bother with most modern games though unless I really like them.  Usually they are too grindy or involve multiplayer.  I did 100% Sleeping Dogs and the Yakuza games I have.  Especially for Yakuza, it gives me an excuse to keep coming back and it fits the playstyle of the game as a whole.

To each their own, though.  If someone is getting enjoyment out of trophy chasing, I'm not gonna criticize.  IMO it's even a bit admirable in this day and age of game hoarding, especially with digital releases. 

Yeah if a game is enjoyable and the trophies are attainable without an absurd amount of dedication and frustration, why not go all the way to the Platinum? Hell, I've had a few pop up naturally without me ever seeking them out, or I've finished the game and saw that I only had to do a handful of additional tasks to obtain all the trophies.

I only have a few hours a week to play, and yet I have over thirty platinum's so it's not something you need to spend every waking hour on unless that's your hobby. plenty of people have hobbies I'll never understand but they make people happy, why should trophy hunting be any different?

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not judging anyone else. I just don't get it. I've never felt the urge to go back in a game and get a trophy I missed somewhere. But that's just me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not judging anyone else. I just don't get it. I've never felt the urge to go back in a game and get a trophy I missed somewhere. But that's just me.

What about replaying games at all? Like if a game is a great experience I'll go back, but for example, Beyond: Two Souls is an easyish Platinum but i barely got through it the first time because I didn't find it enjoyable, so yeah I'll gladly not get those trophies. Spider-Man? Loved it and gladly went back through. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

For me, it kinda depends on the trophies.  Some, where it's like "kill 5000000000 enemies" and you've got 2500 kills after beating the game - nah.  But some, like Infamous are just a few fun tasks after beating the game as both good and evil.  No problem doing that.  

I don't normally replay a game unless it's a wrestling game or sports game to fuck around with.  Spiderman I might fire back up at some point just to fly around but that's about it.

As for Ghost of Tsushima I'm loving the crap out of this game.  It's insanely gorgeous and I'm completely addicted to it.  I will say that for all the talk about video games being art with the Kurosawa mode they have this is a shining example of that being the case.  And with how great everything is I dare say they should consider taking the cutscenes and release them as movies.  Maybe down the line they should as I think that would do really well, especially for a video game movie.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Same here. I couldn't care less about trophies unless they actually resulted in you getting credits towards other game purchases. Otherwise, no way am I going back and wasting time to try and get the most brutal or rare trophies in a game. I'll just move on to the next game.

Every last one of the duels in Tsushima is super cinematic too. They did such a great job blending realism with that cinematic appeal for one helluva aesthetic. Between the look, the combat, and the setting, it's a top game for me. I do wish they were a bit more ambitious with some of the other gameplay elements though. I don't see how they do a sequel with this particular setting, but I'd love for them to maybe take some more risks and expand on what they've built here (and I'm not even that far into the game and I'm spoiler free!). I guess Kublai Khan's invasion? I dunno. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Or you set the next game in the Meiji Era. Make the storylines a little bit more grimier like they were in the 60s. I mean the game currently that’s out feels more like what you would’ve gotten prior to Yojimbo. I have likened this game to the Samurai Trilogy. A very colorful and optimistic view of samurai culture. So I guess the next game would be a little less optimistic, but I still wouldn’t go too far away from the way this game looks, and sounds.

Also there are tons of things they could do with a sequel. I mean this is basically making it more like a Rockstar game, but fuck it. I want a more immersive game with this setting. Keep the combat, the convenience of the way missions are close to camps, the pick up system, but give me gambling, eating, street performers, and scripted events. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think they could deconstruct the idea of the samurai a little bit more. It kills me when I see "peasant" for everybody else except you and a handful of others. I'd love something in the Sengoku Jidai and then finish off the trilogy with the Meiji Restoration.

Also, they should probably patch the wonkiness of the bear mauling Mongolians. Glitches pretty hard most of the time.

I’m loving the game, but to me this has been “Red Dead Revenge”, when the sequel can be “Red Dead Redemption”. I also feel they need better people writing, and constructing missions. There are way too many that are very bare in structure.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

That's a very valid criticism. A lot of them feel like they're missing a beat or two. 

Spoiler

The "ghost" one where it turns out to be bandits trying to reclaim the forest was so disappointing. It had SO much potential and the creepy forest at night was fucking incredible but then you just go merc some bandits and it's over. I'm still holding out hope that Onibaba is a legit decent character with some layers and not just a one off hollow side quest.