DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

Wait, did Crucible ever actually come out?  I swear like,  nothing for it, and have no memory of ANY Twitch streamer playing it, which also makes no sense as you know, you'd figure Amazon would beg people to stream their game on their platform.

It came out and was one of the biggest flops on Twitch ever, despite the initial sponsored stream push (which failed to attract anyone major I can think of offhand). I can't say what the actual gameplay numbers look like but as a viewership experience it was DOA.

44 minutes ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

it's been a horrific month for the FGC. Started with racism callouts, then sexism callouts, and now the exposure of rampant pedophilia problem. what a nightmare.

There was also the two days when most of the game journalists in my Twitter feed were posting their salaries and holding a discourse on how underpaid they are (was't totally sympathetic but they had a point given what comparable positions in other fields make and the cost of living in San Francisco and the like).

And tonight several of them are trying discussing openly their various mental health issues (mostly anxiety disorders of varying severity).

Yep, quite a month.  I think we're feeling like we're on the edge of being wiped out by the virus and have collectively decided to air out dirty laundry and crash and burn before that happens.

And now Evo Online is officially off and they will be doing everything possible to replace Cuellar.  I hope this doesn't turn into a whole Dragon Con thing where the other co-owners sue him and he hires Bob Barr and it drags on for 20 years.

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

If you think I'm going to shed tears for Joey Cuellar you're mistaken.

No one's asking you to shed a tear for Cuellar.  But a bunch of people have just lost their biggest payday of the year and a bunch of players and fans had a rug pulled out from under them at the last minute.  So in the context people use it after a mass shooting, a "thoughts and prayers" sarc response comes off less as "fuck Joey" and more "the non-offenders harmed by this are beneath empathy."  Fuck Joey. If the other execs knew, fuck them too.  But your response is still shit on toast. 

I'm at the point where I've gone from super cynical about humanity in college to overly optimistic after that. Now I've come to the opinion that there is a sizable chunk of society that can just be taken to a fucking island in the middle of nowhere left to destroy each other. How are you old enough to have a social media account and not be able to separate an actor or writer from a character they portray or created? In what world is it okay to threaten somebody's baby because that person played a role that did bad things to a character you like? I know Marisha Ray has been transparent about the hate/threats/vulgar stuff she receives in the recent past.

• Like 2

Also, related to Last of Us 2, there should be an option at the end of every chapter: "Go back home to Jackson." and it should have the best possible ending.

I'm like 3 days into Seattle and I'm like fuck this just go home.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I'm at the point where I've gone from super cynical about humanity in college to overly optimistic after that. Now I've come to the opinion that there is a sizable chunk of society that can just be taken to a fucking island in the middle of nowhere left to destroy each other. How are you old enough to have a social media account and not be able to separate an actor or writer from a character they portray or created? In what world is it okay to threaten somebody's baby because that person played a role that did bad things to a character you like? I know Marisha Ray has been transparent about the hate/threats/vulgar stuff she receives in the recent past.

It’s amazing how inured we’ve become to death threats generally. Like, anyone doing anything remotely unpopular should just expect that people will threaten to murder them for it, and the rest of us just shrug our shoulders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Now I've come to the opinion that there is a sizable chunk of society that can just be taken to a fucking island in the middle of nowhere left to destroy each other. 

Well, I mean, the US may well be a smoking crater this time next year, so....

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I didn't realize people liked that character so much.

I wonder if that's it, or it's a more general sense of entitlement.  I've seen a lot of people bitching on social media because they had a sequel for the game in their head, and Naughty Dog didn't make that game.  And then of course, there's the incel-ish crowd of people with an anti-LGBT agenda to push.  There was a dude in my Twitter feed 6-8 months ago who said he wouldn't buy the game because of it's LGBT agenda.  This was long before any story details about the game came out.  When someone asked him how a game he hadn't seen yet could have an agenda, he said "Well, it's going to be about a gay woman killing straight male zombies."

I sometimes think gamers are just more immature, entitled, and maladjusted than the rest of the world but social media makes me think I'm giving the rest of the world too much credit.

18 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

No one's asking you to shed a tear for Cuellar.  But a bunch of people have just lost their biggest payday of the year and a bunch of players and fans had a rug pulled out from under them at the last minute.  So in the context people use it after a mass shooting, a "thoughts and prayers" sarc response comes off less as "fuck Joey" and more "the non-offenders harmed by this are beneath empathy."  Fuck Joey. If the other execs knew, fuck them too.  But your response is still shit on toast. 

I feel bad for any "non-offender", as you put it, that has lost emotionally or financially.

But I think you know this has been coming to the industry for quite a while.

They've been able to pretty much skate by with minor inconvenience to their cashflow, but things are changing at a rapid pace as people aren't taking things like they used to.

Again, sorry to anyone that mistook my snark as attacking the victims.

And if shit on toast is the special of the day, make mine with sriracha and hold the shit.

I've been working my way through my huge backlog of PS4 games and I hadn't been able to put my finger on what bothered me about Darksiders till I read someone describing  it as "Gods of War combat with Tomb Raider style puzzles" and remembered how much Tomb Raider frustrated me. I would say 95% of Darksiders is an okay game play experience for me, it's that 5% where I find myself having no clue what to do and wandering around for like a half hour before giving up and looking at a walkthrough to figure things out. 

9 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I feel bad for any "non-offender", as you put it, that has lost emotionally or financially.

But I think you know this has been coming to the industry for quite a while.

They've been able to pretty much skate by with minor inconvenience to their cashflow, but things are changing at a rapid pace as people aren't taking things like they used to.

Again, sorry to anyone that mistook my snark as attacking the victims.

And if shit on toast is the special of the day, make mine with sriracha and hold the shit.

You really didn't deserve that.  I was having a bad mental health night and blew up at something stupid.  I should have known what you really meant.  You've never given me a reason to think you're not a good dude and I acted like an asshole.  I hope you will accept my apology.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Why don't people who DM death threats get *instantly banned*? Or do they? IP banned/hellbanned? Put on a big list of "people who send death threats" by twitter that we can all see so that we never employ/date them?

Because social media companies make fuck loads of money off the traffic those assholes produce.  Same reason Twitch won't hold and Top 100 streamer accountable for being toxic shits or not stomping out their toxic followers,  they make too much money off them.

• Like 3