DVDVR Message Board

2020 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Playing the Witcher 3. The game is pretty good but the world building is super derivative. It's like the author (of the books the game is based on) just looked at a map of England and very slightly changed some of it (like the city with all the Universities in is called Oxenfurt, which definitely doesn't sound like Oxford at all). The thing is, it's the first in the series to come out on a Playstation machine, and it based on books that nobody read before the games made them famous. And it's very much a sequel, in that everyone you meet immediately starts reminiscing with you about all the times you previously had together. And I've never met them and have no idea who they are.

Also, there's bare boobies in the game quite early on (you meet someone who's having a bath, and she doesn't cover herself up while you talk to her), but then when you go to a whorehouse the girl keeps her top on the whole time you're shagging her. Is that a thing in games, where sexual nudity is somehow more offensive than non-sexual nudity?

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Gotta know more about this opinion. I actually went into it not enjoying it at all but it won me over in the late game. 

short: i found the story to be at irreconcilable odds with the gameplay. you can't talk to me about the value of human life while you're luxuriating in snuff animations. also hold it accountable for the popularization of father stories in big budget games and therefore directly responsible for god of war 2018, a game so bad i didn't play another single player game for the rest of that year.

• Like 1

Totally understood, but if Neil Druckman is to be believed, a lot of the point of both games is to make players feel uneasy about such violence. Could be bullshit, who knows? Still, I'm just going through my second playthrough in a row knowing people's objection to the brutality and it's more than suggested in-game that Joel is basically a monster.

I've said it before but what won me over with the first LoU was the few times playing as Ellie. You felt like you had a true reason to be killing your way though because the fate of humanity was in your blood. Of course, the end totally throws that aside...

On 6/11/2020 at 9:30 AM, Control said:

I beat the story mode of SoR4 yesterday, and am pretty pleased with myself.

And yet I still cannot get better than a D on level 2. Damn that Comissioner.

3 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

short: i found the story to be at irreconcilable odds with the gameplay. you can't talk to me about the value of human life while you're luxuriating in snuff animations. also hold it accountable for the popularization of father stories in big budget games and therefore directly responsible for god of war 2018, a game so bad i didn't play another single player game for the rest of that year.

Wait... how can one hate GoW 2018?

Now I'm wondering what well-received games y'all have played and hated. Beyond: Two Souls immediately came to my mind, such a fucking chore to get through, a fairly easy Platinum that I never wanna touch again.

42 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

So now that it's on Steam, if you CAN play Persona 4 Golden and DON'T play Persona 4 Golden I officially think less of you as a human being.

#3 favorite game of all time buy it

Yeah, I bought it immediately when I saw that. I'm excited.

P4G is very good but I found it a bit... easy? Long-winded? The cast is phenomenal, the world is a delight, I spent 100 hours on it and was glad I did. But I'd recommend it to genre fans first and foremost, the "anime friend simulator fan" over the "JRPG fan", even.

• Thanks 1

Trying to Platinum Sayonara Wild Hearts currently -- got 7 trophies left. Gold ranking every level unlocks Yolo Arcade, which 2 of the trophies require it. The last level gives me a headache every time I do it and I've attempted gold for the past 2 hours. They went full Rez with the bullshit unnecessary sensory overload on that level.

There's one level that blinks too fast and probably should have a seizure warning.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:26 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Our opinions on God of War couldn't be further apart, but The Last of Us is one of the biggest examples of lesser than the sum of it's parts in video game history.  I watched a review of The Last of Us 2 and it said something about the first game was only 15 hours or so long, and I would have guessed it was twice that length.  There's just something about that game that made me not enjoy myself in it's world.  With that said, I see the good in it.  Almost every individual piece of the game is exceptional, but I didn't actually enjoy playing through it.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for elucidating my thoughts on that so well. Mechanically it's largely pretty great. The animation in the new game is the best I have ever seen and it's not even close. But the story and dynamic between it and gameplay is pretty awful. To survive in that world, you must be awful and do awful things, feel bad about it. Seems like an endless cycle of that and the new game sounds very much more of the same. It is, as the Polygon review suggests at the end, completely out of time. That isn't the message most of us want to be hearing right fucking now, giving into animal survivalist tendencies. I think I'll pass on it. For my friend who loved the first one and is likely going to get it day 1, I hope he enjoys it.

edit: I forgot to add while praising aspects of the first game, the basement in the hotel or whatever it was, with the chainsaw, was legitimately horrifying. I think somebody had spoiled it for me, so I knew it was coming and it still scared the bejesus out of me. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I'm getting The Last of Us Part II day 1 this Friday -- even getting the Collector's Edition. I may be in the camp that I think this game is fine for today's times -- but should serve as a warning. Same as The Last of Us did for me and BioShock Infinite (don't let the extremely religious/right-wing go nuts with their ideas and who could have thought 4 years later we would have idolatry that we see now in the WH).

A lot of what irks me reading about TLOU Part II are people almost gleefully spoiling the game on Twitter without even caring about the overall game and citing it as 'proof' of failure.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Now I'm wondering what well-received games y'all have played and hated. Beyond: Two Souls immediately came to my mind, such a fucking chore to get through, a fairly easy Platinum that I never wanna touch again.

GTA 5 for me.

• Like 1

I liked GTA IV when it came out but it's aged like milk on the counter.  I do enjoy firing it up every now and again to drive around the city and listen to the radio.

I think they got way up their own asses about the technical stuff and the story and forgot to actually make the game fun.

Both the expansions are better than the base game.

• Like 2

Ugh, GTA4  Never been more disappointed in a game.  Took themselves too seriously, and decided they were making The Wire instead of, you know, a game. 

Also, I have to wipe out a decent sized town to get to one guy, then I'm supposed to have a moral conflict over what to do with him.  Sure.

Never played the expansions to 4.  I got them both as a Christmas present, and didn't bother with it for at least a year.  There was never a chance I'd play the Lost expansion.  Trevor game me exactly what I needed Lost wise in his first GTA 5  mission.  Finally fired up the Gay Tony expansion one day and found the disk was flawed and I couldn't start the first mission.  Figured that was just as well and went on to something else.

GTA5 story mode is nothing special, but the basic game mechanics are far more fun than GTA4 and playing online with the DVDVR crew made the story mode just about irrelevant.