DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

The fact that there are complaints about violence against dogs and it's just accepted that there is violence against people is probably a sign of a failed society.  The entire series is full of brutal, up close and personal, violence against realistically rendered human beings and no one bats an eye.  People decide they should warn you about dogs.  I'll never understand that.

I want to be clear that I'm not condoning this before I say it: research in movies has shown people are significantly more upset by dogs being killed on screen than anything else, up to and including infanticide. I'd assume it's much the same for video games.

So... take the basics from XvT, apply the Conquest modes objective system from Battlefront, and toss in a bit of ED physics...

Ok EA, you got my attention.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I want to be clear that I'm not condoning this before I say it: research in movies has shown people are significantly more upset by dogs being killed on screen than anything else, up to and including infanticide. I'd assume it's much the same for video games.

I'm not disputing the validity of that information.  I'm actually 100% certain that it's true.  My issue is that we live in a society where that is true, and it can't possibly be a good sign for the health of that society.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

So... take the basics from XvT, apply the Conquest modes objective system from Battlefront, and toss in a bit of ED physics...

Ok EA, you got my attention.

If I buy this game, I will probably cuss every time I play it because I suck at flying planes in video games.

13 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Anyone play Lode Runner Legacy and have an opinion about it?  I'm on the fence about picking it up.  

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of ordering the physical edition from Strictly Limited Games (EU), not just downloading it.   I'd like to have a stronger feeling about it one way or the other before I invest $50-$100  and several weeks of waiting on international delivery.  Doesn't look like it was reviewed by the usual sites I rely on.

Thanks.

It's AWESOME. Absolutely perfect example of how to update a retro game. The "classic" version has identical timing to the old Apple version. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna stand by my opinion that the first game is overrated trash.

In other news, I got maybe an 40 minutes into Alien: Isolation and I nope'd the fuck out of there. Never even saw a Xenomorph, but goddamnit just the atmosphere of the game is giving me mini-panic attacks. Fuck.

So I went and played some Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour and that calmed me down. Talk about nostalgia, good lord.

Dude, stick with Alien! If I can do it, you can do it, brother. I am such a baby when it comes to horror games dating back to hiding behind my dad playing the shitass F13th game on NES (I WAS 22~!). I had to play Alien in small playthroughs otherwise my heart would explode outta my chest like you know what.

They do such a great job building tension and atmosphere with the abandoned space station. But it gets better still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

update #1 of many: i am not enjoying The Last Of Us Part 2.

FWIW, it's exceeding my high expectations.  I'm don't usually play games for hours at a stretch or play obsessively over the course of the week or weekend, but I've been playing TLOU Part II kinda nonstop.  It probably helps that

Spoiler

I wasn't attached to Joel or Ellie.  As long as the creators are telling a good story, I don't really care what they do to those to.  Or any other fictional video game, movie, or literary characters, for that matter.  If the game is entertaining, they can throw Mario into a vat of acid for all I care.

I wasn't even a huge fan of TLOU.  I thought it was a very good game, and the ending was a gut punch, but it wasn't m favorite PS3 game or something I got passionate over.

I’m about 5 hours into TLOU2 and really enjoying it.  The opening sequence where you’re jumping back and forth between characters on a collision course with each other is spectacularly well done.

• Like 1

For whatever reason, I've decided to 100% Spider-Man. It's going well so far, I've got the base game and the first DLC to 100%, but instead of completing the last DLC and 100% the second one right now, I'm going to try and fight Taskmaster again since I lost to him the first time I tried this last year.

Fuck. I dread this.

EDIT: An hour later, and I got the platinum trophy for the base game. ?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is Thimbleweed Park the best adventure game ever? I think I'm at the last chapter and it was a total blast from start to finish. I really tried not to use the hint line, but still used it way more often than I probably should have. I sunk about 13 hours into it this weekend and it was the decompression I needed after this past week.

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

The biggest pain, to me, was the Screwball stuff. Just annoying as all hell. 

Luckily all you have to do is get Spectacular in all of the Screwball challenges. Some of those are easy to do, some aren’t. So far, I’ve only gotten one trophy for the Screwball challenges from the DLCs.

• Like 1

20190716-132509.jpgF

inally, finally knocking on the door of beating Yakuza 0, which I saved until I had beaten all the games in the series before it. Remembered that I forgot to share the time I got all shitty on Strong Zero and wandered around Kabukicho until I found the actual location of the Artful Dodger's parking lot.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

16 hours ago, Casey said:

For whatever reason, I've decided to 100% Spider-Man. It's going well so far, I've got the base game and the first DLC to 100%, but instead of completing the last DLC and 100% the second one right now, I'm going to try and fight Taskmaster again since I lost to him the first time I tried this last year.

Fuck. I dread this.

EDIT: An hour later, and I got the platinum trophy for the base game. ?

I'm at 97%. Meaning I've done everything except complete it on New Game+, and complete it on Max difficulty. And most likely, that's where I stay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm at 97%. Meaning I've done everything except complete it on New Game+, and complete it on Max difficulty. And most likely, that's where I stay.

Once I 100% all of the DLC, I might attempt New Game+ on the highest difficulty. I'm sure I'll break a controller or two in the process.

EDIT: Already at 8% on the NG+. Doing crimes and collecting back packs as I bring the towers online before I get deep into the main game, hopefully I save time this way. I'm not really looking to spend a month doing getting these two trophies.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Ran into the bug in Dragon's Dogma which almost kept me from getting the most benevolent ending for a quest which naturally costs you a shit ton of gold.  One of the NPC's disappeared from the game and I nearly fucked up and completed the angles for the other NPCs.  

Thank God I am distracted by shiny objects and went to go kill more Hobgoblins for armor upgrade items.  When I returned to the city, the NPC reappeared and I got to chat with him and then go back to the original quest giver rather than complete the chain with the NPCs.

I think I am on track to get The Hero achievement done on my first go.  You have to do all of the non-mission board pre-planned quests first and it is a bit of a hassle when you actually have to get NPCs to like you before they hand out their quests.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 8:46 AM, Raziel said:

Alien Isolation just out and out NAILED the atmosphere of the Movie. 

Yep, for sure.  I have never actually finished the main game, but I have played the Crew Expendable DLC many times.

Microsoft is shutting down Mixer and moving everything to Facebook Gaming

Apparently because of this all the big streamers who signed with Mixer - like Ninja - will be able to decide what platform they want to go to next

July 22 is the day the switch will be made

Insert Nelson Ha Ha gif here.

What platform can those assholes like Ninja fuck up next?

(Although ots not like Twitch is doing any better right now)

Apparently the thing was, the head of Mixer was a massive racist, and was exposed when her token diversity hire left and went public. So with it losing a ton of money and being about to get massive bad publicity (that would probably reflect up to parent company Microsoft), they just burned it all down.

• Like 2