DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 7/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

You really didn't deserve that.  I was having a bad mental health night and blew up at something stupid.  I should have known what you really meant.  You've never given me a reason to think you're not a good dude and I acted like an asshole.  I hope you will accept my apology.

No apology needed, no offense taken.

Over the weekend I reread the posts and came to the conclusion that I should dial back the sarcasm/cynicism quite a bit.

I'm not going to blame current events on my mental health (or lack thereof), but the only one in control of the stream of consciousness that flows from my fingers or mouth is me.

If I have offended anyone with my ramblings, I humbly apologize.

Anyone that has read any of my music or film meanderings knows that my thoughts can be a cryptic mess.

• Like 3

Speaking of The Last of Us, I got my 173rd Platinum trophy with The Last of Us Remastered. Planning on finishing either Just Cause 3 or Mirror's Edge Catalyst then Platinum'ing The Last Of Us Part II for a milestone 175th Platinum trophy.

Or I may have Mirror's Edge Catalyst be the milestone Platinum since the Platinum name is so cool.

Speaking of The Last of Us Part II... how much was the Ellie edition originally? I'm not looking to pay too much for it on eBay and I just want to be informed before I put in offers and whatnot.

11 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

No apology needed, no offense taken.

Over the weekend I reread the posts and came to the conclusion that I should dial back the sarcasm/cynicism quite a bit.

I'm not going to blame current events on my mental health (or lack thereof), but the only one in control of the stream of consciousness that flows from my fingers or mouth is me.

If I have offended anyone with my ramblings, I humbly apologize.

Anyone that has read any of my music or film meanderings knows that my thoughts can be a cryptic mess.

No no no no. That's not how this works. Someone said something about you on the internet. You are supposed to be deeply offended, threaten to sue him, try to get him fired from his job and complain about it endlessly trying to get other people to share in your being offended. What the hell are you doing accepting his apology like a grown up and moving on with your life? THAT'S NOT HOW SOCIETY WORKS ANYMORE!

*edit to add* for the love of god, yes I'm being sarcastic

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

I am eight hours into The Last Of Us Part 2. I have reached the start of Day 2 and have found myself dreading where this game is going, and not in the "oh no what drama is around the corner I can't wait" way. spoilers ahead

One of my misgivings with the first game is that the idea of the gaming world losing it's mind over a game where a dad has to protect a child around the same time that most of the buying audience and critical audience was reaching the phase of their lives where they were having children meant that the majority of the praise of the story was a vicarious adventure they could slot in place of their own under-developed internal world. During the flashback at the museum, it became clear to me what this game was going to try to be: a tale about an under-developed psyche not being prepared to lose a parent. I dread this.

To be clear, I do not resent the idea of these stories being in video games. I just saw what this team did with "I'm scared of fucking up this child" and have no eagerness to see that same team meditate on "all the things I could have said." Especially as someone that lost my father at an early age.

By the way, the pacing of the "I think I'm pregnant" scene was soap opera shit.

4 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I am eight hours into The Last Of Us Part 2. I have reached the start of Day 2 and have found myself dreading where this game is going, and not in the "oh no what drama is around the corner I can't wait" way. spoilers ahead

Reveal hidden contents

One of my misgivings with the first game is that the idea of the gaming world losing it's mind over a game where a dad has to protect a child around the same time that most of the buying audience and critical audience was reaching the phase of their lives where they were having children meant that the majority of the praise of the story was a vicarious adventure they could slot in place of their own under-developed internal world. During the flashback at the museum, it became clear to me what this game was going to try to be: a tale about an under-developed psyche not being prepared to lose a parent. I dread this.

To be clear, I do not resent the idea of these stories being in video games. I just saw what this team did with "I'm scared of fucking up this child" and have no eagerness to see that same team meditate on "all the things I could have said." Especially as someone that lost my father at an early age.

By the way, the pacing of the "I think I'm pregnant" scene was soap opera shit.

Yeah, I got to the part where Dina revealed her pregnancy to Ellie and it was a complete 'oof' reaction for me from Ellie's reaction. Then I realized that Ellie is a messed-up emotionally fucked up character. She can't find her parents and Joel acted like he didn't want her when he first met her and just saw her as 'cargo.' Her relationship with Joel normalized a bit while at Jackson only to begin to get turned upside down and finally Joel's death.

The one thing I noticed that I liked is the changes in Ellie's voice from the museum scene to the abandoned hotel scene to where the game is now. Ellie sounded happy to recognizing that Joel lied to her to now sounding defeated and almost weary.

Another thing I noticed is Ellie saying she doesn't believe in luck, which is a subtle call-back to the first game. I guess David had an effect on her more than I realize.

I've been playing some Watch Dogs 2 since fighting cops and evil corporations sounded pretty good and I never actually beat it the first time.  This might be my favorite Ubisoft game.  It's fun, colorful, has interesting characters, and the stealth is actually enjoyable since the game gives you so many options.

It also has some really excellent dress-up, which helps.

• Like 1

not too far into Last of Us Part II but so far so good. I see why fans of the original would hate the direction of the new one but i am hoping the story picks up.  Some of the scenes have been brutal so far, also lots of pearl jam in this game, music, posters, etc,  waiting for it to be revealed that Eddie Vedder is the one in charge of all the bad shit happening in the game.  #realkingofseatle  #wescattle

Won a copy of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and I'm installing it, but gods only know if I'll ever play it. I saw what y'all said about it, and I'll have to be careful with it, but it's also gorgeous and the soundtrack is amazing, so here I am.

• Like 2

Changed the vocation on my Dragon's Dogma character from Strider to Assassin and life is much better.  I can now set abilities that gives me a huge increase my mobility for short periods of time and another that grants me brief moments of invisibility, but you can only have three active abilities at a time and they are tied to the weapons you have.

If you get thrown in the castle dungeon for misbehaving (which is a requirement for one of the quests you have to complete for The Hero triumph), your only combat option is to dodge.

As an Assassin, I can now use swords and shields as well as daggers and bows, but I think I will stick with the dagger / bow set-up since I have spent a lot of time as a Strider and have got the combat style almost down to muscle memory and reaction time.  Plus the movement buff and invis powers are tied to dagger combat.  I'm not terribly jazzed about the assassin abilities linked to sword or shield combat.

My pawn is a tall and heavily muscled female with a red mohawk, but you can't see it right now because she's currently wearing a wolf's skull helmet and also has a Dire Wolf Cloak in addition to her other armor.  She also has a pair of boots that look like those fur covered Norseman Uggs looking things. I'm going to try to keep the barbarian look going for as long as armor upgrades allow.

She started off as a Fighter, but I changed her vocation to Warrior and gave her a giant mallet because I needed someone that could dish out bludgeoning damage.

Yes, I named her Barda after the DC character, Big Barda.  I thought about designing her to resemble Big Barda, but I like the red mohawk.

I posted an image of her at the Dragon's Domain official club that got a lot of likes.  I thought about offering use of her online, but we're only 50th level or so right now.  Most of the higher rated pawns out there are 100 at the minimum so she probably wouldn't get hired by another player.

I think my crew was overleveled for one of my recent storyline quests.  We had to fight some scary archmagi and we splashed him before we cleared out his undead adds.  Poison Arrows FTW~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, Zimbra said:

I've been playing some Watch Dogs 2 since fighting cops and evil corporations sounded pretty good and I never actually beat it the first time.  This might be my favorite Ubisoft game.  It's fun, colorful, has interesting characters, and the stealth is actually enjoyable since the game gives you so many options.

It also has some really excellent dress-up, which helps.

I loved Watch Dogs 2.  The exchange between Marcus and Horatio during the Nudle (Google) mission is the best.

"But with two of us (ie black men) here at the same place, they're gonna think we're plottin'."

"WE ARE PLOTTIN'~!"

It was refreshing to see Ubi use the game as a platform to cast barbs at institutional racism in the form of Marcus & Horatio's joke telling contest on the bus ride up to the Nudle campus.

"What do you call a black man in front of twelve people?  The defendant! What do you call a black man in front of a thousand people?  THE PRESIDENT~!"

14 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Won a copy of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and I'm installing it, but gods only know if I'll ever play it. I saw what y'all said about it, and I'll have to be careful with it, but it's also gorgeous and the soundtrack is amazing, so here I am.

You will love the game.  It is highly addictive and the unsettling atmosphere is perfect. 

Just be prepared to never be happy while you're playing it and you may want to have ice cream handy to cheer yourself up after every gaming session you conclude.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Bought a few Xbox 360 games last night, so I'm in that mood where I look at the PS3/Xbox 360 libraries, and remember how damn good those two consoles were.  And Microsoft had so many good exclusives.  What happened?

I think I'd probably prefer that generation if it had the sort of indie support the Switch and PS4 enjoy.  Particularly when it comes to physical games publishers.  If Limited Run Games, Signature Edition Games, Strictly Limited, etc. had been around and supporting at the PS3, it'd have been a different story.  I actually think the PS3's library of God of War-style/Last of Us-style action-adventures is better.  There's a lot of games in that category that aren't "killer app" level titles, but I really enjoyed.  No More Heroes, Prince of Persia reboot, Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, etc.

Kinda feel the same way about shooters.  It helps that X360 had a lot of Gears of War and Halo titles.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I loved Watch Dogs 2.  The exchange between Marcus and Horatio during the Nudle (Google) mission is the best.

"But with two of us (ie black men) here at the same place, they're gonna think we're plottin'."

"WE ARE PLOTTIN'~!"

It was refreshing to see Ubi use the game as a platform to cast barbs at institutional racism in the form of Marcus & Horatio's joke telling contest on the bus ride up to the Nudle campus.

"What do you call a black man in front of twelve people?  The defendant! What do you call a black man in front of a thousand people?  THE PRESIDENT~!"

It's a great example of how far character and setting can go to make a game good, because a bunch of stuff (driving, shooting) are extremely mediocre.

I also have some Opinions about

Spoiler

killing the only other black character in the game to advance the plot

but in general the writing is really good, especially for an Ubisoft game.

I've also been trying to play AssCreed:Odyssey, but there's just too much game there.  There should be less game, or it should be more interesting.

• Like 1

Odyssey brought back Naval Warfare, which was fine.  Then they took out all the unique weapon abilities because of the reskin system and it neutered combat, which was not fine.  Then they replaced the Hidden Blade with the Spear, and gave us a game where a Spartan fought WITHOUT A SHIELD and it was really bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It's a great example of how far character and setting can go to make a game good, because a bunch of stuff (driving, shooting) are extremely mediocre.

I also have some Opinions about

Reveal hidden contents

killing the only other black character in the game to advance the plot

but in general the writing is really good, especially for an Ubisoft game.

The protagonists in the game were pretty interesting so I was emotionally invested in them. 

I thought that Lenni was a cool villain, but the main bad guy was fairly forgettable.  I think that's because The Plague from Hackers is my gold standard for evil techno genius BBEGs

ShadowyGoodnaturedDeviltasmanian-max-1mb

D1Vl4QcXcAAFO_y.jpg

and few guys can measure up to Fisher Stevens chewing on scenery.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Totally agree.  The only really positive thing that Odyssey added was the Sparta kick.

Yeah, I liked Odyssey but it was mainly due to it being set in Ancient Greece.  I played a fair bit but once they introduced Exploration Mode I was more than content with just using that to check out ancient areas (like the island my dad grew up on)  I might have to get one of the previous versions as those seemed like more fun.  Something about the combat in Odyssey just doesn't appeal to me much.

Odyssey was one of the rare examples of the 2nd game in a series (Odyssey was the 2nd AC game using the new Engine after the previous 9 using the same overall thing) where a lot of systems took a huge step back to make room for everything else.  Origins was just a way better game all around than Odyssey was, and a lot of it, besides the combat in Origins being lightyears better than Odyssey (seriously, the depth of combat with the shield and different weapon styles was insane in Origins), Odyssey was just too fucking BIG.  

• Like 1

Well fuck.  The homegirl from my character's fishing village has joined the clergy and left the game continent before I could give her my bond ring.  There went my primary romance option.

I guess I am going to have an affair with the Duke's wife.

Edited by J.T.