DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

RIPPA

It's Royal Rumble time of year! I look forward to the Rumble every year, sometimes cynically to see if they mess it up but mostly to see something great happens and it usually does. It also has lot of confusing spots like this one.

MachoYoko.gif?resize=600,338

Man, Macho had a real boneheaded three year stretch in Rumbles. He doesn't show up in '91, eliminates himself in '92 by accident and that dopey move up above. 

You could say those matches never did him any favors. In '89 he is thrown out by his friend and partner in Hogan. I'll give a pass for '90 though, I forget if he did something stupid but he had some goddamn bitchin gear that night.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

Bobby Heenan: "Dammit!"

w_I2f8.gif

The 1992 Royal Rumble match. Legendary for the match, Ric Flair's performance and the commentary by Bobby Heenan/Gorilla Monsoon. This isn't fair to Flair! I'll be watching this in the lead to this year's Royal Rumble event.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, Technico Support said:

To paraphrase something I wrote a while back...the best wrestlers work for the fans in the back row.  Steamboat works for the fans on Mars.  High school drama club kids look at Steamboat like, "damn, Ricky, dial it back a notch."

Who is misting Ricky here?

The only thing I wish they'd changed with Rumble 92 was Flair coming in at #1.

For me, the Rumble has always been defined by the surprise entrants. Jake returning at Rumble 96 was a big 'wow' as was Mr Perfect in 2002

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

The only thing I wish they'd changed with Rumble 92 was Flair coming in at #1.

For me, the Rumble has always been defined by the surprise entrants. Jake returning at Rumble 96 was a big 'wow' as was Mr Perfect in 2002

1989 started perfectly with Ax and Smash drawing #1 and #2, then turning their attention to Andre coming in at #3. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Man, every time I see Demolition, my youthful illusion of them as scary badasses fades more.  First it was grown-up me realizing that they just look like middle aged accountants all geared up for a BDSM weekend.  Now I also see that Ax got less than zero air on their finish and it was about as devastating and any old elbow drop from an standing wrestler to a grounded opponent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Man, every time I see Demolition, my youthful illusion of them as scary badasses fades more.  First it was grown-up me realizing that they just look like middle aged accountants all geared up for a BDSM weekend.  Now I also see that Ax got less than zero air on their finish and it was about as devastating and any old elbow drop from an standing wrestler to a grounded opponent.

As I got older, Demolition got scarier to me. I think it was someone on here that once said: "LOD looked like they would kill you. Demolition looked like they would kill you and rape your corpse.". 

As for Ax getting zero air, he is delivering the elbow to a practically immobile Mr. Fuji at WM5 in that gif. The elbow usually looked better than that. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As I got older, Demolition got scarier to me. I think it was someone on here that once said. "LOD looked like they would kill you. Demolition looked like they would kill you and rape your corpse.". 

As for Ax getting zero air, he is delivering the elbow to a practically immobile Mr. Fuji at WM5 in that gif. The elbow usually looked better than that. 

Great points.  They're probably protecting Fuji more than they'd protect Ricki Ataki.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Technico Support said:

Great points.  They're probably protecting Fuji more than they'd protect Ricki Ataki.

"The problem with wrestling Ricky Ataki is an hour later you want to wrestle him again."

I can't say it enough, but god bless the Brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As I got older, Demolition got scarier to me. I think it was someone on here that once said: "LOD looked like they would kill you. Demolition looked like they would kill you and rape your corpse.". 

Yeah, I agree with this 100%.  Demolition gets much scarier as an adult...or after you've seen Pulp Fiction, whatever comes first. 

• Like 4